Loki Mini Impressions
Nov 1, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #181 of 1,011
It does a superb job, IMO. Makes the foam inserts superfluous unnecessary. I barely turn up the second knob and turn up the first knob a little more than that and I'm happy with the sound.

+1. I have the Aeon Flow Closed and my adjustment with the Loki is very similar with the added adjustment of lowering 8k about 1db. Sounds absolutely spectacular.

Sigh... I guess I have to shell more money... :wink:

Thanks guys for the replies!

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #182 of 1,011
Quick question before jumping in and buying a Loki:
If my source is a Windows PC - what's the advantage of Loki compared to EQ through the playback software?

Setup is:
Windows 7 or 10 PC -> USB -> Amethyst DAC -> (maybe add Loki) -> Amp (Schiit Jot / HeadAmp Gilmore Lite MK2) -> headphones

I understand EQ by software would make the change to the digital audio before going to DAC, vs. Loki which changes analog audio between DAC and Amp. But is the latter better?! How so (if the answer is "yes")?

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #183 of 1,011
Quick question before jumping in and buying a Loki:
If my source is a Windows PC - what's the advantage of Loki compared to EQ through the playback software?

Setup is:
Windows 7 or 10 PC -> USB -> Amethyst DAC -> (maybe add Loki) -> Amp (Schiit Jot / HeadAmp Gilmore Lite MK2) -> headphones

I understand EQ by software would make the change to the digital audio before going to DAC, vs. Loki which changes analog audio between DAC and Amp. But is the latter better?! How so (if the answer is "yes")?

Thanks!
Mike's rant here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-322#post-13748153

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #184 of 1,011
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #185 of 1,011
Has anyone used the Loki with speakers? Could this simulate a baffle step correction for DIY speakers? I have a speaker project in the plans, as well as a newly acquired pair of Quad ESL-57's that have a serious mid-bass bump that needs to corrected because of its placement too close to the floor.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #186 of 1,011
Has anyone used the Loki with speakers? Could this simulate a baffle step correction for DIY speakers? I have a speaker project in the plans, as well as a newly acquired pair of Quad ESL-57's that have a serious mid-bass bump that needs to corrected because of its placement too close to the floor.

I'm using mine to improve midrange on one pair of speakers, and control the treble on another pair. I suppose it could be used to correct that mid-bass bump, but with only four bands I doubt you'd be able to tailor it to sound exactly like the results of a well-designed BSC circuit.

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #188 of 1,011
Looking fwd to your thoughts when you get it!

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #190 of 1,011
I've had my Loki mini for a few days now and I'm pleasantly surprised. I was worried about it adding a veil to the music even with the dials set to neutral. Turns out the worries were unfounded. It's completely transparent - unless of course, you adjust tone. Good schiit!
Agree...I've been very happy as well. Consider it a very good purchase.

Bern

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #191 of 1,011
I've had my Loki mini for a few days now and I'm pleasantly surprised. I was worried about it adding a veil to the music even with the dials set to neutral. Turns out the worries were unfounded. It's completely transparent - unless of course, you adjust tone. Good schiit!

Good to hear. I'm planning to purchase one and have it sent to our hotel in NYC when we take a brief vacation there shortly before Christmas. I'll bring it back within our duty free allowance.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #192 of 1,011
Loki mini is now feeding the HEV70. The tone control is very welcome in this set-up since the HEV70 is a weak (for the money) and bright amp.
Tuned the treble down by ~ 30 deg. maskes the sibilance while not interfering with any other aspect of the beautiful electrostat that is the HE60.

It's way to soon to tell how it will work out but the initial impressions are more then OK. This is how tone control should be executed.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #193 of 1,011
After a few days (~ 2 hours a day) I decided it wasn't the treble that I'd like to change but the (lack of) bass.
Right now I'm dreaming away with some tunes, enjoying the musicality that the HE60 offers.

The difference added by the Loki mini is present and not to ignore; it is amazing for it's money!
One weird thing I noticed though is when I turn the 3rd knob from the left the panning actually change! turn it to the left reduces the lvl in the right channel and the other way around. It does reduce/increase the mid-highs as well as expected! I've only tested this with the Loki mini feeding the HEV70 -> HE60 combi.

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #194 of 1,011
After a few days (~ 2 hours a day) I decided it wasn't the treble that I'd like to change but the (lack of) bass.
Right now I'm dreaming away with some tunes, enjoying the musicality that the HE60 offers.

The difference added by the Loki mini is present and not to ignore; it is amazing for it's money!
One weird thing I noticed though is when I turn the 3rd knob from the left the panning actually change! turn it to the left reduces the lvl in the right channel and the other way around. It does reduce/increase the mid-highs as well as expected! I've only tested this with the Loki mini feeding the HEV70 -> HE60 combi.
Hmm. Might want to ring Schiit abt that 3rd knob, I think... ?

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #195 of 1,011
Hmm. Might want to ring Schiit abt that 3rd knob, I think... ?
I might, need to check how my rudistor RPX-33 reacts to it but I'll do that later, at the moment I'm enjoying the tunes with the knob 'centered' (though as more have reported it is not in the center; my OCD is killing me here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back