Livewires or Westone UM2?
Dec 12, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 39
I would go with UM2's - They are extremely comfortable - just got off a plane and had them on for 4 hours straight. The bass is excellent and as others have said they are very musical plus you have some decent resale value.They are also very good unamped if you want to go that way at times. I'm not knocking Livewires, they get lots of good reviews here but so do UM2's and while I have not used customs, I find the UM2's are more than comfortable enough for me.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #17 of 39
^in accordance with resale, livewires are customs and therefore will not benefit from this. If I'm not mistaken ear-impressions cost some-odd $50, and more, if you live in Australia. At your age your canals will change, too; so they may not fit after a couple of years of growing. UM2s are not something that a lot of people regret, anyways; go for them.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 39
I have had the UM2's for some time but prefer the PortaPros. Yes but they aren't IEM's, you are right but the UM2's, for me, fail to deliver and I think for the money you could find something that would, could, offer much more. What about the new Klipsch IEM's?

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #19 of 39
So since I am 16 and still growing, the structure of my ear will also change correct? How much would it cost to have an impression redone then remold my Livewires?

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #21 of 39
Oh okay thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif
I am sorta set on buying the Livewires. They cost $249 right? Also, should I e-mail Livewires directly or buy from TTVJ?

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 39
At your age, I would suggest going to an audiologist simply because you're still growing and the professional opinion might be good for getting a ballpark estimate on how much will change and when as you get older.

They'll probably hit you with an office visit but be upfront about what you're doing there and what you're after.

I went the cheap way. A friend of mine works at a local beltone labs so she did the impressions for me. I think she said she only charges $15 or $25 for the impressions.

We did wide-open mouth impressions. As your jaw moves, the ear canal changes a bit.

20 minutes of drooling and I was out the door with impressions in hand. Mail them off and its waiting by the mailbox time.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh okay thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif
I am sorta set on buying the Livewires. They cost $249 right? Also, should I e-mail Livewires directly or buy from TTVJ?

Yes, $249.

If you're in US I'd phone them - threads indicate they work better with conversations. I'm Australian so my discussions were via email and, particularly when they are busy (Read - it's the holiday season so e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y's busy), it can be a number of days between email responses. (but they do get to the emails, you just have to be patient).

If TTVJ does it at the same price then that's another option. Whether that still gives you the 30Day money back guarantee I'm not certain - dealing direct definitely gives you access to the guarantee (not that you'll need it says this Livewires convert!
wink.gif
).

If you establish a professional relationship with your chosen audiologist I would suspect you'd be able to discuss/negotiate a suitable return timeframe to consider new impressions, including a suitably discounted cost (if any).

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Sounds good but the only draw back is me getting ear impressions.. how do those go? How much do they cost?

chickenbud the easiest part of the whole deal is getting the the impressions made. get out the yellow pages, look under audiologist, call as many as u can and get best quotes about getting impressions done - remember impressions not moulds as they are 2 greatly different things with a big dif in costs.

the act of making ear impressions itself feels a little weird but is totally painless and takes 10-20mins atmost. make sure u have a biteblock handy because u want (emphasis WANT to them) an open mouth impression. and thats all there is to it and u leave with the silicon ear impressions. if it cost more than $10/ear, they're overcharging IMO.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #25 of 39
Okay thanks for the tip. I think I will get them from TTVJ but I guess I'll check up if the 30 day guarantee works. I've bought from TTVJ before so I know hes a good and friendly person to deal with. Also what should I say to my audiologist? I think I am supposed to say that the ear impressions are supposed to go to the second ___ of my canal? And that I want an open mouth impression. Where do I get a biteblock? Do they supply one to me?

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Okay thanks for the tip. I think I will get them from TTVJ but I guess I'll check up if the 30 day guarantee works. I've bought from TTVJ before so I know hes a good and friendly person to deal with. Also what should I say to my audiologist? I think I am supposed to say that the ear impressions are supposed to go to the second ___ of my canal? And that I want an open mouth impression. Where do I get a biteblock? Do they supply one to me?

Check out the Ultimate Ears video (and get the downloadable Audiologist instructions) from here. That should show you what it's all about.

When I got my impressions I didn't do the full open mouth and regret it (I needed remakes done
frown.gif
). So be pedantic and use the Ultimate Ears guide as a reference.

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #27 of 39
Okay thanks I will go around calling Audiologists in my area requesting an open mouth ear impression thanks! Well, do they supply one?

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #28 of 39
I emailed someone from Livewires, and they recommended that I not open my mouth the whole 7-8 minutes during my impression but just sometimes to stretch my jaw...

Now I am confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back