Looking for <$50 in-ear. Use on a farm. Tractor/tiller/chainsaw.
Dec 24, 2013 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dancingmongoose

New Head-Fier
My trusty old Koss Pathfinders have finally bit the dust after much abuse. Seriously, these things have been tugged out of my ears a lot.
Looking for something with a bit better sound quality now since I was using them indoors for my phone and 3DS.
They still need to be able to block out a majority of really loud noises, diesel tractor, MS-290 chainsaw, ect. That kinda stuff. And at least as durable as the pathfinder.
Looking at Senn, Klipsch, Bose, and even Sony, going insane trying to figure out what is good from these reviews. 

Please, help. x_x 

Been using the Koss UR-20 for in house listening on my computer, which I think sound good, not great, not bad.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 6
  My trusty old Koss Pathfinders have finally bit the dust after much abuse. Seriously, these things have been tugged out of my ears a lot.
Looking for something with a bit better sound quality now since I was using them indoors for my phone and 3DS.
They still need to be able to block out a majority of really loud noises, diesel tractor, MS-290 chainsaw, ect. That kinda stuff. And at least as durable as the pathfinder.
Looking at Senn, Klipsch, Bose, and even Sony, going insane trying to figure out what is good from these reviews. 

Please, help. x_x 

Been using the Koss UR-20 for in house listening on my computer, which I think sound good, not great, not bad.

Soundmagic
Brainwavz
mee-electronics are quite popular

Give us some genres you listen to, and what kind of sound type you want. (bassy, clear, neutral etc etc)

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 6
  Soundmagic
Brainwavz

Give us some genres you listen to, and what kind of sound type you want. (bassy, clear, neutral etc etc)

I like clear, natural, not like somebody banging a 50 foot drum, and not like birds chirping through a tin can. I know it's hard to get something exactly great in that price range, but something that'll probably break eventually and can grab a new pair.

8-bit/16-bit video game music, metal, classical, 'pop', country, trance, electronic, dub, even a little of the old(80s-90s) rap songs. If you listen to some of the songs from the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack, that'll give a pretty clear picture of what kind of stuff I listen to. 

(Would also like some recommendations on new in-the-house headphones, preferably long cord and cover the ear, not like a porta-pro by koss where it's flat on the ear)

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 6

Soundmagic
Brainwavz

I like clear, natural, not like somebody banging a 50 foot drum, and not like birds chirping through a tin can. I know it's hard to get something exactly great in that price range, but something that'll probably break eventually and can grab a new pair.

8-bit/16-bit video game music, metal, classical, 'pop', country, trance, electronic, dub, even a little of the old(80s-90s) rap songs. If you listen to some of the songs from the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack, that'll give a pretty clear picture of what kind of stuff I listen to. 

(Would also like some recommendations on new in-the-house headphones, preferably long cord and cover the ear, not like a porta-pro by koss where it's flat on the ear)

You might find something like this discounted somewhere:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5.html
You're not going to beat Ety's for sound isolation and their response is very clear and natural.  People complain because the bass is not strong, but sounds like you'd appreciate that.

You can check some of the threads on Ety's in the portable headphones section.  There are pilots and airline ground crews who use Ety's and never hear anything but the music.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 6

You might find something like this discounted somewhere:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5.html
You're not going to beat Ety's for sound isolation and their response is very clear and natural.  People complain because the bass is not strong, but sounds like you'd appreciate that.

You can check some of the threads on Ety's in the portable headphones section.  There are pilots and airline ground crews who use Ety's and never hear anything but the music.
wink.gif

Honestly, if I wanted to hear a lot of bass, I'd listen to more dub. Not much point in listening to some music if half the instruments are drowned out by the wubwub. :)
I'll look into those and see if anything else pops up.
Thanks!

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 6
I've got a set of Klipsch S4a's that I use.  They are pretty amazing for the price point and I think you can pick one up from Amazon for as little as $40 IIRC.  The buds are pretty amazing and the isolation is among the best that I've used to date.  In comparison to the Audio Technica ANC33is, the isolation is much better and barring extremely low frequency noise, lets me listen through noise much better.  Once you turn the music on, you can barely hear anything even at lower volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back