Looking at the Denon ah-d1001 need advice
Aug 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello this is my first post here so any help would be great.  I currently use Sennheiser hd280 pro headphones and like them a lot.  I have had them for a while now and they are getting worn out (earpad is strarting to come off etc...).  I am trying to find a great replacement for them (if not getting the same ones). 

I am really looking at the Denon ah-d1001.  I have read several reviews and they seem to be well liked.  I need to have a closed set that isolates alot of noise (in and out).  I listen to them alot before sleeping and the wife is right next to me so I need to block as much sound as possible.  I realize that Grado are rated very high but they just dont isolate. 

Will I be happy with the Denon's?  Is it a step up, down or equal to my Sennheiser?  Are there any other brands I should look at?

I listen primarily through an ipod so some higher end headphones wont be pushed enough.  And a side question are the amps for ipods?

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
I have not heard the Senns that you have but I have owned the Denons. They are good headphones that do stop most sound from getting out but do not isolate noise coming in all that well. They're good and they have some DIY mods to change the sound. Ontop of that they will be driven fine with just an iPod. You can't go wrong with them.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Hello loonacy,
The 1001 does NOT isolate very well.
As in it leaks in sound like it was a pair of open back cans.  It has a single(?) hole in each driver housing designed to tune its sound.  Unfortunately it allows external noises into the chamber.  But those holes and those fiber drivers of theirs, make it sound fantastic with outstanding mids and highs with punchy bass and a very very nice low bass growl on most songs.  The excellent headband design alongside the super comfy ear pads adds to the listening pleasure.  You can listen in comfort without headband vise grip pressure on the head.

So if you’re super concerned about isolation, you’re not going to enjoy it.  But if you don’t mind loosing isolation for absolutely grin inducing sound…

BTW I have both cans and I use the 280pro when isolation and monitoring is needed, but most times I will use the 1001 over it just because it sounds better for listening to music.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 4
What about the Audio Technica M50's? They come in at a cheaper price than the D1001, and I'm sure they sound better. They also have the isolation / minimized sound leakage, you said you needed. Coming from the HD280, I think you would find yourself very much at home using the M50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back