LKS Audio MH-DA003
Aug 7, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #61 of 838
  Check the DPLL bandwidth, it is accessible from the front panel buttons or the remote, try AUTO or WIDE, try the other DPLL options in the menu to see if it makes a difference.
This may help with the timing of the DSD stream.

His problem is a software problem. Nothing wrong with the dac. I sent him a pm to fix this.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #62 of 838
  1. the problem is not the bit rate, is the sampling rate.
For all multiple of 44100hz DSD = 2.8Mhz DSD128 = 5,6Mhz DSD256 = 11,2Mhz
and for 48000hz DSD = 3,05mhz DSD128 = 6,1Mhz DSD256 = 12,2Mhz
Amanero is not handling properly DSD256 for 48000hz multiple

2. for DSD mode you can't change the volume, the sampling rate and the filter because you are not doing any conversion, it is a native play mode.

Thank you kazcou, I also asked Maxim, the developer of ASIOProxy and he confirmed that it should be grayed out in Tools / SACD under DSD mode.  

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #63 of 838
b0bb, In an attempt to fix the "UN-LOCK" issue I tried HQP. Spent 5-6 hours hitting my forehead against the HQP wall with ALL types of settings. It did not work for me, so I do not know if HQP can resolve the "UN-LOCK" issue. Any advice would be appreciated. Alex  

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #64 of 838
maybe you should send a email to amanero and see if they can help you to modify the firmware

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #65 of 838
b0bb, please disregard my SOS appeal. I took a look at my Task Manager and noticed that my system while experiencing issues with HQP did not show any overload in terms of CPU and memory usage. I thought about unnecessary services polluting my system. So I run Fidelizer, and then used the settings kindly shared by Chodi  and HQP got re-animated !!! Now I can upsample 16/44, 24/88, 24/96, 24/176, 24/192 to DSD256, and my DAC shows DSD256x on it's panel each time.
I still need to explore all available settings to see (hear) what suits me best.
So my strong recommendation to anybody experiencing an unclear / unusual behavior of HQP first check if any weights are handcuffed to the system's balls. 

Thank you for all your time and effort. Alex  

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #67 of 838
Hi,
It is important to note that my DAC is connected to my amplifier with RCA cables. Probably the overall impression would be different with XLR cables. Also do not exclude Foobar from comparison, especially when playing the up-sampled 24-bit PCM files.

In general, my initial impression is that HQP is very good in up-converting 16/44 flacs to DSD256. I think this conversion is HQP's strength.
As for PCM 24/96 and 24/192 - I do not quite understand if there is any difference between Foobar and HQ Player when up-sampling them to DSD256.
The up converted DSFs are good enough but probably I expected more pronounced difference between DSD64 and up-sampled DSD256. The numbers are misleading, when you move up from DSD64 to DSD128, the sound quality will not double. In general, to my ears, high frequency is a little bit excessive in case of DSD playback. 

All the filters are a bit of a jungle to my ears. I have listened to several filters and after 30 minutes of comparing they start sounding very similar, and then they are not easy to choose from. 

I have not compared PCM playback with DSD playback. I am more interested in exploring the DSD concept. 
Regards, Alex

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #68 of 838
"I have not compared PCM playback with DSD playback. I am more interested in exploring the DSD concept."

Right, I'm interested too in the DSD concept, especially the 256 which everyone says sounds awesome & is a huge step up. I'm surprised you don't find any difference between 64 and 256, could be some setting issues, no?

Other thread contributors like b0bb, Chodi, Kazcou Might want to share their opinion/views.

Tx

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #69 of 838
Most likely it is a combination of several factors. I really like the 16/44 sound up-converted to DSD256.
I am still at the beginning of the learning curve, hope the right settings will make the difference. On the other hand I am realistic about my equipment and do not expect miracles.
Alex 

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #70 of 838
Most likely it is a combination of several factors. I really like the 16/44 sound up-converted to DSD256.
I am still at the beginning of the learning curve, hope the right settings will make the difference. On the other hand I am realistic about my equipment and do not expect miracles.
Alex 

But ofcourse it always is, a combination of several factors. Most importantly room acoustics/treatment, having said that i personally have high expectations about playing dsd256 and believe that in a well engineered DAC it makes a HUGE difference (read magical). For example the Lampizator Big 7 which plays out of the world music experience especially on DSD 256 as reported by hundreds if not thousands of owners worldwide (sigh, if only they were cheaper)....

