London (UK) meeting.
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #199 of 250
Hi Guys,

Know this thread has been stagnant for a while since the London meet, but if there does happen to be another one in the future for London region i would be interested in attending.

Just throwing my hat in there just in case it does happen in the future and this thread kick starts again, who know's?
wink_face.gif
k701smile.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #201 of 250
I'm all for the idea of an annual UK event.

I didn't make the London one on this thread but was thrilled with the Manchester meet. One place to experience so many products with like minded enthusiasts. I would happily travel to Manchester again for an overnight event - cheaper hotels and mid country for easier national attendance.

I promise not to bring a suitcase full of gear next time though!

Sceptre

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #202 of 250
Yeah I'd be up for another (there was another mini-meet since this one btw) - I hadn't suggested anything as I know another head-fier in London was organising something big, but maybe not anymore since I've heard nothing about it.

My advice is to start a new thread for a new meet. If no one else wants to take it on I don't mind organising again, but don't want to hog
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #203 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice is to start a new thread for a new meet. If no one else wants to take it on I don't mind organising again, but don't want to hog
wink.gif

Be my guest.

If you do start a new thread, please post a link in this thread or PM me.

I do spend more time listening to music than trawling the forum
L3000.gif

Regards

Sceptre

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #204 of 250
I would be most happy to travel up to Manchester again for a national meet (August onwards for me as I'm on holidays for most of June and July). We've held the previous two UK meets at the Days Inn and I would be happy to use it again as it has good meeting room facilities plus a good hotel attached. Overnight stays are quite inexpensive at around £50/night. Only constraint on Days Inn is that you wouldn't really be able to cater for more than about 40 people without lack of power sockets or room.

There were various attempts at finding other locations prior to the last meet but like the long-winded European Meet thread, it went nowhere with a lack of decisiveness, people wanting locations best for them etc. etc.

Manchester is in reasonable striking distance for most people in the UK - my return train journey from London (out in rush hour Friday, back Sunday) only cost about £50 because I booked up in advance.

The other advantage of a central UK location is that you attract a better mix of gear and people than just focussing on London, for example.

My 2c.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #205 of 250
Given the age of this thread, I don't think I can be accused of derailing it :wink:

I enjoyed last year's Manchester meet and thought it worked pretty well with attendees ranging from the South to Scotland. Are there any plans for a repeat this year?

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #207 of 250
Hi guys I am definitely interested in attending some head-fi meet in UK. I am new to the forum and headphone hi-fi and just feel some need to talk to people about headphones, AMPs, DACs etc. While forum is OK it just... it is forum and as many people looking for new gear experienced that people's opinions vary. It would be especially good for such beginner like me to meet with other head-fiers. Just to do not look a bit 'selfish' I could bring with me some headphones, portable player (iriver SPINN) and AMPs though I am not sure what I am gonna have at the time.

Just in case there will be more of us, remember to count me in.:D

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #208 of 250
As an exasperated recent HD600 owner yet to find a satisfactory amp combi or indeed comfirmation that I chose the right cans (yeah OK ebay deaf man's bluff) I would welcome any opportunity to compare gear, chat and gain a little listening experience. I was fortunate enough to be given some generous time by Robyn at Hifiheadphones (thank you), demoing the 600s on various amps, and although this sort of thing is currently out of their normal sphere of operations, I saw the beginnings of a demo area...
But why is it generally so hard to demo cans and amps? When I'm Queen of the World it'll all be different...

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #209 of 250
I'm not so sure that putting a national meet someone central attracts more people. There is more to consider than geographical location, such as what the location has to offer itself.

Perhaps I'm being biased as I'm in London, but if I was going to take the time to travel to a meet, I would want it to be somewhere there was more to do than just go to the meet.

London might be expensive and a bit further for some people, but at least they will feel like they got their money's worth.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #210 of 250
That depends I suppose on how much time is set aside for 'non-hifi' activities. I remember at the 2008 meet there were a small number of us that arrived the night before and we all met up for drinks in the hotel bar. The majority of people arrived on the day and set off home that evening.

I totally agree that if the meet were to be in London then we should definitely factor in some time for a meal out or a visit to a decent bar. You can find that sort of entertainment in any city though, just saying. Personally I have no strong feeling as to the location of the meet - during term time I'm in Durham and during the holidays I'm just North of London.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back