Looking at the Corda Aria
Apr 29, 2006 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I've been looking at the Corda Aria and it looks like something I may be interested in. Currently, I'm running CDP->Musical Fidelity X-DAC->Dynalo->re-cabled DT880s.
Now, the setup sounds good but I find it a bit too polite and lacking in low-end punch at times. I plan on keeping the DT880s for now, but maybe adding k701, SA5K or RS-1/MS-Pro in the future. I am mainly looking for the Aria for it's amplification qualities but the USB DAC is a bonus since I will be using a PC as a source starting in the fall. Has anyone who's owned a Dynalo(or Gilmore Lite) comment on whether this amp sounds fuller than the Gilmore?

As well, my MF DAC is good, but not great. I was thinking about selling that and then using the Aria DAC until I get something high-end. Can anyone comment on the MF DAC vs the Aria DAC?

Thanks,
JMJ

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 7
I might be the only person on this board that has had the Aria for a long time and believe its OKAY and especially weak in the bass department due to the consumer grade DAC chip in it (that would be my guess). I mean its good for its price point.

I used it with SA5K, Qualia's, and HF-1's. The one smiliar feature of the amp with all three of those cans was it was weak in the bass department (low-end grunt from all of these cans was just aweful).

Now as a stand alone amp, its actually quite decent. I used it with my Apogee with some success, espeically the Grado's....but I really don't like the DAC in it.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 7
The DAC in the Aria has gotten a bit of criticism around here. You might be better off keeping the Musical Fidelity.

If you're looking for more low-end punch, have you thought about switching headphones? Sennheisers hit the low end just fine (for me) with a Dynalo. The HF-1 hits pretty hard, too. Maybe adding a pair of Senns or Grados to your collection would give you what you're looking for. Your equipment is pretty good already.

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the comments,

From a purely technical standpoint my system is great for me. But I find the synergy between the X-DAC, Dynalo and DT-880s a bit lacking. I've read alot of comments about the dt880s pairing very well with the Aria so that was my main reason to consider the change.

As well, the DAC was pretty much just a bonus so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't perform well. But if it does end up working well for me, then I now have a one-box solution for a DAC and amp which is appealing to me.

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 7
i run my aria out of my indigo dj.

so far it's worked great for me, never tried the DAC tho.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 7
I run my Aria out of another DAC. The results are very good with the K701! I think that I'll have a hard time to achieve any significant improvements with this rig without spendning thousands of dollars.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 7
I think when I said I was looking for a fuller sound I chose the wrong words. I find the X-DAC/Dynalo a bit too polite. I think this is partly the X-DAC too, I know on speaker rig the X-DAC does a very good job of taming the very upfront,aggresive sound of the Adire HE 10.1s but with the DT-880s I don't like the effect. Plus, I don't think I'll be bringing my speaker rig to school next year so the X-DAC may not be a good choice anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back