Living in Seattle
Feb 28, 2011 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pat1006

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Currently, I live in Philadelphia but I am moving to Seattle for six months because of an internship. 

I was hoping you guys that are from Seattle could help me out with recommendations on what to do/see while I am there. Also, any good happy hour spots or weekend party spots would be great.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 18
I am going to be within a mile of Amazon's campus. Other then that, I am not sure where I will be living. I will not have a car and I will be using public transportation or walking to get everywhere.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 18
I haven't lived in Seattle, but have visited a couple dozen times. Beautiful city. Go get a burger at Dick's - always a favorite! Take the ferries around and see the islands, too.

Also, be sure to travel around the Northwest a little. Go see Vancouver, BC and Portland.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 18
X2 for going to Dicks (I actually saw Bill Gates there one time, hahahahaha, it was pretty awkward).

I haven't been on the ferries in a while, but it'll be fun if you go on a clear sunny day.

I've lived in the Seattle area all my life.

If you're going to be travelling through the Seattle area, there are a ton of public transit buses that run through downtown Seattle (if you do end up using the bus often and you go outside of downtown Seattle, I recommend purchasing a prepaid Orca card since it's easier to pay with), but cars work fine too (traffic can be backed up sometimes just FYI).

1. The view from the Space Needle is breathtaking if you go on a clear day/night (though I think it costs $15 to ride the elevator to the top).
  2. It might be worth visiting the Seattle Pacific Science Center (the IMAX theater is one of the main features there and the butterfly house is pretty neat if you're into them)
  3. The International District/Chinatown is something worth looking through if you're into the Asian cuisine (all you can eat Chinese hot pot at the Hong Kong Bistro or stone pot rice dishes from the Hong Kong Homestyle restaurants)
  4. The Wing Luke Museum is also in the International District and is a great museum if you're into the Asian history of Seattle
  5. Pike Place Market and the Waterfront are a unique Seattle attraction, if you go on a clear sunny day the view is pretty amazing
  6. There's also the Experience Music Project (EMP) museum though I myself haven't been there in a while
  7. The University District/U-Village is a shopping complex near the University of Washington (where I go to school :)) that's worth going to just for the experience
  8. Alki Beach is a bit West of the main part of Seattle, but it's another favorite attraction spot; it's a good place to go jogging/biking/roller blading/walking the dog/or just relaxing in general

Apart from those, I can't think of anything at the top of my head. It's 1:30am though so I might have some more ideas later, hahahahaha.

Out of curiosity, what kind of internship are you doing?

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 18

Thank for the recommendations so far. I do plan on traveling during the weekends. I have never been to the west coast so I figured I will see as much as I can during the six months I am out there.
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of internship are you doing?

I am doing a software development internship at Amazon. 

Thanks again for the help so far!

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 18
Some great suggestions so far.  Nothing really much to add...there's a lot of small restaurants and things that are great.  As far as bars and such, there's a few down in that area (South Lake Union), and every now and then another pops up because of the Amazon campus being built.  A lot depends on what your scene is, since most of the time I'm either hanging out with gamer geeks or goths, so my suggestions on party spots may not be so helpful.

Quote:
I am doing a software development internship at Amazon. 

I thought so, when you were specific about being near the Amazon campus.  I currently work for them on one of the retail teams, and my team is moving to the South Lake Union campus in April.  Maybe we can grab drinks or something! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 18
You might  want to visit snoqualmie falls, There is a path that you can walk to the base of it to really take it in. Edit... After looking at the web site, it appears the hiking trail is closed till 2013.
http://snoqualmiefalls.com/

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 18
If you don't mind another non-Seattle-specific post, be sure to visit the other major west coast cities if you've never been out here. Try to make a weekend in San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. I'm crazy about every big city on the left coast. If you can swing a visit to any, you'll love them.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
You might  want to visit snoqualmie falls, There is a path that you can walk to the base of it to really take it in. Edit... After looking at the web site, it appears the hiking trail is closed till 2013.
http://snoqualmiefalls.com/

That is a neat place.   A friend of mine had a small wedding at the Salish Lodge, and we did a little foot hike in the area before the ceremony.  Only bad thing was there was a huge storm that night on the way back, and the drive was a little precarious.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 18
Congrats, coming from Philadelphia, you'll love Seattle, especially if you're the outdoor type. I like NYC n SF, however Seattle is the only US city I want to live in. I'm still working on it. Hopefully in 2 or 3 years, I'll be able to move to Seattle. Definitely go to Vancouver BC, it's one of the best city in the world. If you love Seattle, you'll be blown away with Vancouver. If Vancouver is a US city, I've moved there in a second :wink:

Btw, if you're near MS campus, there's a small chinese restaurant name 'Sichuanese'. It's one of the best authentic chinese cuisine I've tasted here in US. However, many chinese restaurant in Vancouver will blow it away :p

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
If you don't mind another non-Seattle-specific post, be sure to visit the other major west coast cities if you've never been out here. Try to make a weekend in San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. I'm crazy about every big city on the left coast. If you can swing a visit to any, you'll love them.

I have plans to go to San Diego and San Francisco to watch the Phillies play baseball. I am not sure how much other time I will have to explore those cities though. 

Quote:
Congrats, coming from Philadelphia, you'll love Seattle, especially if you're the outdoor type. I like NYC n SF, however Seattle is the only US city I want to live in. I'm still working on it. Hopefully in 2 or 3 years, I'll be able to move to Seattle. Definitely go to Vancouver BC, it's one of the best city in the world. If you love Seattle, you'll be blown away with Vancouver. If Vancouver is a US city, I've moved there in a second :wink:

Btw, if you're near MS campus, there's a small chinese restaurant name 'Sichuanese'. It's one of the best authentic chinese cuisine I've tasted here in US. However, many chinese restaurant in Vancouver will blow it away :p

Hopefully, the Flyers play the Canucks in the Staley Cup finals so I have a reason to visit Vancouver. I will definitely try to check out that restaurant. I don't think even traveling across the city will bother me.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 18
Hockey fan too?  Sweet.  Not many people around here that I can discuss hockey with.  Only one person I see very often, and she's from Canada, unsurprisingly.  Vancouver fan. 
o2smile.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Hockey fan too?  Sweet.  Not many people around here that I can discuss hockey with.  Only one person I see very often, and she's from Canada, unsurprisingly.  Vancouver fan. 
o2smile.gif

If you know of any street hockey leagues, let me know. I am missing my teams Spring season so I need to find a way to stay in shape...

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 18
pat1006.......I agree with miceblue, the Space Needle is a must see.  I have eaten dinner several times in the restaurant on top.  The view is spectacular, and the restaurant seating is on a turntable that makes one revolution per hour, so while you are eating dinner or having drinks in the bar area you get an eventual 360 degree view of the Seattle skyline.  Go about an hour before sunset.  Quite an amazing sight.

Also, the underground Pikes Peak market is lots of fun, too.  Don't miss it.  Keep a light rain coat or umbrella handy.  It rains often in Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back