Living in Japan (Geisha,Gangsters,and Godzilla) A Diary.
Jun 3, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #151 of 215
I really don't like the typical potato/onion/carrot Japanese curry. It comes in mild/spicy/very spicy varieties. 
The curry sauce over meats like Pork Katsu and beef curry do tend to be thicker and more gravy like and less spicy as to not overwhelm the meats taste....if done right.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #152 of 215
The best tasting curry that I've had so far was the Sri Lankan curry I had at a friend's house years ago. Its spicier than Indian curry and while thick it is not as oily. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #153 of 215

Thai curry is my 2nd fave but outta the J curries I'll take a good pork katsu curry with a mild and thick sauce (no veggies)
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #154 of 215
  I like Japanese curry, its got a sweeter taste to it than Indian curry.

you should try Thai curries, they are a nice mix of sweet and spicy, I use a good bit of molass in my curry [Dark Soy Sauce and brown sugar] although I still ike "warm ya bones" spicy curry, not so much having the spice hit your tounge and pellet, but more of a coats the back of your throat and lingers in your stomach kind of spicy, if you layer Thai curries right, they have a nice sweet taste with a good kick at the end of the flavor profile, which means it''s not spicy till you stop eating it... then it burns for the next 2 days <3 

although I forgot to cook my chilies with the meat, when you get a good sear on those seeds it really kicks the heat up a notch ;3

good stuff for when your sick

I really don't like the typical potato/onion/carrot Japanese curry. It comes in mild/spicy/very spicy varieties. 
The curry sauce over meats like Pork Katsu and beef curry do tend to be thicker and more gravy like and less spicy as to not overwhelm the meats taste....if done right.

The best tasting curry that I've had so far was the Sri Lankan curry I had at a friend's house years ago. Its spicier than Indian curry and while thick it is not as oily. 

Hmm sounds good, I like a thinner curry, but I need to work at thickening mine... not sure how to thicken curry without using, Flour, Butter or some kind of cream... all this dairy free gluten free foods a thick sauce do not make >.> need my French Stables to get a nice Nappe 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #155 of 215

Thai curry is my 2nd fave but outta the J curries I'll take a good pork katsu curry with a mild and thick sauce (no veggies)
biggrin.gif

honestly that does look nice n tasty, and I'm sure some one is building that curry with a mirepoix [which is most likely removed before it's served] I usually leave my herbs in the sauce, and just serve around em you get the flavor of veggies without the bulk. Still I like a SPICY curry with lots o veggies, I might have to try that pork curry ya got there! Looks yummy Might rub me some pork chops in a chili dry rub, before I hit em with some egg wash and bread crumbs! 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #156 of 215
Maybe you could add some coconut milk to thicken the curry.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #157 of 215
  Maybe you could add some coconut milk to thicken the curry.

Oh I did, I added quite a bit, about 3 cans. I have my recipie and method on another thread, but Coconut milk still isn't quiet thick enough, yes with enough cans of it I could get a nice thickness, but that would wonk out the flavor and just be a pain to work around

honestly though, my curry is only 3 hours old at this point, Curry is something that's best after it's cooled down and mellowed for about 8 hours. Tommorow it will be thicker, more flavorful and a hell of a lot spicier, when that stuff cools down the flavors mellow and bloom nicely, not to mention it thickens up. It's great mircowave food as once it's mellowed it doesn't change much once you re heat it [assuming your not blastign it in the nuker for like 10 mins] 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #158 of 215
  Oh I did, I added quite a bit, about 3 cans. I have my recipie and method on another thread, but Coconut milk still isn't quiet thick enough, yes with enough cans of it I could get a nice thickness, but that would wonk out the flavor and just be a pain to work around

honestly though, my curry is only 3 hours old at this point, Curry is something that's best after it's cooled down and mellowed for about 8 hours. Tommorow it will be thicker, more flavorful and a hell of a lot spicier, when that stuff cools down the flavors mellow and bloom nicely, not to mention it thickens up. It's great mircowave food as once it's mellowed it doesn't change much once you re heat it [assuming your not blastign it in the nuker for like 10 mins] 

Wish I knew more about cooking; however my knowledge in cooking is about as good as my Japanese which is pretty much non-existent. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #159 of 215

TOTALLY agree
 Man I'm a big time Italian cook and the sauces always benefit from cooling, slight water evap and a tightening of the flavors. My sauces taste better on day 2. We used to cook  the next days sauce the day before when I worked at a Sicilian joint when I was a kid.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #160 of 215
Thai curries can make one feel good, but consuming them day after day:

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #162 of 215

Agreed...this is 2 days ago

Great...now I don't know whether I should go out and have curry or a nice burger for dinner tonight...

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #163 of 215
You guys are making me hungry as heck and it's 4am........

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #164 of 215
You guys are making me hungry as heck and it's 4am........

tee hee, too bad you don't have a big pot of curry in your fridge ^^

TOTALLY agree
 Man I'm a big time Italian cook and the sauces always benefit from cooling, slight water evap and a tightening of the flavors. My sauces taste better on day 2. We used to cook  the next days sauce the day before when I worked at a Sicilian joint when I was a kid.

YUP, I'm a cullinary student but my mother was Scillian so I picked it all up growing up, funny that your in a simmilar boat as me  food wise ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back