Looking for a CD player.........
Mar 1, 2003 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a PCDP that is under 100 dollars. It doesn't have to be able to play MP3s or any other compression formats, just CDs. Needs to have goos quality sound from the internal amp, line out isn't needed. Doesn't have to have a remote or special features other than random and repeat. It's for my father as my brother destroyed his D-345. I think I'll also buy him a pair of HD497s to go with the CD player.

Mar 1, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 28
Oops, forgot about that, that's important, but most PCDP, if not all come with skip protection of some kind, right?

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Whitebread
Oops, forgot about that, that's important, but most PCDP, if not all come with skip protection of some kind, right?

Many of the old PCDPs don't have any skip protection (a vintage PCDP otherwise would have been an excellent choice because of price and sound quality).

Mar 1, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 28
My dad doesn't know diddley about PCDPs. He'd associate old with bad. So an old CD player is out of the question. It must be a new, current model.

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 28
hmm...i'm a 3rd generation panasonic boy and have not been disappointed yet. I've owned an SL SW505, followed by the SL SW850 and I owned an SL CT570, which I am currently in the process of getting another one...it's a long story. Without going into detail I found each player be progressively better than the prevoius.
The only thing I was ever disatisfied with was one problem with the SLSW505. I bought the unit from the store and listened to it with the stock headphones on the walk home(yech). On the home stretch one side cut out completely and I was only hearing through one earphone. I figured it was the phones but it wasn't. I tried with 3 pairs of my own and all gave the same result. So, I returned the unit and got a replacement, everything was fine until 8 months later the replacement did the same thing. ODD?? But it was still under warranty so I got it repaired for free. Now, a year or so later it's doing it again? I don't know if I am prone to causing this myself but I know i treat it well and have never dropped it?
Either way I am looking for another SL CT570, although it's discontinued it is such a fantastic player it's worth finding again.

my two cents worth...

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 28
Ok, well, I'l look into the Panasonic players. Thanks.

Mar 1, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 28
I'm looking for a good PCDP also. I dropped my partner's Sony (don't know the model #) and it immediately stopped working.
frown.gif
So, now I owe her a good player. I don't use portables so haven't a clue....

Are there some good current model Sony's? Any other choices besides the Panasonic?

She doesn't want an MD player - all of our CDs are "normal" size, retail....

Help - I'm in trouble!

Mar 2, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 28
Come on folks! Surely someone can point us to some good PCDP choices. Is there something better than the Sony D-E350?

Lots of the older model Sonys and Panasonics seem to be best, but they are also hard to find. Need something good and easily available.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 28
Whitebread - I take it you decided against the Panasonic PCDPs? HeadRoom's only recommendations for portable CD players are Panasonics, the 470 & 570, I believe, both of which are no longer made.

I read a post here where someone gave the email address of someone who works for Panasonic and can sell you new, in the box CT470s and CT570s, but now I can't find the post.
frown.gif
I'm going to look some more today. I'll pass it on to you if I find it. (If it's brand new, your dad won't know that they're no longer made, right?
wink.gif
)

Mar 3, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 28
I haven't decided against panasonic players, I just wanted to search out all brands. Though, I am intersted in those discontinued Panasonic players.

Mar 3, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 28
Can't seem to find the Panasonic email post. I should have bookmarked it yesterday.

Everyone here seems to rave about the older Sony models, but they aren't buying the new ones. For new players, people seem to have switched to the mini-disc format, which I don't want.

I may give up on this search for an apparently non-existent good PCDP and just buy a headphone amp for the Sony D-E350 my partner's using now. Perhaps the amp and the Eggo D66 headphones I just ordered for her will improve the sound enough.

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 28
Good luck with that, my dad needs something completely new. But he isn't too picky about sound quality casue he doesn't know what he's missing. So a new model will do fine for me, or him rather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back