LM6172's sound signature?
Aug 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ashy79

New Head-Fier
hi everyone.. how is't?... many seem to like it, but description about its sound is very limited in google...

& how about.. in comparison to the AD8066? or may be the LT1361?

I'm just another LM4562 guy who are looking into better options... the brutal amount of details.. kinda recessed mid... & robotic bass just don't really work well with my setup overall...

thx for any input
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashy79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just another LM4562 guy who are looking into better options... the brutal amount of details.. kinda recessed mid... & robotic bass just don't really work well with my setup overall...

Wow, looks like you hear this chip exactly how I do. I tried it in several applications, never as the headphone drive, and the results were like above. Safe option is AD8599. AD8066 is nice in lower midrange, but has got dry trebles due to weakness of higher mids and lower highs. The bass it has got is huge, indeed, and quite meaty.
LM6172 is another technically sounding op-amp, too smooth in midrange for me, and too metallic in highs. When you bias it into class A, it's oversweetened, while normally slightly cold. Nothing special actually.

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 4
1st of all thanks for inputting

sorry for not stating my setup in 1st place, the opamp is on an audigy, output to AL ada885.. (which I think is weak in midrange....)

I think I'll go for ad8066 & hope to stay happy with it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back