Looking at a VPI Scout
Feb 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

newguru

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at getting possibly a VPI Scout for a turntable.

I was essentially given around 3,000 LP's from my brother in law and want to get around to using them and want to make a smart purchase on a decent....though.....not bank busting turntable.

It would have to include everything I need: i.e the turntable, arm, cartridge, etc.

Are there any other models new or used in the same price ballpark I should be considering or looking at instead of the Scout?

This would be for rock, jazz, blues listening.

Thanks in advance

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I haven't listened to a VPI deck, so I can't compare. I have been very happy with a Rega Planar 3, and a Michell Gyrodec that I upgraded to an Orbe. If you check Audiogon, there's a Gyrodec going for $1,000 or so, which is a complete steal. That's what I'd pick up if I needed another turntable.

Don't be afraid to buy the arm separately. Installation is putting the mounting part through a hole on the deck then putting a nut on the end to tighten it down. If you've ever put a nut on a bolt, it's pretty much the same thing.

I'd highly recommend looking at decks that accept a standard Rega arm. You'll find that many of them will, and a good RB300 will last you for many years.

Setting up a cartridge is another matter. Hellish the first time you try and then it becomes more of a pain in the arse. If you use a Rega arm, you can buy a Rega cartridge that needs no setup, it just aligns to the arm. I've opted for the more painful route, but have gotten god results after some time cursing and walking away for a few hours.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 10
I've heard most of the competition, and to me there wasn't much comparison. VPI just seemed to nail it with the Scout. If I were to upgrade and spend more which may never happen, I would look at other brands even though the Aries is strong. But at the Scout level, I couldn't find anything else that could perform as well across the board.

I use the JMW9 tonearm. I paired mine with Dynavector.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Here's another vote for the Scout. I demoed a bunch of tables, and was the happiest with the Scout.

Just because your original post was a bit unclear, the Scout doesn't include a cartridge (typically). With the Scout, you also need to buy interconnects. Unlike many other tables, the interconnects and ground wire are not integrated into the table - there is an interface box instead (which can be swapped out for a balanced version if desired).

If you look around, you might find a good deal as well. ElusiveDisc had them on sale for $1439 a couple of weeks ago. At that price, it's hard to beat...

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 10
TimJo, helpful post on your part. Can you outline typical expenses for all needed items to get it going if I bought a Scout?

Interconnect(s) cost? ground wire costs? cartridge costs? interface box cost? Assuming I want good, yet not the best in these parts.

Thanks

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, the cartridge is going to be your biggest expense. For that you will need to shop around, and see what you like in terms of sound, and decide how much you want to spend. The folks at VPI really like the Dynavector 10x5 (about $400) and you can actually get that one factory installed. (Well, you used to be able anyway - I'm not sure if that is still the case actually.) I run a Benz cart, which cost about the same as the Scout, but the Benz Ace line is less expensive. If you can afford it, I've heard great things about the Lyra Dorian, but they run about a grand.

The Scout comes with the SE interface installed, and if you go with the VPI interconnect and ground, that runs $200. There are other options out there, but I went the VPI because they use the same wire as in the arm, which makes sense to me.

When I was googling around, I noticed this, if you don't mind a 'B stock' version - $1500. AudiogoN ForSale: VPI Scout B Stock

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TimJo, helpful post on your part. Can you outline typical expenses for all needed items to get it going if I bought a Scout?

Interconnect(s) cost? ground wire costs? cartridge costs? interface box cost? Assuming I want good, yet not the best in these parts.

Thanks

Agree with TimJo. My cartridge is the dynavector 17d3. It’s about $1000. I wouldn’t use anything higher than that on the Scout as the higher end cartridges need a higher end table to really make them shine (read very expensive for minor improvements at this point), but the 10X5 is a very good cartridge for the money. Had I not crushed my needle on the 20X, I would not have upgraded. Of course I’m on my second 17D because there’s I'd have to spend over $3K to better it for my tastes.

I also bought interconnects that listed for something like $800+ for .5 meter, Discovery Essence. I paid much less used, but they are the same wire that is used in the tone arm. I would recommend just getting a good bang for your buck IC instead.

Think budget, then upgrade later if need be. Ideally, you may feel no need to and that’s where I’m at. There is always better, but sometimes better doesn’t = more enjoyment. No use breaking the bank all up front. The budget stuff really gives you bang for your buck.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Good points Rob. Its like the amp I'm running....Singlepower PPX SLAM with a few upgrades. There ARE better amps out there, but you are getting into big expense for small returns at this point. I don't necessarily need the best, but I want good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back