LOD + AMP for Ipod Classic
Dec 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiisus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sendstation and airhead/bithead?

I was curious about that as well. Is it really going to be worth spending that extra $60+ on the LOD? If so, at what point is it going to be noticeable?

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #17 of 38
You're poking at something much larger there, man. There's die hard cable fans, and die hard cable enemies.

I personally don't have much of an opinion because I haven't heard any $60+ LODs. But, I also don't believe it would make a huge difference, and unless you have a great setup with some reference phones, you won't hear a difference. So, to me, the $30 sendstation seems pretty decent.

As far as the bithead/airhead go; I definitely recommend one. I use the bithead, and I love it. Works pretty well if you're going for a portable setup. If you don't need portable, than I'm sure a desktop amp would be a much better investment.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #19 of 38
$15 isn't bad at all! I like the mini-USB option with the Sendstation, though. Quite handy.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 38
Sorry to revive an old topic but I'm actually in the exact same position as the original poster, same iPod, same headphones, looking for a LOD and amp around the same price range, so I figured I would post on this thread rather than starting a new one. Any more suggestions?

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #21 of 38
I have the latest generation classic though Denon headphones. If you can stretch a tiny bit why not get the best of the best in terms of sound.. The Stepdance. Sure, battery life is not great and it is a little more bulky than some of the slimmer designs but the sound, oh the sound! The classic sounds organic with this amp, just go over to the stepdance appreciation thread and take a look at the comments.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507835/meier-audio-stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread

Remember, the $370 is inclusive of shipping, just get yourself a cheap lod from one of the folks on the forum like Barquay or one of the fiio ones from ebay and away you go. Oh yes, factor in rechargeable batteries and charger.. I know it all adds to the cost but you are so close in terms of cost it really is worth saving a little longer for as you get the very best of the best. Trust me, you will not want to stop listening to your music!

Oh yes, hope you are listening in lossless as it makes all the difference as well!

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #23 of 38
Do check out the buy and sell section for second hand stuff, so if you did not like it you wont be selling something for a loss

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
Sorry to revive an old topic but I'm actually in the exact same position as the original poster, same iPod, same headphones, looking for a LOD and amp around the same price range, so I figured I would post on this thread rather than starting a new one. Any more suggestions?

Don't buy into the foolery which are expensive LOD. The whole expensive cable deal is the biggest hoax in high end audio. Now to answer your question I have the iPod Classic 160gb, with Ad900. I bought the FiiO L3 LOD, over the L1 since the L1 looked fragile, and the FiiO E7. I chose the FiiO E7 because it has great battery life, simple controls, and can also act as a desktop DAC/amp if needed. I didn't notice much of a difference at first with my Ad900 to be honest until I plugged directly into my iPod in some AB testing. I noticed that it sounded a bit grainy, which hadn't bothered me before. It cleared up the detail slightly. I then turned the bass boost feature on one and am very happy with how it made it slightly more punchy, but not bloated in the least.

I definitely recommend the FiiO L3 LOD with the E7.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #25 of 38
[quote name="keanex" url="/forum/thread/458775/lod-amp-for-ipod-classic/15#post_7310642"]
Don't buy into the foolery which are expensive LOD. The whole expensive cable deal is the biggest hoax in high end audio. .
[/quote]

Maybe you should put "IMHO" after that Statement just as I am about to put.. IMHO my ALO LOD has contributed significantly to the sound of my system. I personally noticed quite a difference between it and a cheaper alternative.. Just wanted to bring some balance in to the debate and some folks, including myself do hear a difference and if you knew me personally you would certainly know I am not a delusional person! Also, could you back your authoritative statement up, have you listened for an extended period to the higher end LOD's and compared them to the cheaper alternatives, if so then your statement holds validity in your experience and is a valuable contribution to the debate.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #27 of 38
There's plenty of threads and scientific proof debunking the tom foolery of audio cables. Read up on placebo and psychosomatic's and while you're at it get someone to blind test you 20 times.

Yes there are but once again, have you listened personally to a high end lod such as ALO?

Please answer that question before we continue the debate. And when I say
listen I mean somewhere quiet for an extended period of time with lesser priced lod's to compare with.
remember as well, I pre-phrased my comment with IMHO, I am not making a statement saying I am right and you are wrong.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
Don't buy into the foolery which are expensive LOD. The whole expensive cable deal is the biggest hoax in high end audio. Now to answer your question I have the iPod Classic 160gb, with Ad900. I bought the FiiO L3 LOD, over the L1 since the L1 looked fragile, and the FiiO E7. I chose the FiiO E7 because it has great battery life, simple controls, and can also act as a desktop DAC/amp if needed. I didn't notice much of a difference at first with my Ad900 to be honest until I plugged directly into my iPod in some AB testing. I noticed that it sounded a bit grainy, which hadn't bothered me before. It cleared up the detail slightly. I then turned the bass boost feature on one and am very happy with how it made it slightly more punchy, but not bloated in the least.

I definitely recommend the FiiO L3 LOD with the E7.

Although I have no experience with expensive cabling, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to say that it makes absolutely no difference to a system. Perhaps a $100 vs $150 LOD won't have much of a difference but I'm a sure if you compared them to a $15 one they would. As I said I have no experience in this area I'm just using basic logic.

This is largely irrelevant to me at this point as I am just looking for a basic improvement of what I have, so thank you for your suggestion I will check out the E7.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 38
for a ipod.... either alo rx or headstage arrow 3g he (whatever the newest one is called).... they match up size wise well with ipods.

as for LOD's.... thats totally up to you.  I prefer low profile LOD's with a right angle plug.... makes the rig more portable.  I use a Whiplash twag lod, but alo has some good stuff.... there is always ones in the FS forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back