Logitech 5500 Speakers
Aug 8, 2007 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tem

100+ Head-Fier
What do you people think of this 5.1 setup with 10" subwoofer? I am looking for something loud and BOOMY for my computer. This seems good. I had a X-530 before this but got rid of it lol. Any suggestions maybe?
confused.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 16
I got this, and to be honest it's not that great.
If you just want to play games through it or watch movies in 5 channels, then it's fine.
But for music, look somewhere else and get a nice 2 channel setup or something for the same price, you'll be much happier.
But for your criteria, it's OK: it can definitely go loud and very boomy if you want that for some reason (I don't see why).

And look out if you buy some of the older production models, they are known to give a heavy pop whenever a light is switched on or something similar, the newer production models solved this prob, or lessened it at least.

And, in case you were wondering, the headphone out on the control pod is terrible, you would get better SQ running a headphone straight from an average DAP.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks. Got any suggestions for a 2.1 setup?

Logitech Z2300? Sorry if this sounds noobish but I am highly new to this stuff.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Heh! I remember years ago I had purchased a little stand-alone multi-media subwoofer(6.5"); I believe it was a Labtec or similar brand. Anyway, the original sub would get thrashed around too easily by high volume so I replaced it with a 6.5" Kicker Freeair sub and it rocked! It was amazing playing Quake and having those rocket explosions go off around you. I remember using it while listening with headphones and it made for a really neat gaming experience.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 16
I looked at the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 and the sub is a 6.5"? lol.

I really would prefer something with a 8" or a 10"? Or does it matter?

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 and the sub is a 6.5"? lol.

I really would prefer something with a 8" or a 10"? Or does it matter?

I own these speakers. There's plenty of bass from the sub. Most of the time, I keep the bass knob lower than the recommended setting. When you turn it up, you can feel the throw from far away. You can use this system to throw house parties.
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 16
...lol, i think the OP doesnt like neighbours or something.

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 16
Aug 9, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 16
meh...forget speakers in that price range id say. lol. i own the z5500 and to be completely honest, it is VERY loud and BOOMY. loud and boomy to the point that i NEVER use it over my home headphone rig unless i have friends over and were "bumping" rap or w/e. as others suggested, if you want a speaker setup with good SQ, go for a higher end 2.1 system instead - 100%.

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 16
TBH, i have NEVER heard anything go as loud as the 5500 in that price range (and WAY above, hell the only thing louder then a 5500 i've heard where the huge speakers at outdoor parties).

With 100% volume and 100% base, you wont last long, either due to extreme hearing loss, or due to an angry mob of mad neighbors.
I do not think anyone will go beyond 30% (except for throwing in a party).

However quality isn't that great, like every Logitech speaker rig.

If you want lots of noise and booming base, the 5500 is a fine choice.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 16
lmao.

thanks guys. i will look more into a 2.1 setup and finalize it when the time is right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 16
I have the z5500 as well and i absolutely love them without a doubt! in my opinion they are the best pc speakers i used to have the cambridge and they didnt sound as good and distorted at high volume. these z5500 are better than the z680 in the other room here. the sound is crystal clear at high volume you can hear every detail it has big boom if you want it many connections too. thx certifed etc. i think these are top notch. if you want audiophile speakers then look elsewhere but these are really good to the average person.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 16
I have the z-5500 and i love them. its very loud and boomy and very fun to listen to. I have owned the klipsch promedia 5.1 and i like it, but it lacks some of the fun factor and the look of the logitech. when you consider those cost $200 around ebay, those are a great buy. I like listen music on those then i do with my ie7. of course i pair this speaker with the x-fi sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back