Looking for £60 headphones
Apr 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LackOfCTRL

New Head-Fier
The usual: I've got about £60 to spend and I'm looking for headphones, I would like something with a decent design (I'm a sucker for shiny plastic and LED's), decent comfort but foremost good sound quality (for the price ofc). I'm not an audiophile and good bass is usually enough to make me happy, the headphones will be used mostly for gaming however I would like to enjoy music on them as well (emphasis on dubstep/electro). I don't mind durability as long as they last me about a year and a half, I am expecting an upgrade around that time. Portability means nothing to me as they will be used at home.

Headphones I'm looking at atm: Razer Kraken/Electra (I know I know, as I've said I like shiny plastic and LED's :wink: ) , Audio Technica ATH-WS55/ATH-SJ55, Steelseries 5H, SS HD229 and HD419

Thank you for your opinions :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Lovely, those aren't the headphones I am looking for :wink:

I would try the Sennheisers you've mentioned. I haven't tried them, but people seem to like them, especially for bassy music. Otherwise, the Creative Aurvana Live! are good sounding, although they may not be bassy enough for your tastes and if you can find a pair of Sony Xb500's they are also very good basshead headphones.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Denon d1100 is the best I've come across under £100.

If you're in the UK then they're currently £60. If you find headphones under that price that you think are better in sound, then I'll give you the money myself....joking.......but they are very very good!

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I would try the Sennheisers you've mentioned. I haven't tried them, but people seem to like them, especially for bassy music. Otherwise, the Creative Aurvana Live! are good sounding, although they may not be bassy enough for your tastes and if you can find a pair of Sony Xb500's they are also very good basshead headphones.

Can't really find the Sonys and I've heard a lot good about the SS's too, also I see from your signature that you've had some previous experiance with Audio Technica, could you please give me a quick little opinion on the brand?
Quote:
Denon d1100 is the best I've come across under £100.

If you're in the UK then they're currently £60. If you find headphones under that price that you think are better in sound, then I'll give you the money myself....joking.......but they are very very good!

I have heard about them being good however the design displeases me, I am a materialistic man who like having pretty things but thanks for your input :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 11
I a fan of audio technicas large over ear designs, especially the new A***X and AD***X series. Not so much of a fan of the M50 family and I've not tried any of the smaller portables.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Wow this thread went bad 
blink.gif

Another shout for Creative Aurvana Live here. Fantastic sound quality for the money!

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 11
I decided to go with the HD429s since I've heard that you can't go wrong with Sennys. I've got them now plugged into SB Live! 24-bit (Some sound card I've had for ages now I don't know nothing about it) and whenever I try to listen to music about 50% volume I get distorted bass. Now these are my first headphones so I've got no idea what would the cause me, are they just not good enough, are they faulty or as my friend suggested; I need an amp. I ordered a Fiio E6 because it seemed to fit my needs and it should arrive tomorrow, my question is: will the amp make the headphones sound deeper and more bassy or are they faulty? Or should I just get a better soundcard because it sucks? Also they sound really quiet on my phone and I get a very bad bass distortion on loud volume (which is very quiet btw). I thought because they are 32 ohm they would be easy to drive and I can't find much on the web about similar problem to mine. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I decided to go with the HD429s since I've heard that you can't go wrong with Sennys. I've got them now plugged into SB Live! 24-bit (Some sound card I've had for ages now I don't know nothing about it) and whenever I try to listen to music about 50% volume I get distorted bass. Now these are my first headphones so I've got no idea what would the cause me, are they just not good enough, are they faulty or as my friend suggested; I need an amp. I ordered a Fiio E6 because it seemed to fit my needs and it should arrive tomorrow, my question is: will the amp make the headphones sound deeper and more bassy or are they faulty? Or should I just get a better soundcard because it sucks? Also they sound really quiet on my phone and I get a very bad bass distortion on loud volume (which is very quiet btw). I thought because they are 32 ohm they would be easy to drive and I can't find much on the web about similar problem to mine. 

Low end Sennheisers generally...suck. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back