looking for a 200$ headphone with good soundstage and imaging
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AdonMrGveret

New Head-Fier
pretty much title. ive been daily driving my hd58x jubilees for about a year now, but i want to have a pair of headphones that are more immersive ig. i also currently have only 200$ to spend so thats my limit. dont question it. also im willing to buy used, though not much can be found used near where i live. ive been searching in a lot of places and people reccomend stuff like the akg K612/K701/K702/Q701/K712, or the hifiman HE400i, or the grado SR60X or the audiotechnica A & AD series, but i got very confused with all these options, which is why im making this post. ask me questions if you need to. have a good day

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 20
If you can find a Sundara used, its a good step on getting good soundstage.
As for the ones you mentioned, I personnaly have not owned or heard...

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 20
As the fellow forumer said above, a 2nd hand Sundara might be the best option. I really like the AKG 701 too, but I think that the Sundara is a bit more technical.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 20
The Hifiman HE400i is good for music, but the He5xx used will fit in your budget and are lighter and more comfortable. The Sundara has a tight clamp and wide soundstage, but flat as a pancake for depth. If you don't have an amp and get a used Audio Technica ADH1000x in budget you'll be really happy. I'm listening to another one that just came in today, and it's epic for gaming as well. I've gotten the He5xx a couple of times on eBay for $125 from liquidators there. It's a closed back headset, but the Beyerdynamic MMX300 is excellent, I used one as a daily driver for years you can steal one on eBay most times. With the silver DT770 pads they get even better.

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 20
hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. i haven't found a sundara that is within my budget where i live, new or used, and importing one would be really expensive to pay for customs. same thing goes with the he5xx, ad1000x, and mmx300 mentioned in dunring's post. can you please recommend me headphones that are a bit easier to find or that are cheaper to buy brand new, or just different headphones at all so i can check if theyre being sold here?

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 20
hey guys, thanks for the recommendations. i haven't found a sundara that is within my budget where i live, new or used, and importing one would be really expensive to pay for customs. same thing goes with the he5xx, ad1000x, and mmx300 mentioned in dunring's post. can you please recommend me headphones that are a bit easier to find or that are cheaper to buy brand new, or just different headphones at all so i can check if theyre being sold here?
The Koss Porta Pro. Or, Hifiman HE400se

Feb 17, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 20
The Koss Porta Pro. Or, Hifiman HE400se
i do have the ksc75, which afaik, use the same drivers as the porta pros with an open chassie. to my ears, it goes quite a bit narrower than the hd600 in terms of soundstage. it also has less imaging, though it is a bit tough to judge between these 2. but i have heard some stuff about the he400se, but ive also read that its worse than the he400i which i can find for cheaper. would be cool to hear planars though, but i do need to hear more opinions before actually buying something

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 20
I just recently found a second hand AKG Q701 here in the classified's .
$72 USA money....soundstage is great

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 20
I'm kind of baffled by the multiple planar recommendations.
Planars just don't have large soundstage.
They present a very 'tall' wall of sound, but it doesn't extend very far outwards in any direction.

Akg K700 series have much bigger soundstage.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 20
I'm kind of baffled by the multiple planar recommendations.
Planars just don't have large soundstage.
They present a very 'tall' wall of sound, but it doesn't extend very far outwards in any direction.

Akg K700 series have much bigger soundstage.
Can you elaborate on way planars don't have a large enough soundstage?

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 20
Can you elaborate on way planars don't have a large enough soundstage?
I can't say why since I'm not a sound scientist or headphone engineer; I can just say that planar soundstage is generally massively overhyped (as is the technology on the whole).
Like all driver types, it has limitations.
Planar soundstage = wall-of-sound.

To call planar soundstage 'good' is generous at best when dynamic open backs on the whole have the better and bigger soundstage.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 20
pretty much title. ive been daily driving my hd58x jubilees for about a year now, but i want to have a pair of headphones that are more immersive ig. i also currently have only 200$ to spend so thats my limit. dont question it. also im willing to buy used, though not much can be found used near where i live. ive been searching in a lot of places and people reccomend stuff like the akg K612/K701/K702/Q701/K712, or the hifiman HE400i, or the grado SR60X or the audiotechnica A & AD series, but i got very confused with all these options, which is why im making this post. ask me questions if you need to. have a good day
If soundstage/imaging is all you're looking for, then as mentioned K701 is an excellent option, but if you want immersion in-game then you may be disappointed with its lack of bass. However it is because of this lack of bass that you can hear things like footsteps just that much better, so it is a worthy tradeoff for some more competitive gamers

If you want bass and can take a hit to soundstage (though still excellent), then MMX300 Gen 2 with the Dekoni leather pads could be a suitable option, a used pair can be had within your budget and the pads are around 50 USD extra. It also offers a mic if you need it, and closed-back isolation

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 20
thank yall for the replies! ive went into an audiophilic discord server and they told me to go with audiotechnica's r70x instead of the k702, so my only question rn is which do i go with?
If soundstage/imaging is all you're looking for, then as mentioned K701 is an excellent option, but if you want immersion in-game then you may be disappointed with its lack of bass. However it is because of this lack of bass that you can hear things like footsteps just that much better, so it is a worthy tradeoff for some more competitive gamers

If you want bass and can take a hit to soundstage (though still excellent), then MMX300 Gen 2 with the Dekoni leather pads could be a suitable option, a used pair can be had within your budget and the pads are around 50 USD extra. It also offers a mic if you need it, and closed-back isolation
i have found these headphones for sale near where i live, but theyre closed back and i dont mind taking a hit to the bass. besides, i already have the k52 and am planning on getting the dt770 in the future. thanks for your answer, though!
I have a pair of AKG K702's and they have a large soundstage and are quite detailed. A bit lacking in bass unless you do a mod.
i have seen people mod these, where they remove the sticker and the foam to add extra bass, but i figured i probably dont wanna mess with it that much for a mod thqt will probably not add much at the end of the day. still, thanks for replying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back