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #72 of 838
So...my problem with the LKS MH-D003 is that it will play dsd128 files stored on my LG G4 phone via usb, but when I try dsd256 is say's error decoding (message on phone screen when using usb audio pro). Does anyone know if the issue is with the audio pro app? I don't think so as the dsd256 files play ok via my ifi micro idsd dac (again using the LG G4 as file host/player).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #73 of 838
  So...my problem with the LKS MH-D003 is that it will play dsd128 files stored on my LG G4 phone via usb, but when I try dsd256 is say's error decoding (message on phone screen when using usb audio pro). Does anyone know if the issue is with the audio pro app? I don't think so as the dsd256 files play ok via my ifi micro idsd dac (again using the LG G4 as file host/player).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Stuart

This question is a kind of FAQ.  I saw twice in JPLAY forum.
This is because MH-D003 accepts DoP up to DSD128, iFi micro iDSD up to DSD256.
Phone applications using USB output are usually DoP and not DSD native.
If you give DSD native DSD256 to MH-D003, then it works.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #74 of 838
Rebuilt the Amanero USB powersupply.
The PS is based on the LT3042, this rebuild addressed a couple of issues particularly the use of conventional electrolytics at the output.
The equivalent series inductance (ESL) and equivalent series resistance (ESR) of the original cap is far beyond the manufacturer specified limits.

Before picture:
The output cap is the brown one at the top center.

After picture:

The 470uF brown cap (ESR 60-80mOhm) replaced by a 330uF Kemet Tantalum polymer (ESR 4mOhm). 
LT's ESR recommendation for output cap is <50mOhm.
Ripple current, current rating increased from 2A -->8.3A

Added bypass caps in the C4 and C5 positions, these are stacked caps to reduce ESL, made with TDK XR7 MLCC ceramic caps + Rubycon Acrylic film SMD caps.
The big red cap is a 10uF WIMA film cap, the little cap in the C6 position is also 10uF, made very small to reduce ESL, a requirement in that part of the circuit.

The rectifiers, the 4 TO220 packages near the blue wiring block, had exposed metal tabs at supply voltage, replaced with the fully insulated Vishay Schottky diodes.
This have very low leakage and very low switching noise.

Final change is the replacement of the Panasonic FC caps with OSCON SEPF polymer caps, this provides a very low impedance and high ripple supply.

The LT3042 is a new design, its main advantage is the ability to keep working at high frequencies, it is still providing effective regulation and power supply rejection at 10MHz and above. Commonly used high performance regulators like the LT1963 stop working around 2MHz, the venerable LT317 quits around 200kHz.
Noise is also very low around 0.8uVrms, much better that the 2 regulators mentioned.

This is one of the main reasons for this rebuild, the original components were not up to the task of extracting maximum performance from the LT3042.
One of the more economical rebuilds with <$30 in parts.

The main benefit is to the Crystek XO driving the the Amandero, and power supply to the XOs is critical.

The sound improvement is along the lines of using an external DDC, the soundstage deepens and there is an immediate improvement in transparency, at the same time the rendering of the transients like clashing cymbals is more defined.

Sibilance common in the DS type DACs is also much reduced.

The unexpected change is the improvement in the low bass, the bass notes hit lower but without muddying the midrange or introducing additional warmth.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #75 of 838
b0bb, thanks for your interesting comments on the MH-DA003 and for sharing all the details about the modifications you tested.

I have my MH-DA003 for a couple of weeks now and consider to install the same modifications. However, I have a few questions:

1) Could you please clarify the modification proposed in post #18? I did not understand the transition before->after (pictures). Which WIMA polypropylene caps did you use? 63VDC 0,15µF MKP or FKP and what spacing (part number?)? How did you come up with the TX2575 249R00 0.05%? I did not find it in the Texas Components web shop. As you said, it is custom order only. Also a Y0706249R280T9L is hard to find in <1ku quantities. Are there equivalent or better quality alternatives which are easier to acquire?

2) Did you install the TPS7A4700 5V regulators from TekDevice (post #37) only on the digital side? Can you suggest an alternative (equivalent or better quality) which is easier to acquire and can be installed without reworking the connections/footprint?

3) In post #44 you mention an Abracon ABLNO femto clock and "Sanyo OSCON-G" caps. What are the specs and part number of the "Sanyo OSCON-G" caps? If the part number is 16SA47M, what would be alternatives easier to acquire? Should these caps be installed only for the ABLNO clock or also for the Crystek CCHD-950X? Which of the two clocks do you prefer? Is there a significant audible difference?

4) Why did you use 14-pin as a socket connection for the crystal oscillator? What are the spacings/diameters? Can you recommend specific parts (part numbers)?

5) Could you please confirm, amend or correct this part list (including quantities):

2x Ticha 994 from Sonic Imagery Labs
2x NJR Muses01
8x RNE1C471MDN1PX
20x MBRF10H100-E3/45
2x PHE426DJ5330FR17T0
4x TX2575 249R00 0.05%
8x WIMA polypropylene caps (part number?)
2x Y006910K0000J0L
3x TPS7A4700-Board (digital side only?)
1x CCHD-950X-25-100.000
2x 16SA47M? ("Sanyo OSCON-G" caps)

I will try to buy most of the parts in Germany and found almost everything available from Mouser or Digi-Key. I can order the Ticha 994 from the US. For some other parts the shipping costs would be higher than the actual price. Therefore I would appreciate alternative recommendations where indicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back