Looking for a beginner turntable, need advice!
Dec 23, 2005 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been looking to purchase a decent turntable for a while now, and the time is almost here. I'm looking to spend under $300 if possible, but I could spend a little extra. So far I'm looking at either the Goldring GR-1.2 or Music Hall MMF-2.1. I also dont mind buying used. What I'm looking for is something with good build quality, and good sound. I'd mainly be using it with a Grado RS-1, and will probably purchase a Grado cartidge for the turntable later. The only turntable I've ever listened to was an old Radioshack, and I have extremely little experience with the vinyl format. Any help would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 22
You can get a good used Dual (1218/1219 1228/1229) for under $100 and a good used Thorens (TD160/TD165) for around $200. Check ebay... but you might want to search for auctions near you. Very few ebay sellers know how to pack turntables so they arrive in one piece.

Hope this helps
Steve

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Very few ebay sellers know how to pack turntables so they arrive in one piece.

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't mind buying a used unit, but I'd prefer buying from a caring individual from Audiogon or the FS/FT here rather than an Ebay seller who's only selling for a profit and doesn't know anything about what their selling. Also, there are virtually no good turntable sellers even close to NC
frown.gif

Does anyone know how the Thorens turntables listed above compare to the newer Goldring or Music Hall?

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 22
Have you checked the pawn and thrift stores in your area?
My brother found a Rega at Goodwill for ten dollars or so, he also found a B and O set up. He's in the durham area. But he'll go to every pawn and thrift store in a 50 mile area for bargains.
Don't you have a mid to high end chain there? I don't recall the name but they installed a grado for my brother.
When I went to visit fort bragg, we hit every army surplus/pawn shop in fayetteville looking for stuff.
Funniest thing I've found at goodwill, Used underwear. ladies, too.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 22
Sounds like a good idea, I'm planning on going to Raleigh next week, might as well stop by a few thrift stores while I'm there
smily_headphones1.gif
The only audio shop I know of in the area is Moon Audio, and Drew doesn't carry vinyl stuffs.

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 22
A Dual or Thorens are a lot better than the low end tables being made today. Back in the 70s, everyone had a turntable, and even the midrange tables were well made. Today, turntables are either cheaply built Chinese imports or expensive audiophile models. The midrange doesn't exist like it did in the 70s. It isn't hard to find a good used turntable. The only problem is shipping. Most people don't know how to lock down the suspension so a turntable doesn't bounce around inside its box. If you do your homework, you can get much more than your money's worth. It's a buyer's market for used turntables.

See ya
Steve

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 22
I believe I remember the 1200Mk.II. I thought that was a direct drive DJ table, though? Its model number, as I recall it, was the SL1200Mk.II. For audiophile purposes, I would opt for a belt drive setup--though the 1200 was a pretty decent table.

saturnine: Are you concerned about the "clicks" and "pops" which have been associated with analogue reproduction? I would have gone with a table years ago were it not for fear of this (perhaps unjustified?). It has been so many years since I listened to a table. I do not know if I would be too used to the black background of DDD CDs. The cleaning and care of vinyl has also concerned me. Anyway, I wish you the best in your pursuits, and would be happy to know how it turns out.

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 22
A modern deck like the GR-1 you mentioned will be better than the old Dual's out of the box although these are worth a look if you are on a tight budget and can get into tweaking and install your own modern tonearm, if this is possible. The Dual CS505 is also a great budget deck as are the Pioneer PD112, Sansui SR222 and NAD 5120 although these are not really upgradeable.

Thorens TD147/150/160/166 are probably the most tweakable old decks going as the arms are easily replaceable and upgradeable.

A Thorens with a stock arm out of the box will be the equal of the MH / GR1's and with some tweaking (better arm, new plinth, service) will take on all comers into the 2000USD territory and beyond.

The only drawback with these Thorens is that the suspension is a bit too springy for the Rega RB250 which is THE budget tonearm par excellence and forms the basis of most moren budget (-1500USD) decks. The high-end Thorens like the TD125/126 can take any arm and are much better built if you can find one.

The Technics SL1200/1210 can take an RB250 arm as mentioned and this makes it a serious contender as the level of build quality is superb. Far better than any of the other decks mentioned bar the more expensive Thorens.

Don't believe the hype about direct-drive not being audiophile. A Technics 1200 / Rega RB250 set-up will wipe the floor with any of the MH, Rega Planar 2 / 3, Project, Goldring GR1 type decks.

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
saturnine: Are you concerned about the "clicks" and "pops" which have been associated with analogue reproduction?

Yep, that's why I'm looking at a belt drive turntable and possibly a record cleaner later on. Hopefully by keeping the records clean the clicks/pops/background noise will be lowered or eliminated.

Thanks a lot for the explanation Steve, that certainly helped.

I'm going to swing by a few pawn shops later today, wish me luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
A modern deck like the GR-1 you mentioned will be better than the old Dual's out of the box

The Duals I mentioned have a pitch control, easily removable headshells and can play 33, 45, and 78. It's very hard to find a low priced turntable of any quality that can do all that. I have one and it sounds great on both LPs and 78s... stock arm and all.

The Technics mentioned above is a good table too.

See ya
Steve

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 22
If you are concerned with ticks, get a Burwen TNE7000a Transient Noise Eliminator. It's an excellent realtime declicker, and it is completely transparent because the noise gate is so short. Professional studios always had them back in the 80s, and you can pick them up used now on ebay for around $250. SAE made a realtime declicker too, but compared to the Burwen, it was a toy.

See ya
Steve

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 22
good luck satunine,
I know we go to the one near the bowling alley and foxy lady. I don't know if that's the beltline but it's the main road in raleigh. and there's one near nc state but you probably know all that.
And you got the two goodwill stores, one's downtown near the bus station, if I recall and the other is near a gun shop. I think the gun shop has moved since I've been there.

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
It has been so many years since I listened to a table. I do not know if I would be too used to the black background of DDD CDs.

I know the feeling... it's not hard to "mentally switch gears" though when listening to vinyl, and just disregard any surface noise (as long as it isn't extreme, of course). The whole associated ritual makes it easier to do
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do have a hard time with classical that has lots of quiet passages, but everything else is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Thorens TD147/150/160/166 are probably the most tweakable old decks going as the arms are easily replaceable and upgradeable.

I wouldn't say it's all that easy... a lot of people end up having to make custom armboards for the TD160 for example, which is not exactly trivial.

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 22
Precut armboards are available for the Thorens and Technics models mentioned.A teenage child could probobly change a tonearm in less than an hour the first time but for an adult, this might take a little longer.To the best of my knolege none of the tonearms of any Duel models can easily be upgraded or changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back