LOL at all the Beats bashers........
Mar 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #241 of 353
Quote:

"i dont have a gf yet so more money for audio"

You gotta move on. Get your gf to buy you audio gear.  In college, I did my GFs term papers and thesis (easy peasy) and she bought me lunch everyday, clothes (couldn't stand how I looked)  and let me use her car and locker.

dammmmmmmm and where do i find girls like that? i thought girls are waiting for us to buy her dinner, clothes, purses, handbags... that is if they dont reject us in the first place
rolleyes.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #242 of 353
Well, wherever you are,

1) pick out a suitable girl: the most attractive one for you, preferably with rich parents and a club membership (you just sign for meals) or whatever it is you think might come in handy -- you have to complement each other after all. 

2) Assuming she's all of the above,  EVERYONE wants to buy her dinner, clothes, purses etc.  --- you can't compete with that, someone will always be better so what you do is OFFER ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but act interested...but not desperate --- that will drive her nuts especially if she knows you ain't gay.  Just hang out with her, a couple of minutes, an hour doesn't matter just don't appear desperate---be 'cool' Don't mind all the other guys she goes out with...you won't be like them.

3) Compliment her constantly on thing other than her looks -- her taste in music, her athletic abilities, whatever.

4) If you do number 2 and 3 long enough, she will soon give you a little 'gift' -- a CD, a pen, a card, a note,  a big mac -- something, you'll know it when you get it. 

5) Keep on doing 2 for a few days then ask her out -- not on a date but something less formal--a soda, coffee, a meal, a walk home.

6) When you do go on this little informal date--talk about things then ask her for a real date. Let her plan it...after that she'll plan everything then just ask for things you need.  Just keep doing 3, do her term papers and stuff--she'll feel obliged to return the favor and you'll get your gear (among other things) on your birthday. :) LOL

By the way, if the girl you picked out is pretty, goes out with a lot of different older guys, wears designer clothing and gets phones, blow and cars as presents--- steer clear, she won't put out for your audio :) unless that's your type of thing in which case, borrow your dad's camera, wear it around your neck all the time and tell her Freeones.com was offering too buy one of your portfolios...:)

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #243 of 353
Quote:
Well, wherever you are,

1) pick out a suitable girl: the most attractive one for you, preferably with rich parents and a club membership (you just sign for meals) or whatever it is you think might come in handy -- you have to complement each other after all. 

2) Assuming she's all of the above,  EVERYONE wants to buy her dinner, clothes, purses etc.  --- you can't compete with that, someone will always be better so what you do is OFFER ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but act interested...but not desperate --- that will drive her nuts especially if she knows you ain't gay.  Just hang out with her, a couple of minutes, an hour doesn't matter just don't appear desperate---be 'cool' Don't mind all the other guys she goes out with...you won't be like them.

3) Compliment her constantly on thing other than her looks -- her taste in music, her athletic abilities, whatever.

4) If you do number 2 and 3 long enough, she will soon give you a little 'gift' -- a CD, a pen, a card, a note,  a big mac -- something, you'll know it when you get it. 

5) Keep on doing 2 for a few days then ask her out -- not on a date but something less formal--a soda, coffee, a meal, a walk home.

6) When you do go on this little informal date--talk about things then ask her for a real date. Let her plan it...after that she'll plan everything then just ask for things you need.  Just keep doing 3, do her term papers and stuff--she'll feel obliged to return the favor and you'll get your gear (among other things) on your birthday. :) LOL

By the way, if the girl you picked out is pretty, goes out with a lot of different older guys, wears designer clothing and gets phones, blow and cars as presents--- steer clear, she won't put out for your audio :) unless that's your type of thing in which case, borrow your dad's camera, wear it around your neck all the time and tell her Freeones.com was offering too buy one of your portfolios...:)

aight thats probably more easier said than done but thanks. my friend who was psych major in college, now a teacher (and i agree) said i can talk to girls that i just want to be friends with fine but girls i like, i always struggle to talk to them. im not sure i can act "cool" lol

