Looking at a New Mac
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
My Dell Optiplex Desktop and 17 inch CRT are starting to look pretty archaic as far as computers go. Lately, I've been noticing a pattern of needed mobility: I want a device I can bring pretty much anywhere and that still remains fast enough for my needs. Clearly, my 5 year old Dell computer isn't exactly fitting the bill here.

In fact, I'm looking for something a bit more radical and functional; and the new Macbooks have me contemplating a leap away from Windows OS. I have just one general question concerning value however: would I see a bigger performance gain from a faster processor or more RAM? I can either by the base Macbook with 4GB of RAM, or the upgraded, 2.4 GHZ Macbook with 2GB of RAM; but not both upgrades. If it helps, I'm a big photography guy and run some graphics intensive programs like Photoshop, Aftereffects, and Capture NX2, but otherwise limit my computing to iTunes and internet browsing.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 38
I bought the 2.4 with 2gb. My thinking was that ram is easily upgraded, the processor isn't. I have a 32 gb partition running Vista Ultimate for work. So far, I love the MacBook.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 38
Ram will give you a much larger improvement especially in the adobe lineup.

Those new macs are sexy, if it helps my brother got a 17 and I really like it, but if it were me for portable use I would get one of the 15s. Just a bit of personal input.

Dave

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 38
Go for the 2.4 13.3"
No need to go pro unless you play video games / really need the screen size. Of course, you're forfeiting portability as well.

I just picked up the 2.4 13.3" and it runs everything I through at it great. (No, I have not tried a fps / any other game that relies on good fps)

Go for the 2.4 now... ram is easy to upgrade later when you have the budget to do so. Plus, the keyboard is so darn sexy.

P.S. Photoshop runs like a champ... working on large tiffs and raws

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 38
You'll find it cheaper to upgrade the RAM yourself. It's easy and doesn't void your warranty. Apple provides instructions. The 2.5" 9.5mm high SATA hard drive is user upgradable too.

OWC, a highly recommended Mac accessory retailer has the 4Gb for $135 at the moment. You need DDR3 SODIMM RAM which is different to the older DDR2 RAM. If you wait a few months, the DDR3 RAM should become cheaper. To give you an idea, 4GB of of the currently more used DDR2 RAM currently costs $70 from OWC. You really can use any RAM as long as it is within specs- it does not need to be Apple specific RAM.

Hard to say if it is worth $300 (assuming you live in the US) to upgrade to a 2.4Ghz processor from a 2Ghz. It is a little extortionate in my opinion for Apple to be charging so much for what was default on the previous Superdrive based Macbook.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 38
Put your money into CPU speed over RAM amount. Cause the RAM are user replaceable, if you want more at a later stage, in comparison to the CPU.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 38
I can't find it on the specs, but make sure the base macbook has superdrive instead of combo drive, combo drive only able to burn cd. Otherwise, I prefer more RAM, I got 2.2 macbook w/ 1gb ram previously, I upgraded to 2gb ram then to 4gb ram. If you ran fusion or parallels, you need 4 gb ram. My capture nx is noticeably faster too with 4 gb ram.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 38
sorry, I only skimmed so this might have been mentioned but if you do decide to get the standard RAM and upgrade yourself later make sure to request that it all be in one slot or you will need to replace both pieces.

I have the last gen MBP, the bottom one. Same stats as the new one. I play WoW on it at top graphic settings while doing other things and I never experience any slow down. I also do some heavy photoshop work and am the type to leave 6 copies of safari open with 6-7 tabs in each one. If you plan on getting the standard MB instead of the pro keep in mind it does not have dedicated video. If you plan to do anything but surf the web and check your email on it, it leaves a lot to be desired as far as graphic power goes.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make sure the base macbook has superdrive instead of combo drive

No problem with that in principle, but the optical drives Apple uses are almost always of low quality (Mat$hita, Pioneer, etc.--all rubbish), and unreliable at even reading discs properly on most of the Macs I've ever used and owned. The cost difference for one of the SuperDrives (when a Combo Drive is standard) is well beyond what it costs for a good portable external DVD multi drive.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan on getting the standard MB instead of the pro keep in mind it does not have dedicated video. If you plan to do anything but surf the web and check your email on it, it leaves a lot to be desired as far as graphic power goes.

It may not have dedicated graphics, but the new MacBook uses the 9400M chipset which is only about 30% slower than the dedicated graphics of the last generation MacBook Pro (the one they sold a month ago). (And the 9400M blows away the previous iteration MacBook Pros that used the dedicated Radeon X1600.) It's fast enough for most people except really hardcore gamers.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 38
If you get into digital photography as well as my friends wife did she
ended up with a MacBook Pro with Aperature and has not looked back.
I noticed on the Nikon dvd's the pros seem to favor them.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 38
I do a bit of photography as well, and have been well served by a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo white MacBook - the MBP is faster, but this is fast enough with 2GB of RAM.

I'm seriously tempted to upgrade to the 2.4GHz model, but will probably wait until there's a price drop or they bump the proc. But these new aluminum models are terrific. I've been playing with them at the Apple Store and they're amazingly nice.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 38
Oh and although DDR3 is a bit pricey now, and apple is not price gouging as they usually do on ram, just wait til next year, it'll (extra RAM) be cheap as chips!

The older, oh-so-slow DDR2 goes for $50 for 2x2GB
biggrin.gif
. Brand name at that.

Oh and the whole trackpad being a button is very nice, I tried out the macbook at the campus shop, the track surface smoother than my 'old' mbp, and also easier to manually press down.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll find it cheaper to upgrade the RAM yourself. It's easy and doesn't void your warranty. Apple provides instructions. The 2.5" 9.5mm high SATA hard drive is user upgradable too.

OWC, a highly recommended Mac accessory retailer has the 4Gb for $135 at the moment.

This is usually the case, but not with the newest MacBook -- at least not until memory prices drop on the DDR3 tech. Apple charges $150 and it's already covered by the shipping of your Mac, whereas purchasing it separately from OWC is $136 plus shipping, about the same total cost.

I'm an OWC fanatic, but in this case, I'd just order the MacBook with 4GB from Apple or wait for the prices to come down at OWC in a few months.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back