Logitech's Squeezebox Touch - opinions sought on quality
Apr 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #286 of 314
I have it and the spdif out is really nice. Though I manage to squeeze even more quality out of it with a firmware modification done by some linux genius. It's incredible at first I really thought the change was huge, and every time I reset to factory setting the regular SBT sound inferior, but is my mind playing tricks?
For sure my preference is for the mod!
It's called Touch Toolbox 3.0.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #287 of 314
I did compare the two and I think the server doing the uncompressing is far more musical and relax sounding. Flac decompressing in the Touch is really inferior in my setup. I use the hardwired mod and wifi is killed.
Soundcheck got it sorted out.
Quote:

Actually sending uncompressed wav has been proven to put more load on the Touch because of the extra network load than decoding FLAC.  It's been discussed in detail on the forums as well.

Just set your server back to sending flac.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #288 of 314
Might as well resurrect this thread rather than start new one.

I have a spare linear 5V 1A power supply lying around, which I want to try on the squeezebox touch

http://m.cpc.co.uk/en-GB/product.aspx?pid=PW02826

Only thing is the 2.1 connector is different from the one on the Logitech p/s and doesn't fit. I tried a 2.1 to 2.5 mm adapter but it's not the correct size either. Does anyone know what size the Logitech is and whether an adapter is available?  Thanks

2.1 mm

Logitech.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #291 of 314
Have two Squeezeboxes (SB2) and am considering a Touch. I've gone through this entire thread. Perhaps i missed it, but:

Would anyone who actually compared the Touch to an older SB for digital output only comment on any difference(s)?

Thanks... 

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #292 of 314
Quote:
Have two Squeezeboxes (SB2) and am considering a Touch. I've gone through this entire thread. Perhaps i missed it, but:

Would anyone who actually compared the Touch to an older SB for digital output only comment on any difference(s)?

Thanks... 

Yep, I had both for years, feeding dacs through coax.
No contest, the Touch sounds superior through the digital out on all fronts; the Classic has a dull undynamic sound that is typical of jitter.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #295 of 314
Quote:

Thanks... 

The Touch is supposedly 50ps jitter, which is quite good. Stereophile did some measurements of it and it is actually better than some older high end cd-players (regarding jitter).

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #299 of 314
No digital output, it's not even stereo. There's several threads on the slimdevices forums, with some good insider info. There will be other products coming out, but they can't talk about them. The new system doesn't stream directly from your server to the Touch, it has to go through the internet. No ability to do random play. Get the old ones while you can, or go to something else. The local library features will continue to work, but the other services most likely will be phased out in a few years. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #300 of 314
Damn, what is Logitech doing?  (They should just stick to making high-quality gaming mice)

Are there any other similar devices that can sorta function as a bit transporter with coax out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back