Loading "copy" protected albums to i-pods
Nov 4, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 36
I haven't had any problems at all...

For the purposes of this thread, I recorded one of my worst 'protected' CDs, from Shakira, it used to not just refuse to play on my PC, it used to lock it up...

...I've been using the 'hold down the left shift button' trick for a while, and can successfully say that I ripped this CD with iTunes with no problem at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #17 of 36
Yeah, I always have trouble ripping those “EMI copy protected” CDs at home and at work. EAC does a pretty good job, but a few tracks still have that audible pop at the beginning of the track.

copy_control_logo_.jpg

Now I am more careful of what CDs I buy and refuse to buy any that have copy protection. When we buy a CD, we should have the right to listen to it anyway we want, whether it’s on a CD player, computer or mp3 player. As long as I am not distributing it to others, then I don't think that I am doing anything illegal. The RIAA and the record companies suck!

rolleyes.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #18 of 36
Thanks guys for all the good advice. Sorry travel has kept me off Head fi for a couple of days so my reply is a bit slow.

First up, no returning CDs in Australia is difficult except for one chain HMV. But HMV is a very big chain of stores here. They let you return a CD you don't like... not bad hey! If I hadn't bought the CD here I would have argued the CD was broken but heck, it might have been an arguement.

Anyhow, Joss Stone is returned now. I'm a bit sad this is the way the music industry is treating its legitimate customers. Its criminal.

I'll look into EAC in the future but one tip that I'll pass on. The Joss Stone copy protection had in fine print on the back of the album something like "you may find this album doesnt play on some car CD players". How good is that. Too bad if its your car CD player. What are they thinking. So if I ever see that again I'll pass on the album, even if its John Lennon's lost album!!!

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #19 of 36
EAC didn't work for me with a Deep Purple album.
Just made an image of the CD with CloneCD, mount the image and then ripped it with EAC.
Worked like a charm
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #20 of 36
One of the EAC prebetas will rip protected CDs, just not in Secure Mode, you have to use Burst Mode or you get tracks of silence.

I've done this with all of my Avex Trax albums, which are all copy protected.

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphox
You did the right thing returning it.

For you guys buying/ripping CP-discs: you're just supporting this mess, EAC or not.

True, but what if you REALLY like a particular CD?
biggrin.gif

Personally, I refuse to buy one that is copy-protected, but they're not always easy to spot.

I seem to recall that when these defective CDs started to appear, there were people calling on everyone to buy one and return it as defective. There probably weren't enough people doing it to be noticed by the music industry, but it was an interesting idea.

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #23 of 36
what can you do though daphox?

Not a lot... the RIAA and the record labels currently have most of the cards, but it won't be long before hardware vendors / hackers can defeat all of the codes...

Afterall, think about DVDs... 5 different regions (not including region 6 which is for anywhere)... discs cannot be played in the wrong regions... how long did it take for people to add extra chips etc to the DVD players, and in turn for manufacturers to allow codes in 'via the back door' (with your remote) to allow the players to play discs NOT from their native region.

Same with Macrovision... didn't take long for that to be cracked...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
what can you do though daphox?

I know, it's tough.

Personally, this has only happened with 1 CD I really, really wanted: Anita Baker's "My Everything". When it was released in Sweden I simply refused buying it. Much later I found a US-import (unprotected of course) much cheaper, 2nd hand.

For me, the descision not to buy one is pretty simple: I simply see the disc as "defective", nothing worth spending my money on. If (in the future) I won't find an unprotected one, I'll wait for someone else buying it so I can "borrow" it. After that I'll tell 'em they can return their defective CD
wink.gif
. If I later find it unprotected I'll buy it...

Dec 27, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
One of the EAC prebetas will rip protected CDs, just not in Secure Mode, you have to use Burst Mode or you get tracks of silence.

I've done this with all of my Avex Trax albums, which are all copy protected.

EAC is only good with Secure Mode; it's the same as any other audio ripper if you use Burst or Fast. The older betas and prebetas can detect the right TOCs which may have been edited as part of the copy protection.

But...get a Plextor or Lite-On and your problems will mostly be solved
eggosmile.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #27 of 36
I had the impressions though that this year fewer new albums were copy protected than maybe one or two years ago. Am I wrong (I didn't buy too many new albums this year, mostly older ones, but those from 2004 that I have are all unprotected IIRC), or is the industry actually wisening up?

Dec 27, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 36
I use an old prebeta of EAC bundled with an Plextor Premium CD-R drive... In secure mode this combo ripped every copy protected I inserted.
Here in Germany when can also return copy protected CD's when they don't run on our home players and stuff but I think there are many people who copy the CD's and return them later. So what sense has copy protection in this case?
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffreyWiffen
I've only had an issue with one copy controlled disc in my collection. All but one (Ben Harper's Diamonds on the Inside) have loaded, played, and ripped on my Mac using iTunes. The Harper disc wouldn't even load on my Mac.

On a Mac, running OS X 10.3.x and Roxio's Toast 6.0.5, launch Toast 6 and insert the offending, non launching, RIAA as*hole protected disk... rip the native AIFF files to disk. Set iTunes' prefs for 'Importing' to Import into iTunes. Does it for me. You can then transcode the uncompressed AIFF audio files to: 'Import using: Apple Lossless', check the lower two checkboxes in that Dialog Box, and away you go...

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #30 of 36
i hate copy protected cd's because their quality is less than normal cd.
i have one copy protected cd from john coltrane's blue train... it sucks. it's less detailled and less "sharp".
besides that, my studer cdp reads also how much dirt or damage the cd has. well, this copy protected one has a fault index that's sky high...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back