Looking for 400i upgrade
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

lior777

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Looking to upgrade my hifiman 400I ( trable harsh)
Hear mostly man vocale with musical instruments.
looking for depth, stage, excitement, want emphasis on guitar, drums, flute, deep bass

until 400$

EDIT:

I decided go to buy the sundara.

my amp is rega ear + Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC

Hear mostly music with musical instruments, emotion, male voice

I want to hear emphasis on drums, cymbals, guitar, sound

Should I buy a new set of dac+amp? any recommendations?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 30
What sources or DAC/amps do you currently plug your headphones into?

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 30
i have the amp rega ear + Maverick d1 dac

Think about upgrading them
Wow, just realized you had listed that in your first post.
Wonder if changing the ear pads on the 400i might help with the treble issue.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 30
Depending on budget you can go:
1.) Philips X2HR/27
You get better build quality, deeper bass, better comfort, and some great treble be it toned down from the 400i. I own and use both daily and prefer the X2HR/27 for almost ask if my hi-fi tracks.

2.) LCD-3F
A planar with some of the best bass and treble blend I’ve heard. The impact isn’t as fun as the X2HR/27, but it’s cleaner and extends deeper. My major gripes are driver longevity and overall comfort. It’s too heavy to be a daily headphone.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 30
You lose a good bit of resolution going from the H400i -- to be clear I have the HE-4XX, but they're close cousins -- to the X2HR (not familiar with the /27 bit?), but I agree it will take care of your treble issue.

Looked up the Rega Ear and the first review I saw said the gain is super high (28db) and they hated it with the 400i, so... Maybe the amp is the real issue?

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 30
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 30
2.) LCD-3F
A planar with some of the best bass and treble blend I’ve heard. The impact isn’t as fun as the X2HR/27, but it’s cleaner and extends deeper. My major gripes are driver longevity and overall comfort. It’s too heavy to be a daily headphone.

That varies by person. I find the Audezes among my most comfortable headphones.. They're surely not portable though :D

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 30
If you're in the US I think the X2HR for $130 is hard to beat for the kind of sounds signature you're looking for. If outside the US, sorry, I don't know. I saw some in Europe found the X3 for like 210 Euros not long after release?

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 30
I returned my hifiman Deva because of harsh treble and ended up with the Audio Technica ATH-R70X and absolutely love it. Super comfortable and the sound had everything I was looking for, including strong bass. Needs a lot of power, but my Magni Heresy seems to do just fine on low gain.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 30
I returned my hifiman Deva because of harsh treble and ended up with the Audio Technica ATH-R70X and absolutely love it. Super comfortable and the sound had everything I was looking for, including strong bass. Needs a lot of power, but my Magni Heresy seems to do just fine on low gain.

Love the R70X.

With (at original retail) $2000+ in closed backs in front of me, I regularly come back to the R70X for reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back