LKS Audio MH-DA003
Apr 23, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #661 of 838
Initial impressions out of the box is positive.
Sound quality wise, it is better than the 003+CCHD950X in every aspect, it about ties with the Schiit Yggdrasil for imaging, instrument separation, sound staging and presentation.
It has more bass slam and impact than the Yggy.

Compared to the 003+Pulsar the 004 is a bit cold and flat especially on the midrange and the soundstage is somewhat smaller.
The 004 falls apart on complex highly compressed tracks, instrument separation and imaging collapses which does not happen on the 003+Pulsar.
The 004 beats the Pulsar combo on bass slam and weight of the low notes, very tight and very deep, not heard that from a DS DAC before, to me, flabby ill defined bass is the hallmark of almost all the DS DACS I have listened to.

My unit has been burning in for about 2weeks.

Sound underwent a lot of changes.
On Day 1 almost all highly compressed pop and rock recordings sounded like the Chipmunks were doing the songs, thankfully this started to subside in the following days.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #662 of 838
A few more pictures on the new USB board power supply

Opamp based discrete regulator

Extra filtering on the output LC-Pi Network formed by the pair of 330uF Panasonic FMs and inductor.
Previous only has a Pi filter on the  DC input side, new one adds the output filter in addition.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #663 of 838
LKS 004 runs very warm, below are temps in 2 critical areas, measurement done using a thermocouple with the case closed

Center of DAC chip. 72.3 degC

Output transistor on discrete I/V. 58.5 degC

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #664 of 838
Mod to add heat shield tape to the Nichicon FGs.
At nearly 60ºC, the FGs will cook in a matter of months, this buys some time for the DAC to settle in and I will replace these with something more robust.
(Cap lifetime calculation estimates this at 7 months @59ºC)

Poor layout of the parts  by LKS, the caps are boxed in leaving no space for airflow. I am going to move the blue caps to the underside to free up more space for the air channel.
Heatspreader on the transistors pointed directly at the caps makes the problem worse.

Shield on the FGs  from various angles.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #665 of 838
The USB input is galvanically isolated from the DAC, unfortunately the metal parts of the USB socket touched the metal front panel, this bypasses the isolator.

This mod corrects it by adding several layers of Kapton insulating tape on the USB connector.

Kapton insulaton around USB connector.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #667 of 838
  Initial impressions out of the box is positive.
Sound quality wise, it is better than the 003+CCHD950X in every aspect, it about ties with the Schiit Yggdrasil for imaging, instrument separation, sound staging and presentation.
It has more bass slam and impact than the Yggy.

Compared to the 003+Pulsar the 004 is a bit cold and flat especially on the midrange and the soundstage is somewhat smaller.
The 004 falls apart on complex highly compressed tracks, instrument separation and imaging collapses which does on happen on the 003+Pulsar.
The 004 beats the Pulsar combo on bass slam and weight of the low notes, very tight and very deep, not heard that from a DS DAC before, to me, flabby ill defined bass is the hallmark of almost all the DS DACS I have listened to.

My unit has been burning in for about 2weeks.

Sound underwent a lot of changes.
On Day 1 almost all highly compressed pop and rock recordings sounded like the Chipmunks were doing the songs, thankfully this started to subside in the following day

003+CCHD950X -does it mean fully modded 003+ CCHD950X ?

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #669 of 838
Below is a more specific lifetime estimate of the Fine Gold caps.

The calculator is from Nichicon. http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/lifetime/dc.html?sr=UFG

This apply to the caps directly next to the 004's output transistors running at 59ºC

The caps are expected to last 7months if the LKS 004 is left powered on 24x7

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #672 of 838
In the last few weeks i heared alot of good things about R2R DAC, especial a Holo Spring DAC. I was very intersting in Holo Level2 DAC and thought gonna buy one to replace my LKS Dual ES9018 DAC and i am very lucky that my friend have one Holo Level2 and yesterday he bring it to my house to let me compare between the LKS Dual ES9018 and Holo Level2 :
20170426_091240.jpg

Gear :
+ Amplifier : Accuphase E600 classA
+ Speaker : Tannoy Turnberry GR
1. Holo level2 + Singxer SU1 (I power on it 3 hours before testing)
2. LKS Dual ES9018 MH-D003 with modded USB board.

Result :

After a few hours testing and listening 2 DAC, i decide to keep my ES9018 DAC :))
Yes, i was very impressing with the Holo level2 when first time hearing it. It have very very softly and sweet mid tone. Especial the voice of singer was very thick when compare to the ES9018. And it sound more analog, more "cd" than the ES9018.

But after all i will keep the ES9018 and gave up the idea that buying Holo Level2 because the holo level2 have less details than the ES9018 alot. Holo level2 also lost a very-high range and mid-high range, so the sound could not "open" like the ES9018.

Holo Level2 is great DAC but i like the ES9018 more because my type of music.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #675 of 838
After a few hours testing and listening 2 DAC, i decide to keep my ES9018 DAC :))
Yes, i was very impressing with the Holo level2 when first time hearing it. It have very very softly and sweet mid tone. Especial the voice of singer was very thick when compare to the ES9018. And it sound more analog, more "cd" than the ES9018.

Adding the Corning CGW caps in parallel with the opamp bypass (Panasonic FM) caps will bring out the midrange fullness. Use a value of 100-220pF, either the CY or TY series will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back