Looking for a ~$1000 amp for exclusive use with RS-1!
Feb 2, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
It turns out that I have recently found a large sum of money in my name, and I plan to use some of it for a Grado rig. I will most definately be purchasing the RS-1 (<3 them!), and I'm looking for a good tube amp to power them. So far I'm looking at the Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ Purist HD. Can anyone provide some solid opinions on the Ear+ with the RS-1 other than "it just sounds good", or recommend another tube amp? I want to spend less than $1k, but can go higher if there is something much better. The source will be either a EMU 1212m soundcard or a future vinyl rig, and music preference is everything under the sun
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 28
Dynahi. Or if your budget is willing to go a little higher RSA Raptor. These are two of the best amps for grados that I have heard.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 28
I'm mainly looking to go tube based, so the (admittably awesome) Dynahi is out of the question. I have been eyeing the Raptor, but I'm curious about how it would compare to the Ear+.

The Raptor is twice the price of the Ear+ too... Decisions decisions...

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I have been eyeing the Raptor, but I'm curious about how it would compare to the Ear+.

Can't help you there as I haven't heard the Ear+. I will say though that the RSA Raptor would be at the top of my list If I was going to build a system exclusively around the RS1s.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 28
I listened to the RS-1 straight out of an Apogee MiniDAC using its built-in headphone amp and it was glorious.
rs1smile.gif

I was pretty shocked. Great synergy there. And I really dig that MiniDAC as a source. There's one on Audiogon for $700 right now. For a pretty elite DAC w/ a good headphone amp, that's a bargain.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 28
Earmax Pro plus some NOS tubes
rolleyes.gif
Could be one of the best solutions.

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 28
The SLAM PPX3 is the best sounding tube amp I have heard for driving low impedence headphones in this price range ..... or even well above ..... and I have compared the SLAM PPX3 directly to the Ear+. The SLAM PPX3 is also an excellent pairing with the AKG K 701's and drives these headphones with ease. The EAR+ I had here had cap upgrades and another upgrade I cant remember. The EAR+ was definitely not a base model.

At $799 the SLAM PPX3 isnt that much more than the EAR+ ..... and its $400 less than something like the raptor. Despite having several tube amps already ..... I got another SLAM PPX3 last week. The pure stock SLAM PPX3 is one of my very favorite amps period; great with the senn 600/650's too.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 28
sacd lover, I know you have listened to a lot of Singlepower amps.. How does the MPX3 or Supra compare to the PPX3 Slam with the RS-1? I've demoed a stock PPX3 with both RS-1 & HD-650 and was impressed, but how do the big boys stack up?

OK, forget about the $1k limit. It's now $1.5k.
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
If you're going to spend that much, why not consider going balanced?

Probably because his budget is at the bottom end of the balanced amp cost scale, with couple of exceptions. Then he'd need to get a balanced source, new IC's, and figure out a way to have his RS-1's recabled/reterminated in balanced configuration. Add all of this up and it's way beyond his stated budget.

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Probably because his budget is at the bottom end of the balanced amp cost scale, with couple of exceptions. Then he'd need to get a balanced source, new IC's, and figure out a way to have his RS-1's recabled/reterminated in balanced configuration. Add all of this up and it's way beyond his stated budget.

Exactly
smily_headphones1.gif
Believe me, I have considered a completely balanced rig, but it is quite a bit more than I'd like to spend ATM.

Also, does anyone know what the current prices are on the Singlepower amps?

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Exactly
smily_headphones1.gif
Believe me, I have considered a completely balanced rig, but it is quite a bit more than I'd like to spend ATM.

Also, does anyone know what the current prices are on the Singlepower amps?

PPX3-6CG7- $649
PPX3-6SN7- $749
PPX3 SLAM- $799
MPX3- $949
MPX3 SLAM - $1050
Supra - $1899
Supra XLR - $3500

There's actually a thread that lists most of the prices, search for it.

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 28
Thank you so much PFKMan! I actually did a search a while back, and didn't find squat.

As of now, I'm mainly looking at either the MPX3 SLAM, Supra or Raptor. Has anyone here compared the three?

Darn Head-Fi... I started out wanting a $600 amp, and now a $1050-$1900 amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Then he'd need to get a balanced source

Actually I believe that you can get a balanced signal out of a 1212m with proper ICs. Finding a balanced tube amp in his price range might be the only limiting factor. Although he could always ask mikhail about pricing on a balanced ppx3 slam or balanced mpx3 slam.

Also I believe that Ray Samuels offers a 30 day return policy on all of his stuff. Might be a good way to demo a Raptor. I'm not sure whether mikhail does the same thing but it would be worth investigating. As always the best way to make this type of decision is to listen for yourself.

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

sacd lover, I know you have listened to a lot of Singlepower amps.. How does the MPX3 or Supra compare to the PPX3 Slam with the RS-1? I've demoed a stock PPX3 with both RS-1 & HD-650 and was impressed, but how do the big boys stack up?

OK, forget about the $1k limit. It's now $1.5k.
icon10.gif

Actually right now I have a Slam ppx3, Slam mpx3 and a Supra-6sn7 that is equipped with tube adapters and the 5687 output tubes ..... essentially making the amp a Supra Slam. Be aware, the Slam versions are definitely faster, more dynamic and more powerful sounding than the stock amps. As for the ppx3/ mpx3 comparison, the Slam mpx3 has a more extended bass, slightly more openess and a little more refinement and dimensionality than the Slam ppx3. But any of these Slam amps are so satisfying to listen to you cant go wrong.

My Slam ppx3 is my newest amp and I have been playing this one the most of late. These amps are entirely different beasts with the 5687 output tubes. The new AKG K701 I am using is a tough load for a tube amp, more difficult than the grados from my experiences ..... but the Slam's drive the 701's with ease and authority. There have been complaints the 701's might be a little bass shy too ..... not with the Slam's.

I am continually surprised
eek.gif
how the Slam's can sound so good with seemingly any headphones ( senn 600/ AKG 701/ Grado sr-225- RS-1) ..... and they arent picky about IC's or power cords etc..

I also want to mention I am hearing absolutely no noise with any of the low impedence headphones I have tried. The amps remain dead quiet. I dont know how important that is to you but its a must for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back