Livewires Dual VS Triple?
Aug 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sphb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Any idea on how do these two fare against each other?

I haven't seen anyone compare the two... And everyone seems pretty satisfied with either one...

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 14
I was considering the triples. But it seems that many people have been having issues with them. The main issue was that they sounded very "veiled", and a couple times it was attributed to potential quality-control problems. So yeah, both sound very appealing based on the specs, but I've been hesitant.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering the triples. But it seems that many people have been having issues with them. The main issue was that they sounded very "veiled", and a couple times it was attributed to potential quality-control problems. So yeah, both sound very appealing based on the specs, but I've been hesitant.

Hm? I haven't heard of quality problems yet... Anywhere I can find info on that?

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 14
I talked to john diles of livewires concerning duels versus triples. He said: "We carry triples because everyone else does. I don't understand it"

He said that most of the musicians he fits opt for dues, though they can easily afford triples. and remember, more drivers doesn't necessarily mean better sound.
John told me, if i don't like the sound signature of the duels, he'll allow me to upgrade for the cost of the difference, easy.

He said the frequency response is so accurate and wide that there really isn't any need for it.

Don't take my word on it though. Call him. He will likely be happy to address your question. I don't see any reason to think he's lying. he could easily have told me the trips are far better than the duels, and made more money off it. but he didn't.

Oh, and antony, the quality issues with the triples were with fidelity (opposed to livewires), i believe. something about the crossover being left out completely, and an entire faulty batch.
I believe

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Hmm... But logically speaking, shouldn't they sound different given the different number of drivers used plus the placement of the drivers?

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 14
Different: yes

Better: not necessarily.

i suppose it depends on what you listen to, frankly. I know, based on the livewires thread (i'm now half way through of 250 pages) that the duels, which have been around longer, seem to be relatively well rounded and transparent. What i take from that, is that they are suited for a wide variety of music and have a wide soundstage.

I don't have either yet, (should have my duels by the end of next week), but from what i've read, the livewires do well with the areas of rock to alternative rock (pretty wide area, what i listen to), but do pretty well in other areas.

I'm a "no EQ" kind of guy; i just don't like spending <$100 on earphones, and then fiddling with the EQ to get the sound right. Makes me wonder what i'll think of these.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I talked to john diles of livewires concerning duels versus triples. He said: "We carry triples because everyone else does. I don't understand it"
He said the frequency response is so accurate and wide that there really isn't any need for it.

Can't say anything about the triple driver version but my LW T1 have a frequency response that in the highs is limited to 11 KHz! While the hearable spectrum is quite nicely balanced there is no sparkle or brillance to speak of. High hats and acoustic guitars, for example, sound very weak. The LWs are not better than my Altec Lansing UHP-336 (UE super.fi 3) and already the Shure SE-310 do a better job overall, not to speak of SE-530, TF-10Pro, Westone 3, and IE8.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 14
huh. just repeated what i was told.

Have you taken these tests yourself? I Have read in various thread about different customs, that the shape of the piece and length of the channel from the drivers to your inner ear can make changes from one listening experience to another.

then again, if that's the specs of the drivers (and you didn't get that number yourself), then i can understand that you don't think they have sparkle (which is cool by me, as i have TMJ and can't tollerate over accented highs).

here are the specs per site... they might have changed since you got the T1

* Drivers: Dual balanced armatures (Tweeter / Woofer)
* Frequency Response: 20Hz – 18KHz
* Sensitivity (at 1 kHz): ~126 dB/mW
* Impedance: 22 ohms
* Isolation: 25-28 dB (depending on accuracy of impressions)
* Max Input Power: 150mW
* Distortion: Less than 0.3%
* Cord Length: 50 inches standard….64 inches optional
* Net Weight: ~2 oz. (varies with ear size)
* Output Connector: Gold-plated 3.5mm phone, stereo

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 14
I tested them using a series of sine wave signals. At 10 KHz the level is roughly the same as at 1 KHz. At 11 KHz the signal is already clearly recessed. When going higher another 1 KHz, at 12 KHz, the signal level is an estimated 10 to 15 dB lower. With equalization (on a rockboxed iPod 5G with "precut" volume compensation) the highs in this frequency range can be boosted but they will have a somewhat grainy character. At 13 KHz my T1s don't transmit any perceivable signal. (BTW, I'm 45 years old and my hearing goes up to 17 KHz). I have bought these LW T1s about 18 Months ago. Can't say anything about the current production model. I don't claim that a triple driver IEM will have a better frequency range. As a matter of fact, the *single driver* Phonak Audeos are able to deliver 15 KHz almost without any drop in level.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tested them using a series of sine wave signals. At 10 KHz the level is roughly the same as at 1 KHz. At 11 KHz the signal is already clearly recessed. When going higher another 1 KHz, at 12 KHz, the signal level is an estimated 10 to 15 dB lower. With equalization (on a rockboxed iPod 5G with "precut" volume compensation) the highs in this frequency range can be boosted but they will have a somewhat grainy character. At 13 KHz my T1s don't transmit any perceivable signal. (BTW, I'm 45 years old and my hearing goes up to 17 KHz). I have bought these LW T1s about 18 Months ago. Can't say anything about the current production model. I don't claim that a triple driver IEM will have a better frequency range. As a matter of fact, the *single driver* Phonak Audeos are able to deliver 15 KHz almost without any drop in level.

I would venture to guess that you either have a fit problem that is leading to this or you have some bum drivers in your livewires. I have fidelity customs, which should be the same from what I understand, and I thought my hearing tanked at 15K and I heard a 16K tone with them.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TyRip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would venture to guess that you either have a fit problem that is leading to this or you have some bum drivers in your livewires. I have fidelity customs, which should be the same from what I understand, and I thought my hearing tanked at 15K and I heard a 16K tone with them.

I'd agree here, that it might be the particular set then, cause this is the first time i'm reading this issue.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 14
I've heard that LWs are really good at highs... I looked into them because I'm quite the sucker for great vocals and highs but not too particular about having strong bass. I'd prefer insanely accurate sounds rather than mad amounts of bass.

Any thoughts on the higher and mid range?

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Oh, and antony, the quality issues with the triples were with fidelity (opposed to livewires), i believe. something about the crossover being left out completely, and an entire faulty batch.
I believe

Have these quality control issues been resolved? I would like to know, and I believe the op would as well. If they have been, it makes the triples very appealing to me.

Also, to the op I read on the fidelity site that the treble on both dual and triple is the same. So I'm assuming the difference between the two is that on the triple is the bass and mids now have different drivers. If you're mainly interested in highs perhaps the dual is a better deal?

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have these quality control issues been resolved? I would like to know, and I believe the op would as well. If they have been, it makes the triples very appealing to me.

Also, to the op I read on the fidelity site that the treble on both dual and triple is the same. So I'm assuming the difference between the two is that on the triple is the bass and mids now have different drivers. If you're mainly interested in highs perhaps the dual is a better deal?

Actually the quality control is not really a problem because I'll be getting mine from Jaben and they don't have any complaints so far. Jaben gets their IEMs from the CA office by the way...
I'm just wondering if the improvement in sound would justify the difference I am paying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back