Lo-fi tubes. Very, very lo-fi.
May 18, 2004 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
Just out of morbid curiousity, anyone tried one of these?

I'm posting in this forum only because it seems, in some very vague and abstract sense, to resemble an amp more than anything else I can name... Somehow, I don't see this as a threat to the Singlepower PPX3.
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]Warning to the unwary: site contains bad language and worse sound.[/size]

May 18, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 13
I kind of like the effect it put on that guitar..... Mmmm distortion.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

This bizarre tube defines poor fidelity and does various horrible things, especially in this circuit. A neon lamp in the feedback loop plus some other special features causes all kinds of non-stability, plus loads of screeching, gagging awfulness. It's not stable under all regimes, it sometimes oscillates at ultrasonic frequencies, and as a special bonus, it puts out such a "hot" signal that there is a real danger of the Agonizer damaging some types of solid-state equipment. Isn't that CUTE?? So go ahead and plug it into your computer's soundcard input, dumbass. Ha ha ha.

eek.gif

eek.gif

I seriously wouldn't mind hearing somebody play a song with their guitar distorted like that, though. I thought it was kind of refreshing to hear a new and wierd kind of distorted guitar lick.
tongue.gif

May 18, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 13
The attempt at "attitude" in the writing is as painful as the sound the thing puts out...
tongue.gif

May 19, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Just out of morbid curiousity, anyone tried one of these?

And lived?
evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The attempt at "attitude" in the writing is as painful as the sound the thing puts out...
tongue.gif

i thought that was brilliantly written personally.
biggrin.gif

edit: i just listened to the sample mp3s and i kind of like those too. i wonder how much they are if they're actually for sale. i couldn't figure that part out.

May 19, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 13
No, I haven't tried it, but it (or something like it) has been on my wish-list for a very, very long time. I've been familiar with Metasonix since they came out with the first all-tube synthesizer (well, recently anyway -- since the 60's or so, at least).

EDIT: Okay, the thing I wanted is no longer in production, this is something else. I still want one.

May 19, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Although I love the artwork and the attitude you can get the same thing with one of these...

Actually, the 12AE6A tube that Headroom will use in it's new Hothead (the Pete Millet- designed hybrid amp) would make a very good tube stomp-box.

Hmmm....got to get some bench time in this weekend....

ok,
erix

Jul 8, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 13
>>Although I love the artwork and the attitude you can get the same thing with one of these...

Sorry, wrongo, not even vaguely similar.

>>boy that price has attitude too!

How so? It's handmade in California.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back