looking for a amp around $50 with phonak pfe
Feb 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

torres

100+ Head-Fier
I have not tried buying any amp before..
anyone gives me advice with an amp around $50..
atsmile.gif

I used to use it in bus, street..
I heard fiio e5 is a good choice at its price..and I found Nuforce Icon Mobile. double the price, but does it match the phonak better?
so, any others are better than e5 but around $50?
thanks

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 11
I had the NuForce and felt it wasn't a good match with the PFEs. The E5 is the best bet for convenience, and it will give you the bass and volume boost you need. There also are CMOYs out there, or the P2V2, a good starter amp around $60, but kind of clunky to carry around. That's a tough price point for an amp. Not much there. Usually need to go to at least $79 or higher. I just picked up a used T4 for $85. You could try a WTB post in the For Sale section.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Necessary, no. But it's a nice way to really get the best out of the PFEs. Some folks say they don't care about using an amp, the PFEs sound great to them without one. Give a listen, see what you think. Try both filters, in combo with the tips. But even if you get a cheap amp (E3 or E5) or spend a little more, like a CMOY, it can give the PFEs a nice boost on the bass side, which really will please your ears. They are not bass lite, but refined. Anyway, not sure if this is any help, but I am a major proponent that the PFEs are fine phones, but even go to a higher level with an amp.

Take your time, listen. If they sound good, no need to get an amp. Later, if you have a little spare cash and want to try an amp, get an E5 or a CMOY.

What's your source? Just curious.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 11
CMOY type amps generally do not have sufficient current output to make a differnece with IEMs. They are better at driving higher ohm headphones (that need voltage).

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Just purchased a PA2V2 about two weeks ago, it brings out the bass and treble in your cans. If you want to spend $60 and that is shipped, you can get a good starter amp in my opinion. I have really enjoyed it so far.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 11
I use an amp (iBasso T4) with my PFEs and love them. They sound better than my UE Super.fi 5s. I tried listening to them out of a HP port for comparison, and although they sounded good, they got that extra boost of quality with the amp/lod.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 11
I have an E5 with my PFEs and I think they are JUST ENOUGH for the pfes to make them shine. At $22 its a small enough investment to just try too, and its almost the same exact size as a sansa clip. The T4 would probably definitely be better but its quite over his price range at $108 + shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back