Lookin for a nice entery level portable amp
Dec 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MrKitty

New Head-Fier
Hey there Head-Fi'ers,

I am going to get a pair of Shure E2G soon and I was suggested to buy an amp to go along with it

I am new to this High Quality head phones and stuff so I was wondering if there are any "Entery-level" amps

the reason why is that I just don't want to spend alot of money on something that I wont 100% like and 100$ for an amp is like the value of the headphones them-selve

I am going to use my Meizu M6
I heared that the FiiO E5 is nice but is more for a sound boost
any other recomendations? (around 30-40$ when 40=MAX)

Thanx in advance.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 17
The PA2V2 is great little starter amp and Gary provides exceptional service. $60 new but can be had used for $40. Look in the FS forum here on Head-Fi.

This is the PA2V2 website
Welcome To Electric-Avenues.com !

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 17
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with an amp for the Shure 2 out of an M6. The M6 is not a bad player, and I think the small benefit you might get will be well outweighed by the additional hassle.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with an amp for the Shure 2 out of an M6. The M6 is not a bad player, and I think the small benefit you might get will be well outweighed by the additional hassle.

This is good advice. The money spent amping would be better spent on better IEMs.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. I found my Shure e2c's lacking in bass, and amping did not help that at all.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 17
hmm what amp did you use?
I did see alot of diffrence in when I plugged them into the M6 and when I used them with my PC (which has a stand alone sound card)

I just got them tho so ill need to play around with them
Thanx for the advice and suggestions

Mr.Kitty

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Do you want to try building one or just buy one?

The most cost-effective solution to get a good amp would be to build a Cmoy, but that requires some time and skill with a soldering iron. You can buy Cmoy's prebuilt from ebay and such for ~$50, more for improved versions.

Of course, there's always the Fiio E5 ($25), which is a very good value and sounds pretty good for the price range, but it's not going to beat a Cmoy.

I use my E5 with IEMs for daily walking around, and the CmoyBB with my ES7's for other portable listening.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you want to try building one or just buy one?

The most cost-effective solution to get a good amp would be to build a Cmoy, but that requires some time and skill with a soldering iron. You can buy Cmoy's prebuilt from ebay and such for ~$50, more for improved versions.

Of course, there's always the Fiio E5 ($25), which is a very good value and sounds pretty good for the price range, but it's not going to beat a Cmoy.

I use my E5 with IEMs for daily walking around, and the CmoyBB with my ES7's for other portable listening.

Where can I find a tutorial for the Cmoy? I found one at tangentsoft.net, is that the best one out there?

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 17
Tangent's site and the original Chu Moy article:
HeadWize - Project: A Pocket Headphone Amplifier by Chu Moy
are the classic texts on the subject. I'm certainly not going to try to dissuade you from diy (it is fun!) but you should be aware that if you don't already own a decent soldering iron, a drill and some skills, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a nice CMoy from ebay. Your skills are a direct factor in how many extra parts you might have to buy...
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm certainly not going to try to dissuade you from diy (it is fun!) but you should be aware that if you don't already own a decent soldering iron, a drill and some skills, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a nice CMoy from ebay. Your skills are a direct factor in how many extra parts you might have to buy...
wink.gif

Yes, I forgot to mention this - if you don't already have a good soldering setup, it will cost you some money. If you plan on doing this sort of thing in the future it's a good investment, but if it's just for this amp you're better off just buying one pre-made.

TangentSoft is one of the definitive guides, yes.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Hmmm I am quite good with a soldering iron but I dont own one so yeah I guess it'll be a pain to get one

I think ill go for one pre-made is there a trustable eBay user that sell these CMoys? and what are the diffrences btween one and another how can I mean how can I tell which is better?

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 17
Unfortunately, the availability of specific sellers on eBay comes & goes. I've always liked the looks of these:

BioScienceGeek
Juice2214
Zeroaudiocraft (he seems to have disappeared)

I would also email each of them and tell them what 'phones you have and see if they have suggestions for gain and op amps.

FYI - here's a site you might find useful:
tinamps.com: Fansite and forum for CMoy amps

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, the availability of specific sellers on eBay comes & goes. I've always liked the looks of these:

BioScienceGeek
Juice2214
Zeroaudiocraft (he seems to have disappeared)

I would also email each of them and tell them what 'phones you have and see if they have suggestions for gain and op amps.

FYI - here's a site you might find useful:
tinamps.com: Fansite and forum for CMoy amps

Thanx that site gave me a good point of view on the cMoys
the problem is that all the cMoys are so big compared with the E5
and the E5 atleast has a cilp they dont even have that
any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back