Longest Lifespan of an IEM You Own?
Feb 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 43
The lifespan of my cheap 40 dollar Sony IEMs was about 4 years (it went through the wash and dry as well).  We'll see if any of my higher end ones will last that long :p  The second longest was about 3 years.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 43
I've had my TF10s for about a year now, I am starting to store them in a hearing aid dehumidifier container in hopes that it will increase the life of them

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 43
My Etymotic ER4S has been with me over 11 years and still going strong. The only thing that I changed was the filters and triple flange tips. Even though I prefer my ciems for my portable listening now, I still enjoy my ety once in a while. Some of the other ety er4s owners weren't so lucky though..

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:
My Etymotic ER4S has been with me over 11 years and still going strong. The only thing that I changed was the filters and triple flange tips. Even though I prefer my ciems for my portable listening now, I still enjoy my ety once in a while. Some of the other ety er4s owners weren't so lucky though..

Whats your secret? You have a quarantine room made just for it?

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 43
My Westone 3's get daily use and have been going strong since November of 2008
etysmile.gif
I don't have any secrets to prolong the life of iems...I just don't wrap them around my phone or mp3 player. I loosely wrap them around my fingers and toss them in the soft zipper pouch that they came with.

As far my other iems/earbuds, my meelectronics m6p and m9p have gotten regular gym use for the past year without any issues. Can't say the same about the Yuin pk3 though. I had two sets of those -- lost one set, and the other set died within 4 months. Replaced the pk3 with a set of sennheiser mx580 and haven't had any issues for year that I've had them.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 43
I've had a few pairs of Sony IEMs (EX51s, EX300s) that are going on ~5yrs (EX51s) with little or no signs of wear.  I'm pretty good with taking care of my stuff so I expect these to pretty much last forever unless the materials breakdown, etc.  For riding my bike (workout), I have a cheap-o set of Coby CVE92 ($5.99 @Amazon) for my Shuffle.  These things get exposed to sweat and occasional bad weather, but show little sign of dying.  The cable is starting to get a little stiff though.

I have to imagine that with the ER-4s, having the replaceable filters and cable they could/ should last nearly forever.  I haven't replaced the filters on mine yet.  The sound on those (mid/high clarity) still blows me away.

When I got my customs, I bought a small Pelican case (#1050) and reusable desiccant pack to store them in.  But I think it's probably overkill.  I think as long as you keep them in open air after using them and don't live in a really humid place, they should last a while.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 43
So far, I've only had 3 IEMs die on me. 
1) Klipsch S4 died only because the cable snagged on my arm while I was running, which pulled it out of my ear, and I stepped on it.
2) The 2nd S4 I got shorted out when I let a friend borrow them and he got them wet. 
3) A pair of Skullcandy Titans popped and quit working after about 9 months (more exercise earphones)

I have about 10 other earphones that I use at work, around home, etc, but I don't see them breaking down any time soon. I don't get how Head-Fiers tend to ruin their earphones so quickly.
Earphones come with a case usually... use it!  

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 43
I had my M6s die after a couple of months too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back