Looking for a builder to do some case work on a Beta 22
Oct 11, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 19
do you have a soldering iron and know how to solder?

SumR encapsulated/shielded TX will be around $100.

Par-Metal 12x12x3 is $49 x 2 chassis for $98, plus $20-40 for PS umbilical connectors.

if you want a custom face-plate - FrontPanelExpress will be about $50-70 for a single face-plate. if going the Par-Metal route, the face-plates are more than serviceable. i think P-M is excellent VFM and pleasing to the eye in stock. i can hook you up with 5mm LED bevels FOC.

you can use your current TX, but would need to buy 2 chassis and connectors. do you have a hand-held drill?

the B22 is a DIY endeavorer. if you want something aesthetically more pleasing, we can help, if you're willing to do the work. i bet half the price of commerical offerings is tied up in the chassis.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #17 of 19
When you say the transformer hums, do you mean a mechanical hum, or one that you can hear through the headphones?
If it's mechanical, I'm not sure that a different/separate enclosure will help, unless there is something wrong with how the transformer is currently mounted. To me, it sounds like you have might have some DC running through your AC lines, or perhaps something is defective in the transformer itself.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #18 of 19
Placing an unshielded transformer close to a balanced amp will usually induce hum in the circuit with sensitive headphones.

If going the Par-Metal route with FPE panels, which I recommend as it looks very good, ask for the 20-12123C (clear anodized) chassis with no front/rear panels but panel frames.
It will be about $50 per chassis without panels, more expensive with panels if you want to do your own casework but honestly, it's usually cheaper to get it from FPE than pay somebody hourly wage to drill them and the result is usually better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back