Looking at Beyer DT770 and Alessandro MS-1??
Mar 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

porfryrieggwo

Head-Fier
SO im comparing the Beyerdynamic DT770 ($149) and MS-1s ($99).

I know they are totally different breeds. I've done a lot of research on then but still cannot decide which would be the best choice!

I need a pair for home computer use. Movies and Music (Everything...).

I listened to the DT770s at my local Musicians store and found them very comfortable and sound nice. I have not tried but see the MS-1s have great reviews raving.

I like the idea of open phones because i can hear if someone opens my door room, I like the idea of close phone being that i can block out my loud computer fan when sleep with them.

Right now I have these crappy Sony V150s and they sound horrible and hurt my ears.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 41
I'd go with the MS-1 and spend the extra $50 replacing the noisy computer fans with quieter ones.

On a more serious note, I actually did replace all of the fans in my computer just to be able to use open headphones in peace and quiet.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 41
I own the Grado SR225 and have owned two pairs of DT770/80 Pros. It's hard to compare Grado/Alessandro headphones to the beyers, because the approach to the design and construction is just so different. To look at them and hold them, the beyers certainly seem more like a pair of "real" headphones, but I'd rather have the Grados if I could only keep one of the two. This might partially explain why I still have the Grados and have sold the beyers two times
wink.gif

If you had stated that you could only use closed headphones, then I would have perhaps recommended a different pair than the beyers. They can behave nicely for the most part, but eventually the bass tends to become bothersome--it just takes a matter of time.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 41
The problem with the DT770's is that they're terribly inaccurate below 200hz. I'm talking +9db off the mark. They're still +6db up at 20hz. Not to mention that they don't have the tightest bass, I'd say they're the very definition of boomy, excessively bassy phones.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 41
i love both of them, but they are two quite different cans.
the beyers are more comfortable, and with a lot of bass, but they are not portable.
the ms1 is great if you dont want all the bass from the dt770, plus they are open and portable.
if i were to choose one of them i would probably end up with the dt770pro, because they are so involving and make all my music sound great. pluss they will probably last forever.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 41
Man, they don't seem too bassy for me, I love it and I can't say enough good things about the DT770's. Buy them and see if they have a return policy...plus, you've already stated you tried them on and like them.....that's better than alot of people can say about buying headphones. I didn't get to try mine on or hear them at all before I bought them.

They are "real" headphones alright.....built to last in my opinion.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 41
dt770we1.png

Don't be surprised when your music sounds wildly different from what you've heard for years and not in a good way. The DT770 will HEAVILY color the audio. High fidelity they are not.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 41
I own the SR-80's and owned the DT770's. While the DT770's were fun to use while watching movies IMO that was about all they were good at. The bass was overpowering the mids recessed and the highs grainy. The SR-80's (very similar to the MS1's) is a great sounding headphone for music, although they are not great for movies or games. You might want to consider a completely different can such as the HD595 which happens to be a great all around headphone.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 41
Yeah i cannot read those charts yet either. SO there are other options I must explore than?

I want to replace Bose Around the Ear Triports ($150)
I want to spend 150 or less.

MS-1s might be the way to go, but like the sr80s, they arent good for movies? I do watch movies from time to time. I guess i could always use my speakers?

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 41
I just want headphones to please my all around musical taste.

This is the most frustrating hobby I have ever decided to get into lol.

I honestly liked the Bose, but I knew there was something better out there $/quality wise. Still can't find it.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by porfryrieggwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want headphones to please my all around musical taste.

This is the most frustrating hobby I have ever decided to get into lol.

I honestly liked the Bose, but I knew there was something better out there $/quality wise. Still can't find it.

What are your musical tastes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back