Livewires - California Dreamin'
Sep 24, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #3,016 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have went for the FreQshow imo as they fit what you are looking for.

Except for the minor detail that he would have pulled out all his hair by now.
atsmile.gif

If you think LW is difficult to contact from Malaysia, try contacting Freq. They're 3 more hours of time zone change in the wrong direction; they stopped answering the phone and route email to an auto responder. Their "shut down" looks more like running out of cash and trying to stave off bankruptcy.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3,017 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by MediumFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif

If you think LW is difficult to contact from Malaysia, try contacting Freq. They're 3 more hours of time zone change in the wrong direction; they stopped answering the phone and route email to an auto responder. Their "shut down" looks more like running out of cash and trying to stave off bankruptcy.

Bingo, I think you are dead on with that analysis.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #3,018 of 3,902
Thanks for the info Larry. Now i just need to try to borrow one to see if i can actually hear a difference! I can hear a small difference between D2, and D2 with cmoy, i can hear a small difference amped and unamped between lossy and lossless, and i can hear a difference between cables (not interconnects but headphone cable) and last of all, i can hear a minute difference between in SQ (huge difference in hiss) between SM3 through lineout, and ZVM hp/o. The difference between the ZVM amped with SM3 and the D2 headphone out to Cmoy... Less hiss, bigger difference in SQ change.

I need to borrow one to try first because its hard to justify when the U Control has great connectivity options, no hiss, good SQ (balanced, clear) and only cost £29, vs what? £85?? It is a nice size and small enough to use portably as an amp too (if the SQ difference is worth it)

What was hiss like with LW's?

I presume it has enough power to drive most full-size hp's ok for the future?

The U control has enough power, add a cmoy, and SQ is a bit better (more hiss though)...

Matt

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #3,019 of 3,902
Quote:

atsmile.gif

Yeah i know it's pretty hard to contact people over at the US as I, myself is staying in Singapore(GMT+8). I usually pick a safe timing to call over (12am-2am).

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #3,020 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info Larry. Now i just need to try to borrow one to see if i can actually hear a difference! I can hear a small difference between D2, and D2 with cmoy, i can hear a small difference amped and unamped between lossy and lossless, and i can hear a difference between cables (not interconnects but headphone cable) and last of all, i can hear a minute difference between in SQ (huge difference in hiss) between SM3 through lineout, and ZVM hp/o. The difference between the ZVM amped with SM3 and the D2 headphone out to Cmoy... Less hiss, bigger difference in SQ change.

I need to borrow one to try first because its hard to justify when the U Control has great connectivity options, no hiss, good SQ (balanced, clear) and only cost £29, vs what? £85?? It is a nice size and small enough to use portably as an amp too (if the SQ difference is worth it)

What was hiss like with LW's?

I presume it has enough power to drive most full-size hp's ok for the future?

The U control has enough power, add a cmoy, and SQ is a bit better (more hiss though)...

Matt

Hiss has not been a problem for me with the iBasso D2 Boa and LW. It can drive most full size headphones, but like the stock D2 Viper it could use a little more power with HD600 but is still adequate (it's lack of hiss is quiet enough that you still have good dynamic range from quietest to loudest musical sounds). Just do not try to run 600 ohm AKG K240M with it.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #3,021 of 3,902
Hi experts, my 4 year old custom plugs for my shure EC4's are downright nasty after daily use-not to mention they are stiff ....

Would i be better off simply replacing the plugs or doing a set of impression and the livewires. I like the clarity of the shures, but id like to get a punchier sound with a bit more bass. In other words is the praise for the live wires based on the custom fitting or the drivers or combo of both. Thanks and any other suggestions appreciated e.g Westone etc. I will be using them for ipod subway commuting so isolation is a must

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #3,022 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi experts, my 4 year old custom plugs for my shure EC4's are downright nasty after daily use-not to mention they are stiff ....

Would i be better off simply replacing the plugs or doing a set of impression and the livewires. I like the clarity of the shures, but id like to get a punchier sound with a bit more bass. In other words is the praise for the live wires based on the custom fitting or the drivers or combo of both. Thanks and any other suggestions appreciated e.g Westone etc. I will be using them for ipod subway commuting so isolation is a must

The E4c are not bad, but they do not have as much bass as my Livewires. The E4c are also a little more withdrawn sounding and I found they needed an amp more than the Livewires do. I sold my E4c after I had my Livewires a few weeks, you will too.
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #3,023 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E4c are not bad, but they do not have as much bass as my Livewires. The E4c are also a little more withdrawn sounding and I found they needed an amp more than the Livewires do. I sold my E4c after I had my Livewires a few weeks, you will too.
beerchug.gif

thanks for the reply. Im trying to decide what would be a "sweet spot" custom IEM upgrade from the E4c's. I desire in order: (1)isolation; (2) bass punch; (3) warm tone (4)no sibilance. Since i need impressions i figured i get a pair of "concert plugs" and another custom to use with the shure's as back up.

The live wires are looking good now...although a used pair of UM2's and custom plug is also looking attractive

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #3,024 of 3,902
Quote:

I have the SuperFreQs (with the MM crossover), and I like them a lot, but I have not been able to get an order going for the FreqShows (same I have, but with the detachable cables). I agree with you that they are in serious trouble - I am beginning to think that they might not come back, not as we know them today. Looks like I might be ordering a set of LW's soon
wink.gif

Will

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #3,025 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the reply. Im trying to decide what would be a "sweet spot" custom IEM upgrade from the E4c's. I desire in order: (1)isolation; (2) bass punch; (3) warm tone (4)no sibilance. Since i need impressions i figured i get a pair of "concert plugs" and another custom to use with the shure's as back up.

The live wires are looking good now...although a used pair of UM2's and custom plug is also looking attractive

I have a pair of Klipsch Image X10 with Westone UM-56 custom tips that fit that description pretty well - basically like an HD650 with stock cable in an IEM.

My Freq Show 3-driver with MM crossover are more like an HD-600 or RS-2 with upgraded cable, and my Livewires are like an RS-1 with upgraded cable.

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3,026 of 3,902
[size=x-large]Yeah! I picked up my Livewires![/size]

Since I had a class in SF, I jumped on BART. It was so nice going through the trans-bay tube without being deafened. The only "problem" is that I have to pay more attention to the signs at stops because I do not hear the announcements.
beyersmile.png

Since these are my first IEM's, I don't have a baseline for comparison. I just know I like 'em, and that's good enough for now. Later, I'll do an A-B comparison with some Bose QC2's.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #3,028 of 3,902
Quote:

Since these are my first IEM's, I don't have a baseline for comparison. I just know I like 'em, and that's good enough for now. Later, I'll do an A-B comparison with some Bose QC2's.

I think that's all that matters. What benefit will you get from doing the A/B testing? If the logic part of your brain must do the comparison, at least enjoy the Livewires for a couple weeks (or months) first. :p

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #3,030 of 3,902
Anyone has the 50ohm cable? I just got my set of livewires with the normal cable, and it seems too sensitive, that I have not much resolution for volume control.

Will the 50ohm cable help with that? If it will then I might try to ask for a change or something, since i got it less than a week ago.

Any drawbacks from that though?

I saw the other thread about the 50ohm resistor adaptor, but I would prefer feedback about the 50ohm cable itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back