Looking for ~$75 phones. Decent bass, low profile, no extreme isolation.
Jan 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Noshtero

New Head-Fier
I unfortunately can't "try before I buy" so I'm seeking your advice.

Currently, I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300s that are starting to cut out due to me not taking care of the cables. I've learned the lesson, but also would like to upgrade.

I've read a boat load of reviews, but I have a little different criteria than most.

I like bass, but not BOOMY ghetto bass. I like low profile because I wear them under a balaclava when I go run in the winter, and it hurts if they stick too far out from my ears. On that note, I don't want extreme isolation because I need to be able to hear car horns and whatnot.

I've looked at:
UE super.fi 3
Denon AH-C551K
Audio Technica ATH-CK7
Sennheiser CX500
Shure SCL4

I think I've ruled out the SCL4's because they apparently have low bass response.

Would you be able to help me choose based on my criteria? Or if you really want, make it even harder by suggesting a different option altogether
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 15
Jan 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do they have to be buds?
Amazon.com: Sennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphones: Electronics

they are still $30

Yes. Anything else is cumbersome when I'm out running. They don't have to be deep IEM style though, and probably shouldn't be due to my isolation concern. That's why I like what I guess they're calling "canalbuds" now. They go inside your ear canal, but not nearly as deep as IEM would. I think all the ones I listed would work. I would just want to avoid something like the Shure, which rides very deep in the canal. Getting smeared by a car while I'm jamming doesn't sound like much fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 15
Audio Technica CK7 are great earphones, but definitely not a bassy ones. Take Denons C551 or Sennheiser CX500 (beware of the fakes).

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 15
I have used JVC FX-66 ($38 after tax) while training for my half marathon. They are great while using my ipod Nano 2nd gen with apple lossless files.

Since you are going to be sweating and beating up the IEM, don't spend a lot of money. They will only last about 6 months under that kind of beating. You need to be able to replace them without losing a ton in the process.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 15
You can rule out the UE SuperFi 3 they will stick out quite a bit. The SCL4s will not have decent bass from a portable.

If you can find the Jays D-Jays, they are very good and very low profile. You can get the NE-7Ms too.

Update:-I have to retract my statement about the SCL4 not having enough bass from a portable. They do! Since they are so good they reveal the source recordings quite a bit. Lossless sounds so much better than 219 vbr mp3. They have more tuneful bass.

I was listening to some songs on the SCL4, switched to the NE-7m, then switched back (same songs). The SCL4 is just much better. the imaging is better and the sound is so clear. The NE-7m sounds congested (wide ,flat 2D distorted soundstage). The SCL4 is just 3D sounding. I want to listen more to the SCL4 than the Ne-7m. For $80 I would recommend them highly.

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 15
I agree with Gollie. The JVC FX66 have great bass and are so very comfortable and cost very little.

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnosx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Denon C551K will fit the bill quite well.
Small bud, decent bass, no total isolation
While the cable may look flimsy, I like it because it's not heavy and thus has less microphonics (to me at least)

hmm, actually nvm. I just remember it has a short cord + long cord extension configuration. So if that would be something of an annoyance, then it's probably not for you.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 15
Don't get the crossroads. Under that kind of stress, they will break in no time (ie build quality = not so good).

I would agree with the other two on the JVC's. If you're only using it for running, you probably won't care too much about the sound quality compared to higher level phones when you're running, and I agree that its good to have something cheap for working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back