Look what I found on my way home today.
Jul 15, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Keep in mind guys that I never said that they make good pets or that I was even going to keep it. I just couldn't leave stranded on the sidewalk. I am just trying to do whats right.

yeah, you're a sweet guy
smily_headphones1.gif
here's my number... YGPM
eek.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
actually i think possums are kinda cute.

Yea, kinda cute in the "gonna gnaw your face off" kind of way!
eek.gif
They can get pretty nasty if you piss them off or get them in a corner!

ZX, your doing the right thing bro...just get the little bugger to the Wildlife refuge and let the experts do their job. And do make sure that you wash your hands good and take care that he doesn't take a little nibble out of your finger!
biggrin.gif
Rabies shots get you in the belly mate...the belly button I'm told, and not just one either!!!
eek.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #33 of 53
Man you guys are a tough crowd. I grew up feeding Raccoons bits of bread at 4 years old. Animals are harmless unless provoked or you're an idiot. Unless you're talking about large predators, of which possums aren't. lol! what a thought

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
take care that he doesn't take a little nibble out of your finger!

You kidding? This little guy hasn't even attemped to bite me and is a very friendly animal.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
Those are the meanest creatures on the planet.

it will eat you while you sleep if you keep it.

it's fun for a couple months....but it will get really big and like to eat things. Like cats and small children.

take it to the shelter and hope that they'll take it.

Please do not keep this near small children or cats that can't defend themselves!

BILL

AMEN. This is a filthy, wild rodent you have taken into your midst. Be rid of it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #36 of 53
We had a "pet" opossum at my house for a few days about 6-7 years ago. One had fallen into our pool and almost drowned when my aunt saw it and rushed out to save it. It wasn't a baby like this one, but it still didn't act like the devil animals some people are talking about. We kept it in a cage for a few days untill it regained its strength before releasing it back outside. During its stay it would let you pet it, and I thought it was a fairly cute animal.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #37 of 53
Here's a one sentence condensation of the provided link for the care of oppossum:

If you see an injured oppossum, keep walking.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Man you guys are a tough crowd. I grew up feeding Raccoons bits of bread at 4 years old. Animals are harmless unless provoked or you're an idiot. Unless you're talking about large predators, of which possums aren't. lol! what a thought

ROTFLMFAO...you sure can dish it out cant you
smily_headphones1.gif

I was bitten by a hamster!
mad.gif
Sold him the next day...I prefer Dogs (particularly Lab and Great Dane...one is smart and the other is stupid...I have both
rolleyes.gif
).

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

I guess I must have this vendetta against possom and raccoons ever since my 3rd year at scout camp. They tortured us all session by sleeping under our tent platforms and making all kinds of a mess!

I think what really drew the line in the sand is when one of those little bastards popped off the bungee cord over the top of my cooler and had the nerve to drink one of my god damned soda's!!!
mad.gif
And yes I knew it was him because we saw the little monger (after he figured out the pop top) laying on his back drinking MY cold beverage off of his tummy!!! Now that's just bad business...

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #40 of 53
The 'possums I know of are vile, trash-digging, blind, and rather surly. They make a dreadful mess when they get into a trash can and start eating. Hardly a day goes by that I do not see the results of blind 'possums and bad drivers.

Like most other similarly hideous animals, they are cute juveniles, but lose their charm in a hail of pointy teeth and beady eyes. However, you had to do something.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
aww its cute. dont know if keeping roadents is such a good idea

It's a marsupial, like a Kangaroo. It would have to be feed lots of times during the day and it will be a good idea to keep it inside a pouch or a pocket to keep it warm. I you can get a small baby bottle and some baby formula, it could pretty well survive.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
Those are the meanest creatures on the planet.

it will eat you while you sleep if you keep it.

it's fun for a couple months....but it will get really big and like to eat things. Like cats and small children.

take it to the shelter and hope that they'll take it.

Please do not keep this near small children or cats that can't defend themselves!

BILL

Bill, with al due respect, that's an evageration. In Mexico some people actually keep those animals, called "tlacuache" in local Spanish, as pets. They are not worse than pet rats and they have no reason to be aggresive if you don't act agressive against them.

And by the way, I insist, they are not rodents.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Can possums have rabies?

possums are NOT carriers of rabies, it is a very common misconception that they are...

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #45 of 53
props to you for being a generous human being.

I know a few human beings who are hideous, vicious, and aggressive. Hardly can blame them for their attitude. We mow down their home, plant a giant mall, and get mad at them for eating our trash :/ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back