Lo Fi
Jan 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus
Sometimes you just want to listen to some music but don't really want to put together all your nice equipment and you can't stand the radio. Especially if I think I'd doze off or I'm watching action sports like golf (?) on TV with the volume off. In such circumstances I use an "old" iPod nano (1st generation), a Fiio e1 headphone amp (US$15 new) and a pair of Koss KSC75 headphones (also US$15 new). Cheap lo-fi? I'd be interested to hear some comments on whether some people do the same.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Sometimes you just want to listen to some music but don't really want to put together all your nice equipment and you can't stand the radio. Especially if I think I'd doze off or I'm watching action sports like golf (?) on TV with the volume off. In such circumstances I use an "old" iPod nano (1st generation), a Fiio e1 headphone amp (US$15 new) and a pair of Koss KSC75 headphones (also US$15 new). Cheap lo-fi? I'd be interested to hear some comments on whether some people do the same.

If im too lazy i just bring my regular HFI 580's and plug it directly into the ipod. i am usually engaged in conversation and not even really lsitening so it doesn't matter to me then.

I will be getting the E17 when it comes out (my E5 broke) and that will be my.....all around use anyway. Since it's always with me. my hi fi setup and low fi setup are almost exact except that if and when i use it with a computer through SPDIF. the E17 wil be in use as 24/192

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Lo-Fi is very underrated around here. Just the talk of it seems to under play what all of Head-Fi stands for. In reality when you compare what folks listened to in the 1950s everything is Hi-Fi now to an extent. That's the great part about the times we live in. If your doing an outdoor sport where possible damage to good equipment would be questionable, Lo-Fi has all it's merit. Nothing wrong with a cheepo set of IEMs if you can tolerate the sound. Much of this stuff has a limited life in extreme outdoor use, why break expensive stuff? 

Even a super cheep off brand MP3 player holds more songs than those stackable record players did in the 1970s.

Another plus that should be used more is the concept of contrast. After playing lo-fi for a day or two going to hi-fi sounds like it is almost worth the money!

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 10
Kind of off topic, but aren't the 1st gen nano's on recall? Seems you either get a refurb 1st gen or a current-gen one.

And, well, in my case I don't have any other gear than source + headphone so can't say I got a hi fi setup...
My usual setup on the go is either my ATH-SJ5 or HA-M750 into my Sony Ericsson phone... don't remember the model name but its from the walkman series. I just like how I can set manual EQ on it, and how I don't have to carry anything else in my pocket.

Looking into a Fiio (between a e10/e11/e17) probably, though as none of my headphones absolutely need it at the moment so I may skip it altogether if not a desktop amp.

...and I still don't know how people can use Grado's in the metro. I wouldn't be able to hear a thing.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Kind of off topic, but aren't the 1st gen nano's on recall? Seems you either get a refurb 1st gen or a current-gen one.

And, well, in my case I don't have any other gear than source + headphone so can't say I got a hi fi setup...
My usual setup on the go is either my ATH-SJ5 or HA-M750 into my Sony Ericsson phone... don't remember the model name but its from the walkman series. I just like how I can set manual EQ on it, and how I don't have to carry anything else in my pocket.

Looking into a Fiio (between a e10/e11/e17) probably, though as none of my headphones absolutely need it at the moment so I may skip it altogether if not a desktop amp.

...and I still don't know how people can use Grado's in the metro. I wouldn't be able to hear a thing.

Yes 1st gens are on recall. you can get a brand NEW ipod ano right now :) If you prefer the wolfson in ur 1st gen nano, then i can see that....but whynot get the new nano. sell it on ebay or something for $120 and bring out some cash for a classic :)

I prefer ipods to sony's. Sony walkman's can use LOD's but i liek the DAC and how high quality ipod parts are. and standard at that.

Yeah. some people can use Grado's..bc they aren't full blown audiophiles. meaning dont notice it. when i say not full blown audiophiles. i mean..they haven't heard of head -fi :)

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, I recall the 1st gen nano has better output sound than the newer ones, but I thought since we're talking about lo-fi it may not matter as much :p
With that said, I don't have an ipod nor better cellphone, thus me sticking with this Walkman slide phone.
As for the Grado's, I meant how they don't block any ambient sound xD

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, I recall the 1st gen nano has better output sound than the newer ones, but I thought since we're talking about lo-fi it may not matter as much :p
With that said, I don't have an ipod nor better cellphone, thus me sticking with this Walkman slide phone.
As for the Grado's, I meant how they don't block any ambient sound xD

who cares how they sound? get one. sell it. buy a good sounding one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back