Loading "copy" protected albums to i-pods
Nov 3, 2004 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
I was torn as to posting here or in the music forum but you guys are the portable audio experts so I throw my question to your intellects.

Copy protection has finally got me frustrated to the point where I returned Joss Stone's new album. I simply could not do with it what I wanted... that is load it to my I-pod.

Inserting the disk in my computer (pretty standard near new with an XP operating system) it loads its own player menu from the CD. So far so good. One button even says "copy to computer?". Since explorer showed no WAV files at all, this menu button is where I started. Shock, all it did was copy some pre-made WMA files to my computer. Hmmm, no hi res audio being copied here I suggest from the file sizes. Worse still, no choice of WAV or lossless. Forget AAC.

Interestingly the CD has two very obviously separated recorded sections you can see on the disk. But for the life of me I could not find the WAV files using explorer.

So back to the shop Joss Stone went. Sad, as I actually liked the album. The real problem the industry is going to create is that for me a pirate CD is a better deal at an even higher price than the original... Not that I support pirate CDs but the logic of the manufacturer is ridiculus - someone other than I might be tempted to go to the dark side and support some pirate. Its a bit like DVD copyright warnings. I'll pay more NOT to have them but I can choose to pay less from a pirate and avoid them altogether. One Fox DVD I bought (a Simpsons DVD) had the copyright in 9 different languages that took three and a half minutes to run... wow, needless to say my kids had left the room by then...

I'm getting distracted. But the essence of my point is that these blatent disregards for consumers will force some to give up on copy protected products. I feel it could well be me!

Any tips on how to pay for an album and then actually use it on my i-pod.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 36
When that Window loaded, Software was also installed on you PC that hides the WAVs. Its basically a virus. You need to get rid of it, the simplest way being to use system restore to go back to before the RIAA ruined your PC. Then when you put one of these discs in hold down the Shift key. This will keep Autorun from Autorunning... then use EAC to rip the WAVs.

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 36
I've only had an issue with one copy controlled disc in my collection. All but one (Ben Harper's Diamonds on the Inside) have loaded, played, and ripped on my Mac using iTunes. The Harper disc wouldn't even load on my Mac.

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by greedycheese
When that Window loaded, Software was also installed on you PC that hides the WAVs. Its basically a virus. You need to get rid of it, the simplest way being to use system restore to go back to before the RIAA ruined your PC. Then when you put one of these discs in hold down the Shift key. This will keep Autorun from Autorunning... then use EAC to rip the WAVs.

Hmm...is it legal for the RIAA to do that? Is there a warning on the disc that tells you software will be permanently installed on your computer?

Nov 3, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 36
Same here, EAC has done wonders with my copy-protected cds.

Nov 3, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Hmm...is it legal for the RIAA to do that? Is there a warning on the disc that tells you software will be permanently installed on your computer?

It's illegal and I'm surprised there haven't been any lawsuits filed against the RIAA.

You can bypass the auto-loader when you put the CD in by holding the 'Shift' key.. someone verify this for me though.

Also, you can use Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip the CD's audio properly. It has a variety of file formats, but when I tried to rip in AAC, it wouldn't play back in iTunes.. but then when I tried ripping in iTunes, I could no problem. So maybe you should delete that virus that was illegally installed onto your computer by one of the most corrupt organizations on the planet, then load the CD and bypass the auto-loader by holding 'Shift' (again, someone verify this) and then try to rip it using iTunes. If iTunes still can't rip it then use Easy CD-DA Extractor.

but wait, didn't you say you returned it? hehe... oh well.. info for the next guy...

Nov 3, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 36
TonyTripleA,

In Australia you can return a CD that's been opened? Wow. That's great for the consumer since, hypothetically, you could go to the record store, buy CDs, copy them and then return them.

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 36
Try installing Tweak-XP on your system. It is a handy little program, that among many things allows you to disable autorun on the CD/DVD drives.

There also also other options, but I hesitate to mention them for fear of violating forums rules
rolleyes.gif
Let's just say they are CD and DVD "back up" solutions
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
You can bypass the auto-loader when you put the CD in by holding the 'Shift' key.. someone verify this for me though.

Yes, that's right. But be sure to keep the "Shift" key pressed down until the light on your CD drive turns off.

Nov 3, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 36
As mentioned, hold down the shift key while inserting the cd, rip wavs with EAC to your hard drive, then do what you want with them. I have yet to come across a disc this method didn't work on.

Nov 4, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 36
Whether you can rip in Secure Mode (that's what EAC is for, right) successfully in EAC depends largely on your CD drive. Some models can rip any kind of copy protected CDs, others can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back