Livewires with Kenwood DAP
Sep 29, 2007 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

El Duderino

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a higher end pair of IEMs to replace the Shure E4 that I'm currently using with a Kenwood HD30GB9.

The debate is currently between the Livewires and Shure SE530. I've read several threads on the relative merits of each of these IEMs and have yet to form a clear impression as to which is "better" for a range of genres, but particularly rock and hip-hop.

The concern I have with the Livewires is the apparently high sensitivity and the potential for crazy hiss! I'm already getting background hiss from the Kenwood on-board amp through the E4 which are considerably less sensitive than the Livewires. On the other hand, they don't have the Shure rolled off highs and maybe more of an "upgrade" from the E4 than the SE530.

Any experiences or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

El Duderino

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 17
Both livewires and shures have crazy high sensitivity. I've used the E500 with two Kenwood, and the hiss at home was very annoying. I wouldn't suggest either IEM with the Kenwood, unless you want to use a good volume attenuator.

One option could be to wait for the Westone 3, is much less sensitive than both the Livewires and E500.
You could also try the Denon AH-C700 (low sensitivity), or the Etymotic ER4P. The Etys are also a great match for Kenwood DAPs (see here for more: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246333).

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the reply Antonyfirst. You advised me on the Kenwood HD30 a few months ago and I have been very pleased with the purchase so your advice is appreciated (and clearly reliable).

I've read several reviews on the ER4 on the forums, including the thread you linked to, and realize that I have completely overlooked these IEMs in favor of the newer (more expensive) 2- / 3-driver designs. More is not necessarily better I suppose.

However, most of the talk seems to emphasize the need for a dedicated amp with the ER4. Did you find that the onboard Kenwood amp was able to replicate the sound that you are able to get out of a dedicated amp? Secondly, how's the soundstage on the ER4? If the spacialization is worse than the Shure E4 then it may not be for me. Do you think the ER4, paired with the Kenwood, can sound good while listening to rock/hip-hop or am I going to have to listen to strictly classical!

El Duderino

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 17
I wouldn't want to listen to rock or hip hop on an er4p, and I've got the similar and supposedly bassier im716. Nevertheless, Antonyfirst makes a very good point. I vaguely recall reading that the new Q-jays don't pick up hiss; perhaps they would be a decent option. Otherwise any extremely sensitive IEM could be used with the Kenwood provided you add a resistance adapter, but that might be a pain.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the suggestions.

I would be inclined to pick up the Livewires in an instant if it weren't for the concern about hiss. If Antonyfirst's description of hiss with his Shure e500 is anything to go by (click on the link in his post above), then the Livewires are only going to be worse. There is the option of course to order one of their high impedance cable options at some point in the near future.

I'm going to rule out the Shure E500--I want to know what these highs that all the Ety fans keep talking about actually sound like and the Shure sound unfortunately won't let me experience this first hand.

The best option may, perhaps, be to wait for the Westone 3...but that may be a long, long wait.

El Duderino

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 17
Are you considering any kind of amp to go with your kenwood? Getting the right amp along with livewires can dampen out the hiss, and really color the sound coming from your kenwood in a really beautiful way.

I know the livewires are very sensitive and analytical...but I have a misterx XP amp to be paired with them. The xp is a warm sounding amp that has great bass extension, so I hope I strike a nice balance between the two components of my rig.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sound alone, e500/se530 > livewire T1

Not everyone is in agreement with that statement. From what I understand, the Livewires match the bass response of the E500, exceed it in high frequency reproduction but lose out vs. the smooth Shure midrange. Consequently, opinions vary on which is actually better SQ-wise...

Furthermore, from what I understand, the E500 may not be a huge upgrade vs. my current Shure E4 apart from bass extension. By all accounts, the midrange is highly comparable.

I will wait to see if the more recently ordered Livewires come with the 50 ohm adapter. If this can dampen hiss without compromising SQ then this may be the one for me. And, no, I'm not planning on buying an amp to pair with the Kenwood. The reason I bought the Kenwood in the first place was due to the SQ improvements resulting from the onboard digital amp and the desire to retain this SQ in a highly portable setup.

El Duderino

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 17
im a noob at audiophile so can anyone answer the following question? sry in advance for incorrect terminology.
whats the most important frequency band for rock music?
the bass, mids, or highs?
what about for metal and pop?
thanks

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 17
are the livewires supposed to hiss badly? They use the same drivers as the ER-4, if I recall correctly, so they should be roughly comparable to the 4p in that regard, all else being equal. Of course, there's no reason to assume all else is equal.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 17
Hi,

I found that Kenwood+Rock EQ setting gives the Etys an awesome tonal balance. It's also better than "Kenwood(flat eq)+Xin Supermacro", so you get the picture.
That combo made me happy to sell the E500, since after having discovered the Rock preset the E500 sounded fairly inferior to my ears.
I listen mainly to rock with my DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back