Looking at the Sony UDA1/S amp/dac
Mar 24, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #46 of 60
Am thinking of buying a Vahalla 2 to connect to the Sony's DAC Out for high-impedance Senns & Beyers. Will then connect the 2.1 speaker setup to the back of the Vahalla. However, I need to talk with Schiit about this prior to pulling the trigger as the Vahalla's 'preamp outs' are variable not fixed.

What's wrong with a pre-amp in your setup?

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #48 of 60
Sorry about reopening an old thread, but I just received a used UDA-1. You don't want to know what a great price I got :)

I set it up Mac -> UpTone Regen -> Sony -> Liquid Carbon

This allows me to easy switch headphones between the Liquid Carbon and the Sony, but both amps use the Sony as a DAC. Out of the Sony I'm using a SE to XLR converter so I can use balanced headphones and switch easily. Man, the differences are subtle, but the LC extends a little lower (or the mids are boosted as asserted earlier in this thread). Still, the Sony is pretty darned good.  

The speaker amp doesn't get crazy loud (I'm using MartinLogan LX16 speakers), but plenty loud enough. I doubt I will ever turn the volume past 12:00 with the speakers. 

Trying it now with my Ether C and T1, my hardest to drive (volume wise) cans. If I were inclined to listen very loudly on the Ether C, I would find the Sony amp to be too weak. I can actually turn it all the way to max and not have my ears bleed.

T1 (gen 1). Volume set to 3:00 on the Sony and my ears bleed.

I certainly don't think I need my Oppo HA-1 anymore.

I then connected the Oppo to Mac USB, then to the LC via balanced out, and the to the Sony via line out. I can now use the Oppo as the DAC and switch between the Sony, LC, and Oppo :) Also switched the headphones to HD800 single ended. My verdict is the same as earlier in the thread. Less detail from the Sony amp, even when taking the Sony DAC out of the picture. It's the amp that mostly colors the sound.

One final test. Mac -> Sony -> oppo -> LC-> HD800 and Mac -> Oppo, but switch input on the oppo. Now I san switch between the Sony and Oppo DACs and listen through the LC. I took the regen out of the equation. The DAC in the Oppo isn't considered stellar. The Sony is a little smoother, but the Oppo is also considered bright or edgy. I think the Oppo hits a little harder in the bass, but not sure  

Final thoughts. As a pre-amp/speaker amp, the Sony will certainly meet my needs. At well under $200 (used :), it's a fantastic deal. As a DAC, it's almost as good as the $1200 oppo (to me, at least). As a headphone amp, it's good, but not great. I suppose I'll need to wait until the Mimby gets reviewed (this is the new Modi Multibit) and hopefully get to try it at a meet.

For now, I'm happy with the UDA-1 and I would recommend it to anyone for under $300. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #49 of 60
Yeah...good sounding AMP/DAC for the money...got mine for $200 new when they were being sold by Woot. Up until the release of the Modi MB, I would have picked up another one for downstairs if I could find it for the same price. But now I think I'll be buying the Modi MB and Magni 2 Uber instead.

Granted it'll cost more, but I really like the Bimby and am hoping the Moby sounds close to it.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #50 of 60
Follow up.

I broke down and got a Mimby. I set it up to test just the DAC section of the UDA-1 against the Mimby.

iMac
--> Optical splitter
---->Mimby --> A/B switch box
---->UDA-1 --> A/B switch box
--> Crack Amp --> HD800 (SDR mod)

I can now just switch the A/B box and hear the different DACs. Everything is fully warmed up.

Here's my verdict after listening to rock, classical, and jazz. I cannot distinguish between the Mimby and the UDA-1 for most songs.
For female vocalist, like Diana Krall, her voice might be slightly smoother with the Mimby, or a tad harsher/grainier with the UDA-1, but I'm talking a tiny tiny bit difference, and I might be imagining it.

Conclusion. The DAC on the UDA-1 is quite good. You might have to go up to a $1000 DAC to get better.

I have a Jodie and a Pro iCan scheduled for evaluation, so I can try the same tests with some better SS amps.  

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #51 of 60
Thanks for the update! I was actually considering a minby or bunny to run my jotunheim through. Right now I'm actually running my jotunheim through the DAC section of my uda1 and have to say it sounds pretty dang good. It offers a warmer and fuller sound than the on board 4490. Now that's not to say that the Jotunheims onboard is junk, because it is quite good for the price. The Sony UDA1 is probably the best purchase I've made since I've gotten into head-if (for the price I paid).

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #52 of 60
Well, I have to restrict what I said.I listened to some Big Band music, and wow. Significant difference for some songs. The UDA-1 was all muddy in the upper mid and lower treble. The Mimby wasn't. Especially notable when many instruments are playing at once, or the time of the horns. Much better with the Mimby. The Mimby is just clearer.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #53 of 60
  Well, I have to restrict what I said.I listened to some Big Band music, and wow. Significant difference for some songs. The UDA-1 was all muddy in the upper mid and lower treble. The Mimby wasn't. Especially notable when many instruments are playing at once, or the time of the horns. Much better with the Mimby. The Mimby is just clearer.

Are you using USB, Optical, or Coax on the DACs? I find the UDA-1 a bit muddy and with a layer of hash in the sound with the USB, so I only use optical, big difference to my ears in terms of clarity. I am planning on getting a Bimby, possibly Gumby sometime as an upgrade though.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #54 of 60

Are you using USB, Optical, or Coax on the DACs? I find the UDA-1 a bit muddy and with a layer of hash in the sound with the USB, so I only use optical, big difference to my ears in terms of clarity. I am planning on getting a Bimby, possibly Gumby sometime as an upgrade though.

Optical. See my posts above for my a/b set up.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #55 of 60
Hmmm well I might need to get a Mimby in the future. I've been on the fence for the last couple months, maybe I just need to bite the bullet when one shows up in the classifieds. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #56 of 60

Optical. See my posts above for my a/b set up.

Ah okay my bad, not surprised the Mimby sounds better though. Comparing a R2R vs a Delta Sigma will often yield results like that. The UDA-1 is a good Delta Sigma DAC for it's price but honestly it's no multibit dac. Only problem with me on the Mimby I can't use my aftermarket power cables with it which I found to really help bring my UDA-1 to life, especially in terms of bass and dynamics.

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #57 of 60
Well this is interesting. I got a loaner Utopia and A/B tested it with a Modi Multibit and a Jotunheim vs. the UDA-1. Mac fed to the Mimby, then RCA splitters out to the Sony and the Jotunheim. 

With the HD800 and PMx2 the differences between the amps were minimal. With the Utopia, the Sony really really sounded like **** (the bad kind). Bass was all bloated and sloppy. The bass on the Jodie was tight.

I tried and iCan and a Magni to see if it might be the cable, but they sounded fine. 

I guess there is something to pairing equipment. 

May 7, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #58 of 60
Hi there,

I am looking at the big names (samsung and sony basically) and wonder if they build amplification nice enough to drive a planar LCD2.2F. I need alternative to the "technical" approach of the headphoners niche and get back to a more easy sound. Basically, the same sound that I would get from a samsung galaxy player but with more resolution and power. Any idea?

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #59 of 60
Hi there,

I am looking at the big names (samsung and sony basically) and wonder if they build amplification nice enough to drive a planar LCD2.2F. I need alternative to the "technical" approach of the headphoners niche and get back to a more easy sound. Basically, the same sound that I would get from a samsung galaxy player but with more resolution and power. Any idea?

I suggest you post Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum, not in this thread for a discontinued integrated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back