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #244 of 353
The thing is that Monster hasn't done anything any other over marketed, hyped, and priced manufacturer has done (which is every single one of them in the audio world, every single one), it's just that the self appointed audiophile elite hate them because they are aimed at the unwashed masses, unlike all the brands from companies they proudly own and pretend never lie, distort facts, promote psuedo science, make insane profits, sound no better than gear that costs a fraction of the price in blind tests, etc. Beats just has the wrong name on them; if it was an acceptable name here in the self appointed audio guru community then there would be endless threads praising them and how no one can believe how they can possibly make them so cheap and of such quality just like all the other threads in this forum with gear that sounds like crap, is disgustingly overpriced, has bs stats and "science", is of crap construction, and insanely over marketed...but has the right name on it so it sounds great, what an achievement for such a "low" price, everyone buy 3 of each!

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #245 of 353
Yes, other audio companies are prone to making unsubstantiated claims about their products, but at the same time, I have never heard any other headphone manufacturer state that their product restores the sound quality that is lost to audio compression. Also, saying that Beats headphones are used in major recording studios is a LIE. The marketing BS used to promote Beats headphones is clearly above and beyond that of other audio manufacturers. Beats depends on marketing to sell their headphones, while other headphone companies spend more on making their headphones sound good and leave it up to us to find out about them. The Internet, especially websites such as this one, has made this process much easier. Also, you don't have to be an elitist audiophile to hate Beats. Not everyone on this website is an audiophile or considers themselves to be one. My ATH-M50 -> E11 -> iPod touch is not exactly an audiophile-grade setup, but it's good enough for me to appreciate the music that I listen to and every note, drum strike, and vocal breath that makes up the music. I don't enjoy music as much when it's coming out of my computer or TV speakers, and I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I had Beats, even the Pro, instead of the M50. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #246 of 353
Quote:
The thing is that Monster hasn't done anything any other over marketed, hyped, and priced manufacturer has done (which is every single one of them in the audio world, every single one), it's just that the self appointed audiophile elite hate them because they are aimed at the unwashed masses, unlike all the brands from companies they proudly own and pretend never lie, distort facts, promote psuedo science, make insane profits, sound no better than gear that costs a fraction of the price in blind tests, etc. Beats just has the wrong name on them; if it was an acceptable name here in the self appointed audio guru community then there would be endless threads praising them and how no one can believe how they can possibly make them so cheap and of such quality just like all the other threads in this forum with gear that sounds like crap, is disgustingly overpriced, has bs stats and "science", is of crap construction, and insanely over marketed...but has the right name on it so it sounds great, what an achievement for such a "low" price, everyone buy 3 of each!

Problem is though, Beats don't sound nearly as good as other headphones in the same price range.

What you say is true about marketing hype and every company using it to make their product sound more polished than it really is. But there needs to be a limit and Beats go well beyond that limit.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #248 of 353
Quote:
Problem is though, Beats don't sound nearly as good as other headphones in the same price range.

What you say is true about marketing hype and every company using it to make their product sound more polished than it really is. But there needs to be a limit and Beats go well beyond that limit.

Yep, I was fairly neutral in my feelings about the Beat HPs until I saw a display in a store and tried them out. I'm used to marketing hype and get that, but these take it to new levels. Beats make Bose seem like a really great deal.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #249 of 353
The thing is that Monster hasn't done anything any other over marketed, hyped, and priced manufacturer has done (which is every single one of them in the audio world, every single one)

It be nice to see that marketing/engineering/legal breakdown for other major audio companies. I bet they aren't as distorted as Beats's. 

Also there are a bunch of much loved audio companies that spend pretty much zero on marketing. For example, STAX doesn't even sell, much less market headphones outside of Japan and they seem quite popular with people that can afford them. Then again, some headphones just seem to hype themselves cough cough M50. 

