Loki Mini Impressions
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #436 of 1,011
The input to the Loki should be a line level signal, not from a headphone jack. If your phone has a signal to the USB jack, you may be able to use that.
Im confused.

My Fosetx has [OUTPUT] (L, R) terminals (RCA pin jack) Connect to an amplifier, etc. Outputs an analog audio signal after the DA converter, isn't it LINE out? Sry if it's a dumb question... im just starting my way :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #437 of 1,011
Yes, you have it right. The Loki takes the same input you would feed to your amplifier. If that's causing noise you need to explore whether the problem is with the source (try some different ones if you can) or a defect in the Loki. The fron panel switch will bypass the equalizer circuit, so you may want to see if it's still bad in bypass mode.

Finally, don't rule out a bad cable. I've pulled my hair out for hours only to discover that I was using a bad cable.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #438 of 1,011
Yes, you have it right. The Loki takes the same input you would feed to your amplifier. If that's causing the noise you need to explore whether the problem is with the source (try some different ones if you can) or a defect in the Loki. The front panel switch will bypass the equalizer circuit, so you may want to see if it's still bad in bypass mode.

Finally, don't rule out a bad cable. I've pulled my hair out for hours only to discover that I was using a bad cable.

I will get myself tomorrow new USB ab AQ Forest and another interconnect and will see :) meanwhile waiting for a reply from shiit :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #439 of 1,011
is it indeed amp/dac but can be used in DAC only mode.
If u are right about overloading then why it's still producing those noises even with my Phone? LGv20 (headphone jack) -> Loki -> Emotiva or K5 -> Headphones? in that chain there is no chance my smartpohone will overload it. Also, there is no mention in the manual that this should be connected to DAC only... it says "ALL SOURCES"?

That headphone jack puts out an amplified signal. You need to use this only with line level outputs.

In other words, what @Wickham said, but to elaborate: if you try the suggestion of using USB then that signal would have to first go through an external DAC on its way to your Loki. I use UAPP for that.

This is not unique to the Loki. Equalizers only work with line level signals.

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #440 of 1,011
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #442 of 1,011
20180421_005212.jpg
AF1QipOV_0WrFwc1UlpNnFNEhk91NHXLvzLbDEgqy0Wl
That headphone jack puts out an amplified signal. You need to use this only with line level outputs.

In other words, what @Wickham said, but to elaborate: if you try the suggestion of using USB then that signal would have to first go through an external DAC on its way to your Loki. I use UAPP for that.

This is not unique to the Loki. Equalizers only work with line level signals.

I'm not using headphone jack from my Fostex, im using OUT that is on the back... those should bypass amp part and just be DAC out? Arn't they?

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #443 of 1,011
AF1QipOV_0WrFwc1UlpNnFNEhk91NHXLvzLbDEgqy0Wl

I'm not using headphone jack from my Fostex, im using OUT that is on the back... those should bypass amp part and just be DAC out? Arn't they?

Yes that should work. This is interesting though. I just looked up the specs of that Fostex, and the output level of those RCA jacks is 2Vrms.

That is professional level power, much higher than the range of consumer line level outputs. See the table titled "Line levels and their approximate nominal voltage levels" at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

You may have discovered a design limitation of the Loki! You may want to mention this in your emails to Schiit Support.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #446 of 1,011
Here is another setup.

LGV20 -> cheap jack2RCA - > Loki - AG Forest RCA2RCA -> FiiOk5 -> Shure 846.
Static is there no matter LG is connected or DISconnected...

It looks like my Loki is just a defective unit? or i just duuno :frowning2:((

Could be that you have all the gain levels on Loki cranked up to max that's causing distortion... That would cause terrible distortion on most peoples systems. Why don't you try putting them all to "0" and then see if the distortion goes away. If it does, slowly increase them to a reasonable level that your system can handle.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #449 of 1,011
And why is there a startup delay on their products...The Topping A30/D30 has no delay...so if those are paired with the Topping, you have to turn on the Loki and wait...

Protection relays. Most people leave their equipment on all the time. They say it sounds better. I'd rather save the electricity.

I hear Schiit puts out a lot of defective devices :)

From what I've seen they have a very low defect rate. And that's even before compensating for the complaint loudness enhancement factor of online forums. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back