Looking for a beginner turntable, need advice!
Dec 24, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
The Duals I mentioned have a pitch control, easily removable headshells and can play 33, 45, and 78. It's very hard to find a low priced turntable of any quality that can do all that. I have one and it sounds great on both LPs and 78s... stock arm and all.

I have had a Dual CS505 in the past which lacked 78 rpm but was a cracking little deck for the money. Not really on a par with the Rega P2/3 though of which the Goldring GR1 is an almost exact clone so unless you need to play 78's which is pretty rare these days then the Goldring would sound better on 33/45.

The older Duals you mention look excellent on the http://www.dual-reference.com/ website. Another poster on here recently though with a 1218 said the top plate was plastic? is this the case? Hard to fathom on a table from 1972. Also its a belt/idler drive hybrid? interesting as I havn't seen these in the flesh.

Do you think it would take a modern tonearm? They seem more common in th e USA than the Lenco L 75 http://www.btinternet.com/~a.d.richa...enco_land.html
which is my choice for 78's as it has continually variable pitch from 16-86 RPM so can play the older 78's on which speed was not really standardised.

It also has the benefit of a heavy metal top-plate which can accomodate modern tonearms and fits the Linn LVV perfectly which also has easily removable headshells for the variety of stylii useful for 78's.

Dec 24, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 22
My 1218 has a metal chassis and it's direct drive. The tonearm on it is great. Arm resonanace can wreak havok with digital declickers, and my software runs through transfers from my 1218 like a lawnmower through grass. There is almost no ring out on loud pops. I can easily snip them right out and the waveform meshes perfectly.

It also works like gangbusters with the Burwen TNE7000a on LPs. The noise gate on the Burwen is as short as 1/10,000th of a second, and the Dual's tonearm seems to not add anything to the length of the ticks. The noise reduction is transparent.

The pitch control on the 1218 is capable of getting me to speed on 90% of all records, but I don't worry about it much because I always transfer a tad slow and then pitch it up digitally using a reference recording. As long as I'm within an eighth tone, I can finesse it into pitch as a last step in restoration.

See ya
Steve

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 22
Ticks are part of the fun of vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif

The only advice I can offer is look on Ebay. I wanted the same as you a Golding GR1.2 or similar Rega P2 clone like NAD533. I got quoted $700AU for both, looked on ebay and bought a used Rega P3 with a Rega Bias 1 catridge for $706AU in shipping and insurance. Since then put the Garrott P77 cartridge on it and I couldn't be happier.

Finally a source worthy of the rest of the equipment.

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 22
A used Rega P2 or P3.
icon10.gif
And get ready to boogie!!

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #20 of 22
I would suggest keeping an eye on what Dave has available at www.vinylnirvana.com. He does some great restorations and mods of vintage Thorens and AR tables, usually setting them up with modern arms. I bought a Thorens TD-160B Mk.II w/ a Rega RB-250 arm from him and could not be more pleased.

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 22
I'm suspecting that some people are no longer talking about under $300 with a cartridge any more. It's amazing how fast the upsell is in these turntable threads... a faster upsell than at Circuit City!

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back