Looking for a builder to do some case work on a Beta 22
Sep 27, 2009 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AtomikPi

500+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if someone (local would be better so I don't have to worry about shipping charges and damages) would be interested in recasing my balanced beta 22 for me.

It's currently in one case and which is creating unwanted hum and is also not particularly attractive.

The changes I would request would be (1) split into two par-metal 20 series cases (2) new aluminium hardware (4) replace the current xlr outs with neutrik combo 3pin xlr / 1/4" jacks
Here's one example of what I would roughly be aiming for aesthetically (not feature wise, and I'm not necessarily interested in it being quite that fancy with the engraving etc.), Naamanf's build: AMB Laboratories

I would need whoever is interested to make sure there's no hiss with low impedance headphones; this would be for use primarily with my JH13's.

The amplifier is 100% working right now so it would just be the case work.

If you're interested, send me a pm. If you don't have feedback on your DIY work, please don't contact me; I'm trusting you with an expensive piece of equipment and I need to know the job will be done properly and without unnecessarily long delays. It would be good to have an estimate of what you think the cost would be because if it's cheap enough I might splurge on a TP Joshua Tree attenuator.

edit: also, if this should go in the fs forum, feel free to move it

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 19
Things that might help the builder:

Are you using a Sigma22?
Two or One?
What volume control are you using at the moment?
Do you need single ended as well as balanced?
Do you need to drive speakers?
Photos inside and out.

AtomikPi, 90% of this job is computer/artwork files.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things that might help the builder:

Are you using a Sigma22?
Two or One?
What volume control are you using at the moment?
Do you need single ended as well as balanced?
Do you need to drive speakers?
Photos inside and out.

AtomikPi, 90% of this job is computer/artwork files.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, there's one sigma 22.
Currently, an alps potentiometer is in it, although I can't be sure which model.
I believe using the combo jacks would allow for SE in addition to balanced, although if it's a lot of work to wire that, then I wouldn't mind skipping it.
Speakers are not necessary.

Photos will be posted later today.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 19
If you don't care that much about the looks and are mostly concerned with the hum, a much cheaper alternative would be to just shield your transformer. From the pics it looks as though it isn't shielded at all. That would be a really easy fix and something you could do yourself.

Just a thought.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't care that much about the looks and are mostly concerned with the hum, a much cheaper alternative would be to just shield your transformer. From the pics it looks as though it isn't shielded at all. That would be a really easy fix and something you could do yourself.

Just a thought.

you could also spruce up the chassis with a custom faceplate from FPE. it looks like you have some slack in the front component wiring to do this without any soldering.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinFinnley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a thought.

If I can't find a builder, that would be an option. I would prefer to recase because it's not particularly attractive as it is.

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 19
^Although it's not a guaranteed fix for eliminating all of the hum. Another alternative and still cheaper than the proposed plan by the OP would be to re house just the transformer into another small enclosure and connect an umbilical from the transformer to the amp.

I've seen this amp before from memory, it would look really smart in a new enclosure.

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 19
On the AMB web site you will find a reference to YBM Audio as an approved builder. Ying at YBM is fantastic, although he is in San Fran so not local for you.

He built me a balanced Beta 22 with Simga 22 in a separate enclosure (pix on Ying's site) with fantastic, upscale casework, and the sound is great.

Contact him for sure -- he will work with you in any and all possible ways.

YBM Audio gallery

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 19
Bump. Still looking for a helpful builder.

Thanks for the suggestions above, which I will probably wind up resorting to if no one feels like taking the job. Or I might end up selling which would make me sad.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or I might end up selling which would make me sad.

I smell a pity party. You went through the work of a B22, why not finish it? Sounds like you got some pretty reasonable suggestions above...

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 19
AtomikPi,
stuffing boards is easy. chassis and wiring is the work. i think most of the DIYers here are too modest to charge what they think the time is worth.

is the B22 your DIY? if the answer is "no", this would be an excellent initiation to DIY. just post a thread over in the DIY forum - there will be plenty of members to help you through the process. if you're answer is "yes", well...
confused_face.gif

edit: btw, you've had more than one DIYer offering help. we all had to start out somehwere.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the AMB web site you will find a reference to YBM Audio as an approved builder. Ying at YBM is fantastic, although he is in San Fran so not local for you.

He built me a balanced Beta 22 with Simga 22 in a separate enclosure (pix on Ying's site) with fantastic, upscale casework, and the sound is great.

Contact him for sure -- he will work with you in any and all possible ways.

YBM Audio gallery

YBM won't do that. He once told me he either does the full build or not at all.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AtomikPi,
is the B22 your DIY? if the answer is "no", this would be an excellent initiation to DIY. just post a thread over in the DIY forum - there will be plenty of members to help you through the process. if you're answer is "yes", well...
confused_face.gif

edit: btw, you've had more than one DIYer offering help. we all had to start out somehwere.

Yes, I guess I could learn to DIY, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but I've heard bad things about the expenses of buying the tools and whatnot. It looks like my options will be fix it myself or sell, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately since DIY is nice to know).

I guess I should start doing some reading...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back