Living abroad: Headphones, a true hifi solution in a small size
Aug 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Justice Strike

100+ Head-Fier
as some of you might know, some months ago (just 6 days over 3 months to be exact) I've moved from Europe to Thailand. Suffice it to say that I wasn't able to bring my "hifi" set with me.

I use the term "hifi" loosely, because it was a cheap creative kit combined with a good soundcard. While it wasn't the best I've ever heard, and my headphones are better than that, i did enjoy listening to it very casually. It just feels a lot more free than having a headphone on.

Just before I went I was able to get my hands on a sony pfr-v1. It had an amplifier with it and I thought, well might come in handy. When I got it i wasn't really that impressed. But now that I am in Thailand I'm really appreciating it. It is the next best thing to having real high end speakers at home. It really does sound a lot like not having an headphone on, especially the fact that you can watch tv and or hear others talking with the thing on your head.

I am however still getting some speakers though. While the headphones are great. Just one person will be enjoying it. major flaw in headphone design :wink:

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 4
smile.gif
 in a cramped dorm space where i am living right now, these cans give me my small piece of heaven! and i don't disturb others with my great music...

i can relate to how you feel. music becomes much personal and intimate with headphones.especially in a place far from home, the music takes you back somehow 
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 4
I just won a $1,500 DAC, but it's too heavy to take with me when I move back to China in 4 moths 
mad.gif
 Why do they make those cases do heavy? I know it gives people a great ego wank to buy something with a metal case and half inch faceplate, but there's really no reason to have a heavy metal case on everything. It's just a DAC for god's sake...

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 4
i'm first going to see if i can get a good internet connection, then a tv or a speaker system.... although I'm thinking about the latter as I'm more with friends then i used to be in Europe. And friends and tv don't go together while music can play all night long :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back