Looking At New Amp for RS-1
Dec 3, 2007 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fateicon

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the RS-1s, GoVibeV5 with the more powerful version of its power supply, and a Pioneer CLD-S201 Laserdisc player as a source.

When I initially tried out all the Grado headphones, I used both this Govibe and the RA-1. For sources, I used some $700 Rotel cd player and some $3000 cd player. The RA-1 was maybe 2% warmer and stronger then the GoVibeV5, so I have no interest in that amp.

I didn't really notice any increased satisfaction when using these high-end sources when compared to my laserdisc player. It wasn't like I went "what the hell happened to the sound" when I got my RS-1s. I listened to the same discs I tested at the store and everything felt the same.

I'm fully-satisfied with this setup when my source disc is good. I've ditched all my 00s compressed music. All of that sounds like crap with the RS-1s. Stuff from 98 and even 99 is still very listenable.

I often wish I could adjust the bass on this amp, but when I go back and add a very slight touch of bass to the wav files of albums I thought needed more bass, it sounds out of whack. I think I only did that with two of the earlier Iron Maiden albums, original EMI/Capitol pressings, of Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time.

What I'm interested in is an amp that will provide a warmer sound overall. Most stuff sounds phenomenal with this setup, especially albums like Appetite for Destruction, all the RCA Bowie cds from 81, Final Countdown, Little Earthquakes, Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire, and even Megadeth-Killing is my Business 1990 pressing.

There's just some albums here and there that sound like they really need some warmth. Lots of early and mid-80s Metal in their original editions.

So, I'm looking for an amp that is going to give me a noticeably warmer sound that isn't gonna cost much more then this Govibe. I'm not willing to pay $2000 for a tube amp or whatever at this juncture.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 18
A lot of Metal/Rock records are just bad and nothing you can do about it. If you want some warmer sound try tube amp with them
Which one is depends on your budget, so tell us...

But to start I would say SinglePower PPX3

Quote:

Originally Posted by fateicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the RS-1s, GoVibeV5 with the more powerful version of its power supply, and a Pioneer CLD-S201 Laserdisc player as a source.

When I initially tried out all the Grado headphones, I used both this Govibe and the RA-1. For sources, I used some $700 Rotel cd player and some $3000 cd player. The RA-1 was maybe 2% warmer and stronger then the GoVibeV5, so I have no interest in that amp.

I didn't really notice any increased satisfaction when using these high-end sources when compared to my laserdisc player. It wasn't like I went "what the hell happened to the sound" when I got my RS-1s. I listened to the same discs I tested at the store and everything felt the same.

I'm fully-satisfied with this setup when my source disc is good. I've ditched all my 00s compressed music. All of that sounds like crap with the RS-1s. Stuff from 98 and even 99 is still very listenable.

I often wish I could adjust the bass on this amp, but when I go back and add a very slight touch of bass to the wav files of albums I thought needed more bass, it sounds out of whack. I think I only did that with two of the earlier Iron Maiden albums, original EMI/Capitol pressings, of Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time.

What I'm interested in is an amp that will provide a warmer sound overall. Most stuff sounds phenomenal with this setup, especially albums like Appetite for Destruction, all the RCA Bowie cds from 81, Final Countdown, Little Earthquakes, Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire, and even Megadeth-Killing is my Business 1990 pressing.

There's just some albums here and there that sound like they really need some warmth. Lots of early and mid-80s Metal in their original editions.

So, I'm looking for an amp that is going to give me a noticeably warmer sound that isn't gonna cost much more then this Govibe. I'm not willing to pay $2000 for a tube amp or whatever at this juncture.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

[snip]

Well, I am not sure what the GOVIBE-V5 costs, but by all indications, you cannot go wrong with a Yammamoto HA-02 and RS-1's ... , now if I could just get a wee bit more dynamics out of Senn's .... , I'd be in HEAVEN ...
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 18
I'll second the Singlepower PPX3. Excellent amp - it will give you some warmth but without sacrificing detail. You'll get a rounder sound out of the RS-1.

Java, try a Gilmore Lite/Dynalo with you Senns. Go run a few searches for the combination.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Java, try a Gilmore Lite/Dynalo with you Senns. Go run a few searches for the combination.

A Gilmore Lite, no, a Dynalo ... will see ... :)

Thanks,

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 18
IME over the last few years with the RS1 the first place to look if you're experiencing any problems with SQ is your source.
Trying to rectify any deficiencies by playing with amps is only masking the problem.
By source I mean not just the hardware but software as well. As pointed out earlier some music is just poorly recorded or mastered and no matter what you do it's never going to become a silk purse.

However if you wish to get a good amp that mates well with the Grados then I can recommend either the Yamamoto or the Mapletree. The latter has one advantage over the Yammy in that the large array of 12AX7/5751 etc tubes means you can tailor a sound to suit your tastes.

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 18
These amps all sound great, they're just way out of my price range. I'm really satisfied with the setup I have now on probably 85% of the cds I listened to. I'd just like an amp that could add a bit of warmth as to help mask recordings that seem to lack bass(and give a fuller sound overall). I figure there's gotta be an amp under $150 that's similar to the Govibe V5 and also warmer. I've never heard any other amp except the RA-1, as noted above.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 18
If bass is all you care for, bass is what you will get...Look for a PPA or M^3 on the for sale forums, make sure either one has a STEPS Power Supply and a variable bass boost. This will give you what you need, and at a reasonable price($300-$400).

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 18
Z-Audio - Lambda A killer little amp thats ugly but sounds great ! I've had mine a long time now and absolutely will not ever sell it.If you order one I would advise you to have it set up for ac power as batteries are a pita to change out.It's worth every penny.Warm sound with good dynamics.

By the way,I use it with Grado sr-225's + Allessandro ms2i specifically so i'm sure it will have great synergy with your rs1's.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

These amps all sound great, they're just way out of my price range. I'm really satisfied with the setup I have now on probably 85% of the cds I listened to. I'd just like an amp that could add a bit of warmth as to help mask recordings that seem to lack bass(and give a fuller sound overall). I figure there's gotta be an amp under $150 that's similar to the Govibe V5 and also warmer. I've never heard any other amp except the RA-1, as noted above.

Three amps to thing about would be:

- MiniBoxx-E
- Mini^3
- iBasso P2

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 18
for a good long while, anytime someone was looking for an amp for an RS1, the first recommendation would almost always be a MAD Ear+ Purist tube amp, followed by multiple yays and best synergy ever comments.

i guess those aren't the FOTM anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back