Looking at Beyer DT770 and Alessandro MS-1??
Mar 30, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 41
I've ended my long headphone journey with the DT770, at least for the moment, and tend to believe that folks who call them "terribly inaccurate" and so on are simply wrong.

Why is this place slowly degrading into a sinkhole where mere opinions are expressed as truths?

The best guess I have is that the people who express beliefs as truths rather than as the simple preferential consumer choices that they are is because they are terribly unsure of themselves and their own headphone impressions.

In other words, they're heavily defended against the possiblity that others are experiencing great pleasure at the hands of the DT770.
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #33 of 41
I did not notice the boomy bass right off the bat. I wish i could go back to the store and try them again and compare them to the AKG 271 pro which i should have done in the first place. But i would feel like a jerk concidering i made teh guy open one off the shelf and let me have a listen to the DT770s and the 280s

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt770qy4.png
280proud7.png

Either ignorance is bliss or you're deceiving yourself. Neither of those phones are capable of reproducing music anywhere close to accurately.

While I would agree that neither phone is great I would disagree with you making opinions being based on those graphs. If we made our opinions based on graphs some of the best headphones ever made wouldn't make the top 10 list and some of the worst headphones would be at the top. here are some examples

here are some great headphones

graphCompare.php

graphCompare.php

Now fore some good but not so great headphones

graphCompare.php

graphCompare.php

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I would agree that neither phone is great I would disagree with you making opinions being based on those graphs. If we made our opinions based on graphs some of the best headphones ever made wouldn't make the top 10 list and some of the worst headphones would be at the top.

This

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #41 of 41
The problem of the HeadRoom graphs has been discussed many times, over many years, on Head-Fi. Do a search and read the discussions.

The consensus seems to be that while the graphs are useful tools, they don't tell you the most important story, which is, How do the headphones actually sound?

Just one example would be the HD650. The graph at HeadRoom shows how wonderfully flat and blip-free the HD650 - and, to only a slightly lesser extent, the HD600 - is, but it can give no indication, whatsoever, that the HD650 is an admittedly darkish-sounding can, and the HD600 is much more neutral. The graphs also can't do justice to the 650's liquid smoothness or the 600's oftentimes grainy top end.

The HD595 graph also, for instance, can't show the graininess that the 595 can show under certain circumstances.

The point, re: the DT770 is that you not only have to look at HeadRoom's 770 graph, but that you must also look at Tyll's plain-English, text description of the DT770.

He likes it. He recommends it. It sounds good. It doesn't have excessive bass, it has strong, character-ful bass. And so on.

Use all the tools. Search functions, graphs, English text descriptions, and ears. Relying on one is hopeless, especially in a jungle like Head-Fi - an expensive jungle, to be sure! Without all the tools, you'll be missing out on some important pleasureable experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back