Long story: A headphone rediscovery
Feb 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

barshnik

Head-Fier
Midleaged long-time music listener here, recent serious shoulder surgery and recovery dictates more time with the iPod and less with my favored Harbeth speakers lately and for a bit into the future. Using the Senn PX 100's for audiobooks and ER4-P's for music now (a good bit of HF hearing loss due to a lifetime of hobby shooting and a few years of working on oil rigs 30 years ago helps tame the brightness of the ER4's.)

Was out in the garage and noticed on a shelf something I had not seen in 15 years or so, the Koss ESP9 electrostics I bought right after high school about 38 years ago. Looking for something to do, I got the phones and driver box out and took inventory.

The 'magic fluid' had leaked out of the earcups. Everything looked OK with the box, I had the presence years ago to label the wires from the box so I could hook them to an old amplifier, also off the garage shelf.

Took the now-flat pads off the phones, slit them open from the underside, and filled with soft foam. Electrical tape closed the slits - oops, too much foam packing, so pads back off, removed tape and foam, trim the foam, tape back up, install pads. They felt as comfortable as I had remembered them, which means not very.

Hooked them and the iPod up to the amp, and started listening to Paul Simon 'Graceland'. Sounds very thin, so I inserted the ER4-P's - ah, better, more punch - damn this old tech stuff...

Listened some more, then tried the ESP9's again - oh, wait, now I'm hearing horns as they sound live, and oh, the light bass seems much more correct than than the 4-P's - light, yes, but almost unbelievably accurate as though I'm actually hearing the bass strings themselves vibrate rather than a processed sound resulting from them vibrating.

Ok, lets try the PX 100's (cheap but decent.) Hopelessly muddled upper-bass and mids in comparison with the others, and 'lispy' vocals. Off they come. Try the 4-P's again - ah, great sound. One more time with the ESP-9's, and oh - jeez, I never heard that trumpet valve move right there before - stop the iPod, back to the 4-P's, and I can't hear the trumped valve move!

So, as uncomfortable as they are to have on my head, they are so sonically unfatiguing that I'm listening to them many hours a day now. I've not only rediscovered the phones, but music as well...

Spent time researching what I think might work for me, and just ordered DT880's and a cheap headphone amp (XM4) - I know this might be a 'bright' combo, but remember my less-than-perfect HF hearing.

Through the pain of recovery, I'll have many enjoyable hours listening - and comparing - the 'new' and the 'old'. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading - you too may rediscover a pair of headphones you just bought 40 years from now...

John F

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 13
sounds like fun! i hope you enjoy your DT880s. but if you REALLY like awesome detail like you experienced on your 'stats, you should try out some newer electrostatic headphones. technology's come a long way... Stax is better than ever now!

personally, i'm more of a "fun headphones" guy so i don't really stride for hearing trumpet valves and that "vibrating strings" sensation- but let me tell ya, it's hard to get any more of that microdetail with anything other than electrostats. i haven't heard any newer Stax but i've heard Lambada Pros... the soundstage, seperation, and everything was amazing.

sorry for telling you to spend MORE money. the DT880s are about as much resolution as i can handle, they're freaking beasts for dynamics.. enjoy!

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Good story and a nice read. I wonder just how many old gems are still out there tucked away in garages, shelves and closets just waiting to be rediscovered as yours were. I'd love to find some old cans like that, it must be so much fun.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 13
Maaaan, old piece of head-fi history right there, welcome back to circumaural head-fi =].

And I'll join up with Monk, if you find Koss stats to be great, you should really consider checking out what Stax has came up with over all these years. Its quite a run for a jazz lover.

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate stories like this because now I want a set of ESP 9s to play with. *sigh*

I don't think ESP9's fetch much of a price these days, I'll contact you directly if I like the sound of the 880's, and if you are young enough to keep these going for another 40 years or so...

Oh, I see by your profile you're not way younger than me...

John F
LV, NV

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think ESP9's fetch much of a price these days, I'll contact you directly if I like the sound of the 880's, and if you are young enough to keep these going for another 40 years or so...

Oh, I see by your profile you're not way younger than me...

John F
LV, NV

Yes, another old fart here who loves old 'stats.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 13
Very nice read. At first I thought the Koss A/250's were a bit thin too. Idk if I'd call them natural sounding, or extremely detailed/nuanced, but they are a lot of fun.

Hey! What if we are a bunch o' years younger than you and would like to give 'stats a chance?
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 13
Enjoyable story
smily_headphones1.gif
it is a wonder how many members here suddenly find old headphones in their garage or something then hearing good sound from them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 13
yeah, i don't plan on getting rid of any of my phones, unless i hand them down to one of my friends or loved ones.

edit: nice story. that's gotta be awesome to rediscover something like that
smily_headphones1.gif
like opening a treasure chest.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i don't plan on getting rid of any of my phones, unless i hand them down to one of my friends or loved ones.

edit: nice story. that's gotta be awesome to rediscover something like that
smily_headphones1.gif
like opening a treasure chest.

Yes, very much like a treasure chest - of memories. My highschool buddy and I would stay up all night taking turns listening to Beatles White album and various Miles Davis vinyls through these cans, so as not to wake my folks upstairs. Short neck Miller High Life bottles also entered the equation.

Somehow it seems as though they are 'breaking in' all over again since I've been listening the last few days - more likely my ears are just getting used to what might be a very flat frequency response rather than the normal modern cans' hump from 50hz - 2khz, then a dip to 4k, then various peaks and valleys up to 12-14 k.

Not that there is anything wrong with uneven freq response chart phones, I just borrowed a friends Grado RS-1's and, wow, what fun sound! Got me thinking that something as simple and peaky as the 225's might work for me even without an amp, but hoping for the best from the DT880's (when they get here) and either the XM4 or Headphonia amp.

If I do decide to part with the ESP9's, you can bet I'd rather (almost) give them to a good home to someone here rather than posting them on eBay... Some things mean more than a few dollars.

John F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back