Livewires - California Dreamin'
Nov 1, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #3,136 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two months? argh!!!
angry_face.gif
I certainly didn't expect to get mine in 2009 when I ordered mine (mid-Oct)!!!!

I don't think that will happen mine were there on the 16th and I think I am getting them back at the end of next week or very early week before that at the most

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #3,137 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my LiveWires soon four weeks ago but the fit is disappointing. They are very comfortable and sounds fantastic when they seal properly. However, they will almost only seal when the outer part is pushed slightly forward. Most of the times the seal is lost spontaneously after a second or so but if I am sitting still it sometimes stays a bit longer - especially after having them inserted for more than half an hour so the ear canal has expanded somewhat.

Well, considering either sending them back for fixing et EarPeace or letting a local audio technichian do his thing. The local guy is experienced in thi area and was recommended to me by my audiologist. Somehow I see that a local person would have an easier time finding out what to do in order to make them fit properly. That is, unless I should try to get a whole new casing with new impressions and everything... Some of you have gone through this a lot, what is your take on it?

I must also add that the manufacturing process was a bit slow. It took two months from them having my impresion until I got my LiveWires (with EMS delivery). Well... When they fit snugly the sound is outstanding so I really really want to get a good seal.

Can you others smile w/o losing the seal? When I smile I loose it big time and the earpieces are starting to crawl out of my canals...

/ Jonas

Just apply layers of clear acrylic model paint, one layer at a time - with a 12+ hour period of drying between layers. And test the fit each time the next layer is dry, and do this until it is just right.

My spare pair of Livewires took 3 layers of acrylic to tighten the fit to be just right.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3,138 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two months? argh!!!
angry_face.gif
I certainly didn't expect to get mine in 2009 when I ordered mine (mid-Oct)!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that will happen mine were there on the 16th and I think I am getting them back at the end of next week or very early week before that at the most

I know that they had some problems with US customs holding a shipment of drivers and that was likely one of the reasons for the delay. Hopefully other people will have faster shipments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just apply layers of clear acrylic model paint, one layer at a time - with a 12+ hour period of drying between layers. And test the fit each time the next layer is dry, and do this until it is just right.

My spare pair of Livewires took 3 layers of acrylic to tighten the fit to be just right.

Mmm, I have seen your posts regarding this and perhaps that would be the best solution. I am just a bit scared that either: 1 I'll make some irreversible damage or more likely 2: If I would need Earpeace's assistance I am fried if I have DIY'ed them first... I have mailed them but as of yet no replies. I could use nail polish for trying the technique out I guess, but it would be nicer to get it done with

You did put acrylic on the whole stem or? Just a nice amount without any running drops?

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3,139 of 3,902
Quote:

Mmm, I have seen your posts regarding this and perhaps that would be the best solution. I am just a bit scared that either: 1 I'll make some irreversible damage or more likely 2: If I would need Earpeace's assistance I am fried if I have DIY'ed them first... I have mailed them but as of yet no replies. I could use nail polish for trying the technique out I guess, but it would be nicer to get it done with

You did put acrylic on the whole stem or? Just a nice amount without any running drops?

I had to tweak one of mine, i just used clear nail varnish, took 3 or 4 coats iirc, although i did take bits off with varnish remover on a Q-Tip where i felt it wasn't sitting quite right. I only painted the stem, but it would depend how much of a mis fit it was. If you do paint yourself, be sure to blank off the sound tubes with something (i used wooden tooth picks, which also provide a handle) so you don't get paint ot anything into the drivers.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #3,140 of 3,902
Quote:

Just a thin layer that isn't enough to drip, or if there is a drip you must brush it off immediately so the paint dries smoothly. Don't forget to plug the sound holes with something like a toothpick.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #3,141 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to tweak one of mine, i just used clear nail varnish, took 3 or 4 coats iirc, although i did take bits off with varnish remover on a Q-Tip where i felt it wasn't sitting quite right. I only painted the stem, but it would depend how much of a mis fit it was. If you do paint yourself, be sure to blank off the sound tubes with something (i used wooden tooth picks, which also provide a handle) so you don't get paint ot anything into the drivers.

Quote:

Just a thin layer that isn't enough to drip, or if there is a drip you must brush it off immediately so the paint dries smoothly. Don't forget to plug the sound holes with something like a toothpick.

