look what i found
Jan 10, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pistolsnipe

500+ Head-Fier
walking to work today someone was throwing out an organ, so i looked inside and pulled this out, looks to be an amplifier. not sure if i can save it but def some good parts!

an0nbl.jpg

2tiqs.jpg

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 16
by the looks of the condition of it and how old it is; I wouldnt use anything in it. even though there is probably some great stuff there somewhere, the chances of any of it being in a condition that should be used in a new design is slim. sorry to say. you could turn it into some cool art though. I wonder if any of the tubes are ok??LOL

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 16
You have 9 valves there, a choke, an output transformer and a power transformer (one valve missing).

Of them, the valves might be ok, the transformers will be ok but chances are the power transformer won't be powerful enough to run all the heaters on a stereo amp (that ones mono only) for which you'd need twice the number of valves.

Capacitors dry out and are best replaced. So too the olf carbon resistors. The sockets and of course the chassis itself will be ok.

If you could find a matching second one then you could make a set of monoblocks!

Fran

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... chances are the power transformer won't be powerful enough to run all the heaters on a stereo amp (that ones mono only) for which you'd need twice the number of valves.

except if he builds a headphone amp with dual triodes
wink.gif

Congrats on the find - I love things like this. Mostly for the transformers/ chokes . You can try the tubes but I would ditch the caps and resistors - the power resistprs may still be ok but be sensible in the salvage. No the question ..... any ideas as to what you want to do with all this iron
biggrin.gif
..dB

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 16
From the looks of it, probably from the 1950s. Only the tubes and iron are worth salvaging. They might work for a headphone amp - this was a power amp for a loudspeaker, so the iron might have enough juice to push a pair of cans. The old caps and carbon resistors are best in the recycling, though some guitar amp people might like to have them.

You might want to do some homework to see what this came from. A restorer might want to buy it from you at a fair price. I hate to recommend stripping something someone might need - they'll often give you enough money to buy the parts you'd strip, anyway.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 16
No chance of just restoring the organ to working condition, is there? If it's some classic Hammond model, it might be possible to turn a profit on your efforts. Or, play it for its own value.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 16
yeah no clue what ill do with it just looked interesting, thought id at least look into starting it up and see what it can do. couldnt turn it down for the price.. organ is gone, the gf would kill me if i brought it home to our ny studio hahah. it might end up back on the street eventually, just thought it was cool.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
walking to work today someone was throwing out an organ, so i looked inside and pulled this out, looks to be an amplifier. not sure if i can save it but def some good parts!

Beautiful find. My eye says that the rectifier (bottom right corner near the PT), if it works, is worth its weight in gold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that....looks.....pretty......dam.....old!

Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe that belonged in the trash...

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by the looks of the condition of it and how old it is; I wouldnt use anything in it.

And this is why Head-Fi DIY has gotten so dull. Maybe next time he'll find a presoldered circuit board that he can drill holes in a Hammond case to accommodate.

Uncle Erik;5270333 said:
From the looks of it, probably from the 1950s. Only the tubes and iron are worth salvaging. They might work for a headphone amp - this was a power amp for a loudspeaker, so the iron might have enough juice to push a pair of cans.
The power transformer clearly has more than enough power for headphone amps. The only trouble with the OPT is that you only have one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to do some homework to see what this came from. A restorer might want to buy it from you at a fair price. I hate to recommend stripping something someone might need - they'll often give you enough money to buy the parts you'd strip, anyway.

Probably a good idea, even if it is just to figure out what you have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No chance of just restoring the organ to working condition, is there? If it's some classic Hammond model, it might be possible to turn a profit on your efforts. Or, play it for its own value.

The amp portion is a pretty small part of the organ -- if the amp looks like that, I'd wager the organ is beyond repair. Maybe not, though.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 16
The capacitors should be fine if they are not buldging worst case they explode which is not too bad if you test each of them before using them in a circuit. Bin the resistors and low voltage capacitors as modern smaller better performance ones can be purchased for a few pence.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this is why Head-Fi DIY has gotten so dull. Maybe next time he'll find a presoldered circuit board that he can drill holes in a Hammond case to accommodate.

hey you might want to do a little research before pigeon holing anyone. it wasnt because its so old that I thought it may be too much trouble. it was because of the condition of it. having never bought a pre-soldered board in my life (what would be the fun in that??) that only saves SOME time and SOME money. DIY is not for everyone so I actually think its a great thing that pre-soldered kits that require minimal work exist. it gives people that would normally be scared to start DIY the confidence that they can actually put something together and have it work. I prefer to just dive in, but thats not for everyone. IMO its elitist's like you, that are what can be so dull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back