looking at buying Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Jul 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 43
thanks guys i just ordered them about 5 minutes ago. any ideas on burning them in or is that just a bunch of bs... i have heard pink noise and such work well??? i dunno waht do you guys think?

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 43
The best way to break those (or any headphones) in is simply to listen to music on them. Eventually, the sound will either improve or it won't. Either way, you will be enjoying them in the meantime!

I love my M40s so much that I now use them exclusively and am selling my AD900s. If the M50s are even slightly better, that would be an amzing accomplishment. I have ordered a pair just to find out. If they are better (or even sound the same but more comfortable or better built), then they will be the last pair of phones that I buy. Otherwise, the M40s will be.
I have compared the M40s to many, many other headphones (a lot of them far more expensive), and they are clearly better in every case.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 43
No need to use Pink noise, just put your favorite tunes with it, enjoy the music, if you are going to eat lunch, leave it playing (any album you want), get back, keep listening, etc. Don't need to keep them playing all night long, just if during the day you are going to keep listening to them, you can keep making them "work".

Actually as a dynamic driver has moving parts with use those parts may expand or change a bit from the original form when new, however the most important part of all is that you with your ears get used to the sound.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 43
Congrats on the buy, you won't be disappointed with the them. I have owned these headphones for a few months and these headphones have excellent mids and lows very detailed and upfront. I found for my taste these headphones are a great pair to watch movies with.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #21 of 43
I second the part of watching movies with. Watched Watchem with them yesterday and it sounded very good.

The Fostex T50RP are very similar to this ones. Still need to listen them more side by side, but so far I can say they are both pretty nice HPs, at an excellent price point

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #23 of 43
The m-50 is the best sounding low priced hp I've ever heard. They work great unamped and you will not regret buying them. Give them about 50-70 hrs of burn-in and they turn even better. I used pink noise to burn them in but you can use whatever music you choose to hear. But they are way better after around 70 hrs.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The m-50 is the best sounding low priced hp I've ever heard.

What were the others? That might be helpful to know for someone who is on the fence...like myself.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 43
These are great bang for the buck. Quite nice sounding on all kinds of music and while they benefit from being amped, they do not need it to do their thing. Build quality is solid and isolation is very good (both inbound & outbound). I went with the straight cable version. Fit is snug, so maybe a problem if your head is shaped like a giant light bulb.

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were the others? That might be helpful to know for someone who is on the fence...like myself.
biggrin.gif

The three I can think of off the top of my head that are below a $100 is the M50, SR60 or 80 and the D1001.
The M50 and the D1001 are both closed back, I have never heard the D1001 but the M50 is a sturdy pair of headphones.
If you are looking for pretty good isolation and good mids and lows these are the headphones for you. The mids and lows a very forward and accurate but are not over baring that they drown out the highs. The M50 do need a little time to open up for me it was about 4 hours into it and it does put some pressure on the head after long usage some people say use a box to tissue to stretch it out but I for it work best stretching it across my computer case which is 8inches long.
The SR60 and 80 are open and they are very similar they both have very good extension on the highs could be a little over baring for some people taste but they sound awesome to me. The do leak a lot sound and do let in a lot of noise. I really enjoy them is a quiet room but in the noisy environment I would go with the M50 or D1001. The main different they I can tell with when I was comparing them at the store paired with a Grado RA1 was that the SR80 had tighter bass and more accurate while the SR60 sound a little muddy.

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #28 of 43
hvu: you say good mids and lows, but what about the treble? How do the mids and highs compare to your k701? I have a 240DF which I think is somewhat similar to the k701...great detailed mids and extended treble... so a comparison would help me decide. I'm looking for a neutral/accurate hp that can be used with an iPod or sansa clip. Thanks

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 43
I was wish I could give you more or a side by side comparison of the two headphones but as of right now my sister has my M50 on vacation with her so a lot of this comparison is based off of my memory of the M50.

When comparing the two M50 and K701 are in my opinion are like opposite of each other.

The K701 are very spaces headphones with a very wide sound stage and great detail in the mid and treble. The treble in my opinion have very good extension but do seems a little rolled off in my opinion. The mids in my opinion are top notice and helps make up the lack of bass. The bass on the K701 is definite lacking especially for my taste, when listening to songs with weak bass it is not as pronounced and song not even noticed at times.

The M50 on the hand has a very narrow sound stage and you can hear every little detail very easily which can be good and bad depending on the person. The lows and mids like very upfront like I said earlier and the treble is there but not as pronounced at the bass and mids. It kind of hard to expand the best example I can think of is when I am watching episodes of burn notice they vocals come in nice and clear as if the actor is standing right next to you and talking right at you but with the mids and lows so pronounced you hear every other detail along with it such as bird chirping in the background as if they are in the same room as the actor rather than outside.
Musial wise the vocals are nice and clear but can slightly overpowered at time when listening to R&B. The treble on the M50 don't have the same extension as the K701.

I hope this helps as this is my first comparison write up of two headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back