OK, I think I will try this then :) I just got a reply from Earpeace and their suggestion was to send them back with new impressions and get a new casing altogether. Hard to call the right decision without having any prior experience with hard IEM's Previously I have only experience with soft Musicians earplugs and IEM universals. It is not easy to know what to expect in the fitting department - a perfect and comfortable fit or should I expect to have minor issues at all times? The general feeling after reading this whole thread and others is that quite a few people have minor issues from start and they get solved but some of them with outright poor fits continue to have troubles even after returns to Earpeace. I really hope I will not repeat the experience FeedMeTrance had...
Btw, when returning earphones do Earpeace pay the return of the package or do you pay both ways yourself?

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #3,142 of 3,902
i'm going to get customs I can feel it in my bones; but I have a few questions.

1. will I get a substantial increase in SQ over say my SE530 if I get livewires

2. does a recable of the livewires take them anywhere near the likes of UE10-11 stock
3. am I better served to just get custom tips for my SE530
4. how do the livewires compare to freqs? this last one you don't have to bother with if you want because I could easily use the search function I guess. although I wonder how many people have both.

at the moment i'm torn between getting the livewires now and doing a recable myself or saving and getting a set of UE11 because as things stand i'm looking to spend inordinate amounts of money to try and squeeze tyhe last bit of performance out of my SE530 ie. building a VCAP dock for my DIYMOD (which will happen regardless) buying a lisa III.

any thoughts?

BTW: its not that I dont like my SE530's because I do; but I can always like something more
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #3,143 of 3,902
I think I did not do my Livewires justice: My first longer encounter was on a railway trip with only the iPod attached.
Now, after longer listening at home using my iBasso D2 Boa as amp I got back the bass and of course did not run into disturbances from outer noises.
For travel I will simply buy a good passive isolation protection as the Peltor Optime Push tu Pull "Phones". This should be available for $ 50 and effectively kill outer noises on the ride. My Beyer DT 770 are bigger anyway and not perfect in isolation either.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3,144 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm going to get customs I can feel it in my bones; but I have a few questions.

1. will I get a substantial increase in SQ over say my SE530 if I get livewires

2. does a recable of the livewires take them anywhere near the likes of UE10-11 stock
3. am I better served to just get custom tips for my SE530
4. how do the livewires compare to freqs? this last one you don't have to bother with if you want because I could easily use the search function I guess. although I wonder how many people have both.

at the moment i'm torn between getting the livewires now and doing a recable myself or saving and getting a set of UE11 because as things stand i'm looking to spend inordinate amounts of money to try and squeeze tyhe last bit of performance out of my SE530 ie. building a VCAP dock for my DIYMOD (which will happen regardless) buying a lisa III.

any thoughts?

BTW: its not that I dont like my SE530's because I do; but I can always like something more
evil_smiley.gif

I have some links posted in my public profile, under "about me" that to you to where I compare the Livewires to Freq Show. Search for my posts in this thread from last September/October where I compare to SE530 and other IEM. That should help get you started.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #3,145 of 3,902
Well, after some tinkering and lots of chatting with John I am actually sending them back for recasting. The fit was strange and perchance it would have been possible to get a decent fit but now they are going back.

This was after consultation with my audiologist who has taken a real interest in this case; She has taken new impressions with various silicone formulas, she is pulling strings at a local hearing aid manufacturer which seemingly do have an outstanding technician when it comes to adjust hard shelled ear inserts - and in general is dead set on making the earphones fit perfectly. And as if that was not enough, she is doing this for free (I paid for the first inserts back in July, but after that, nothing). Sometimes you just find great persons with outstanding attitudes, such as her and John. If you live near me in southern Sweden I can totally recommend her as an audiologist
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #3,146 of 3,902
Quote:

I have some links posted in my public profile, under "about me" that to you to where I compare the Livewires to Freq Show. Search for my posts in this thread from last September/October where I compare to SE530 and other IEM. That should help get you started.

most of the links in your about me area are broken; they lead to the right thread but your posts are nowhere to be seen. looks like i'm onto the search button LOL

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #3,147 of 3,902
Hmm - it seems that the permalinks for several of my reviews that are deep linked in other people's threads are broken now. All the links to threads I started myself work.

Just search for my posts inside those threads and this one and you'll find them. Sorry.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #3,149 of 3,902
I got a cable "The Enyo" for LiveWires T1, from Null Audio.

Headphone/IEM Cable

theenyo.jpg

This is made of 7 core silverwire. It provides more detailed, extended and open highs and mids, punchy and deep bass than the stock cable as my first impression. The microphonics are not so large. Overall, I'm happy with it!

And also I love its straight plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back