LOD for the Sansa Fuze?
Mar 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

PhilipV

New Head-Fier
Well I'm considering buying a line out cable for my sansa fuze and was wondering if it made a difference in sound quality, there is one on ebay that seems pretty decent and isn't that expensive, only $35. Now I am wondering if the LOD will make the sound quality any better, I'll be using an RE0 IEM and an iBasso T3 amplifier.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 35
The Fuze sounds very very good on it's own. I do however have a modded Griffin Power Dock that I've noticed does allow me to extract better sound from amps. The difference is quite large using very high quality amp/headphones. It's actually pretty easy to do yourself if you are interested. There was a big thread aound here.

Are you using this on the go or stationary?

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm considering buying a line out cable for my sansa fuze and was wondering if it made a difference in sound quality, there is one on ebay that seems pretty decent and isn't that expensive, only $35. Now I am wondering if the LOD will make the sound quality any better, I'll be using an RE0 IEM and an iBasso T3 amplifier.

Don't waste your money. If you do your homework you will find that a Fuze doesn't benefit from a LOD they way an ipod does.

There is a thread about loaner LODs for the Fuze. Get on the list and try one out before you spend your money.

After you get the loaner LOD, record a WAV directly from the LOD (using Audacity) and then record the same thing from the headphone out at full volume. If you put the WAVs in two different folders you can give them the same name.

Now pop them into foobar and see if you can tell them apart.

USG

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ebay seller is offering a return back if you don't feel its nice,I feel this is a nice deal, pick it up what have you got to loose.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ebay seller is offering a return back if you don't feel its nice,I feel this is a nice deal, pick it up what have you got to loose.

So you buy it.

USG

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you buy it.

USG

I'am not a fussy cable person, I feel one decent LOD is enough,spend more time and money on rest of my rig that makes sense,atleast I feel
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 35
I like how the fuze sounds but the amp capabilities of the HO isn't enough to drive some IEMs - RE0s etc.

It does sound better with a LOD as it is cleaner instead of double amping.
I have played around with LODs that is modular to fit different caps and just plain ones, different kind of ICs that has been DIY'ed and you can hear it yourself how the sound is shaped.

However getting one with just the dock and a female jack makes more sense as you can play around with the cables to suit your amp/phone.

By itself the HO is quite good with sensitive, easier to drive IEMs/Phones but it has its limitations.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like how the fuze sounds but the amp capabilities of the HO isn't enough to drive some IEMs

It does sound better with a LOD as it is cleaner instead of double amping.

By itself the HO is quite good with sensitive, easier to drive IEMs/Phones but it has its limitations.

For your information, I can drive my 880s and 650s from the headphone out. Not as loud as perhaps some of you would like, but loud enough to be able to enjoy the differences between those headphones.

The line out and the headphone out are for all intents and purposes the same signal. There is no double amping with a Fuze. Everything is done digitally from a single internal chip.

Sansafix posted on the Sansa forum that the line out is exactly the same as the headphone out at 100% volume.

USG

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

After you get the loaner LOD, record a WAV directly from the LOD (using Audacity) and then record the same thing from the headphone out at full volume. If you put the WAVs in two different folders you can give them the same name.

Now pop them into foobar and see if you can tell them apart.

USG

that's a pretty cool way to do a comparison between HP out and LOD. thanks for the tip USG!

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

For your information, I can drive my 880s and 650s from the headphone out. Not as loud as perhaps some of you would like, but loud enough to be able to enjoy the differences between those headphones.

The line out and the headphone out are for all intents and purposes the same signal. There is no double amping with a Fuze. Everything is done digitally from a single internal chip.

Sansafix posted on the Sansa forum that the line out is exactly the same as the headphone out at 100% volume.

USG

Thats interesting to note.
But the weird thing is that HO to E5 vs LO to E5

The HO to E5 at max volume, the E5 seems to act like a attenuator.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats interesting to note.
But the weird thing is that HO to E5 vs LO to E5

The HO to E5 at max volume, the E5 seems to act like a attenuator.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. This should fix it.

settings > system settings > volume > high (not normal)

USG

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

USG

What about this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The claim of '100% are equivalent to a line out with no loss in quality' isn't really correct. The original post by Sansafix (Sandisk tech support) was meant to refer to the volume / loudness between LO and PO at max, not the SQ. Below is the PM I got back from Sansafix himself when I was doing research for the LOD project, and as he has pointed out, Fuze headphone out and line-out is not the same. As for how big a difference is b/w LO and PO, you can read some impression from those who did try the LOD for themselves.

Fuze-sansafix.jpg

Sansafix replied directly onto my original PM with ">>" + answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back