Also, saying that Beats headphones are used in major recording studios is a LIE.

Despite criticizing Beats for doing this, I will have to say that most of the other companies also engage in this behavior. There are tons of "Pro", "Reference", "Studio", etc headphones being sold by people other than Beats which also aren't used for such purposes. As I understand it most pros mix and master with studio monitors, i.e. loudspeakers, and the most widely used headphones in the industry is probably the MDR-7506/V6, for monitoring (unless another unforgiving, reasonably flat, inexpensive headphone has managed to replace it). Sure they might give stuff a few listens on various headphones during the process, but for the most part they aren't working using InsertFavoriteAudioBrandHere Pro Studio Super Reference 9001 Series headphones. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #250 of 353
Quote:

That's an entirely subjective thing. A lot of people like their sound signature and think that they do sound as good and even better than other headphones in their price range.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #251 of 353
Quote:
That's an entirely subjective thing. A lot of people like their sound signature and think that they do sound as good and better as other headphones in their price range.

I agree. You can't tell me a 2013 Corvette looks better than a 1970 Chevelle SS. What you can say is the Corvette gets to 60mph 3 seconds quicker, gets 8mpg more and brakes from 100mph in 40ft less. No one buying Beats is aiming for a flat frequency response.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #252 of 353
Quote:
That's an entirely subjective thing. A lot of people like their sound signature and think that they do sound as good and even better than other headphones in their price range.

Most people who own a pair of beats think they like their sound signature best, because they won't buy or listen to other headphones in the same price range. But if you go up to a beat owner and let them to try your own headphones, the first thing they'll tell you is that your headphones lack bass. Of course, its not that they lack bass at all, its just the the mid-bass response on the beats is so over emphasized that they won't give their ears and brain a chance to become accustom to a more balanced sound.

If they actually took the time to give their brain a chance to become familiar with a more balanced sound, then the balanced headphones would come out clear winners every time.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #253 of 353
But a 325is with the proper settings has louder, more defined bass than most beats...the lower end AKGs like the K44, although a bit muddier than a 325i, I know has louder volumes, is clearer and has more bass too.  Probably you can squeeze as much bass out of a Sennheiser HD 25-1, heck even my old HD 495s can match  most Beats with their Bass response.  BTW, does Beats post any technical specs for their headphones? Then maybe we can substantiate our claims that they aren't as good as other headphones.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #254 of 353
Most people who own a pair of beats think they like their sound signature best, because they won't buy or listen to other headphones in the same price range. But if you go up to a beat owner and let them to try your own headphones, the first thing they'll tell you is that your headphones lack bass. Of course, its not that they lack bass at all, its just the the mid-bass response on the beats is so over emphasized that they won't give their ears and brain a chance to become accustom to a more balanced sound.

If they actually took the time to give their brain a chance to become familiar with a more balanced sound, then the balanced headphones would come out clear winners every time.

I'm reminded of a point Tyll made a few years ago, about how wonderful the brain is at "filling in" problem areas of a given headphone's response, and how listening to a single pair of cans exclusively will generally create the above problem (where the set you're familiar with, becomes the "standard of the world" and everything is judged against it (and invariably found lacking)). I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's certainly something to consider more broadly - most of us on Head-Fi have multiple pairs of headphones that we regularly switch between, and we celebrate their differences and quirks. And I'm guessing that's probably not the case for the majority of typical people.

I'll agree with the point about "your headphones lack bass" in comparison to Beats though. Not that I've ever found a "Beats Owner" to compare headphones with (I'll be honest, I've seen maybe 3-4 people on the street with Beats headphones in my entire life), but having demo'd a few pairs of Beats I certainly agree with the point about massively over-blown bass in the presentation. Especially relative to typical (or "old school") hi-fi headphones, that tend to be mid/treble emphasized to some extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back