Longboards?
Jul 25, 2006 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know anything about longboards? I buy my shortboards from blankdecks.com, and I'm pretty happy with them, so I was going to buy a blank longboard from them, but they don't have many choices in the way of trucks and bearings and wheels, and I suppose those things would be pretty important for a longboard. I've never had one before so I have no idea what durometer wheels or bearings or anything to get.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 13
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/

more than you ever wanted to know. i've got a loaded bamboo premium vanguard that i really enjoy. i'm not too much of an expert otherwise though. what you want depends on the dimensions of your board and what you want to do with it.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 13
I've got a 46" Sector Nine Hawaiian Backdoor from their Cloud 9 series w/61mm Durometers and Gullwing trucks, unless you have a lot of room to ride these things, or are traveling long distances, you're better off sticking with short boards. I bought one of these to get to paddling practice before I could drive and it was a real pain in the a@$ to navigate through traffic and people with it in the city. If you're just buying it go carving, then longboards are a ton of fun. If it's your transportation, I would give it a second thought.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
What, this isn't a discussion of surfboards? Longboards rule.

Lol, I have yet to find a surfboard that has the option of trucks, wheels, and bearings.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
What, this isn't a discussion of surfboards? Longboards rule.

I was thinking the same thing

Jul 27, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Maybe I just want a nice big board with big fat soft wheels. I just want something that rolls over sidewalk cracks better and is a little more stable than my normal board.

You definitely don't want a longboard then. Yes, it'll absorb cracks in the sidewalk and road imperfections a lot better however, it's a lot less stable than a shortboard. I bought mine the day after the the back right wheel fell off my shortboard, I took it out the next day to go to paddling practice, I nearly ate sh$$
biggrin.gif
. It took me a while to get used to it since the trucks are so much looser than normal, you don't really lift the front to turn but lean into your turns. Because of this though, if you're not paying attention (I.e. you see a hot girl) it's easy for you to lose your balance and navigate yourself off the sidewalk and into oncoming traffic without you even knowing it
biggrin.gif

Have you tried risers on your regular deck? They smooth out the ride a bit, although you can always just swap bigger wheels on to your trucks and they'd do the job even better, assuming you have the clearance. They also sell monter-truck style rubber wheels for the ultimate smooth ride, I believe you need different trucks and risers to get them to fit though.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 13
I longboard frequently, you will want one if you already own a normal skateboard, they are awesomeI own several longboards..the three worth rec'g are as follows:

For aggressive or carv'y rides (also the one you can bounce up/down on like a trampoline while riding, and most difficult to ride as well as most fun)
Fibreflex Arrow head that is still amazing and 4 years old too!! it is a pintail design shown here..with randall trucks (randall make great heavy duty trucks for longboards)
This is one of the best longboards I have ever seen or owned (owned dozens)..and can say firmly, these boards can take the abuse. Mine literally got ran over by an SUV the FIRST day I got it, (in the first hour actually) --I was in SD Ca and purchased it from Soul Grind , which is a very reputable seller of boards..Anywho, the board did not snap or crack, only went all the way down to the ground when ran over..sprung back up like a little kid!!

I too have sec9, similar this one in the middle is closest.
this board type and ride is more like a Caddy' smooth, not as aggessive nor fast...but really fun and MUCH easier to ride, better for beginners or guests whom don't ride at all, very smooth lines, not flexible like the above board.

The third suggestion is the Original Longboard..This board is sick, it is a new concept that few skaters are hip to, and even fewer consumers have gotten to yet...they are made by a new company with new concept of the S-Truck...called Original Skateboards...and this carves like no other board made period..you can skate in tiny circles over and over, literally that great..

These are three choices that are all great, but for diffrent reasons...a Good board will cost you, but is worth it for campus riding, casual downhill bombing, and just straight up cruising..much less pushing,way more carving
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah I'm not just going to put bigger wheels on my little board, because I do still skate with it, and I don't like big wheels on my skateboard; I think it's harder to do stuff like shuvits the taller the board gets. I didn't know the subject of longboards was so complicated though, I guess I'll have to bum a few rides to see what I like.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 13
I love longboarding I have been crusing and skating most of my life. I just recently got into the whole sliding scene of longboarding. I got a original apex 40 for my birthday with s8 trucks, otang stimulus purple wheels and some bone swiss bearings. If anyone lives in the Salt Lake area and wants to go board hit me up. Oh and then we can go listen to all our head-fi gear after
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back